Where are R3 Avantis? Also last Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are R3 Avantis? Also last Avanti

Do we know where all the factory R3 Avantis are?
    The last Studebaker assembled was Avanti #R-5643 on 12/31/63. Anybody know what happened to it?
    Years ago I saw Sherwood Egbert's Avanti for sale at a SDC meet. Did he only have one? How was it equipped, R2 with four speed or automatic? Where is that car now?

I BELIEVE all nine factory R3 Avantis are extant. Those experts on this forum can confirm or deny this. I guess if one says that they are all accounted for then it follows that there whereabouts must be known. At one time a gentleman by the name of George Krem had identified all nine including vin number. So it might be interesting to run them down through the AOAI and see how many appear in their registry. Of course it was common for auto executives to drive company cars as if they owned them when such was hardly the case. So it would be quite difficult to say that an executive "owned" or even drove a certain vehicle. One of the original nine R3s was offered for sale a few years ago for, I believe, $60,000. There are, or course, quite a few "R3" clones out there. And a Merry Christmas to all.

wagone

Comment

I BELIEVE all nine factory R3 Avantis are extant. Those experts on this forum can confirm or deny this. I guess if one says that they are all accounted for then it follows that there whereabouts must be known. At one time a gentleman by the name of George Krem had identified all nine including vin number. So it might be interesting to run them down through the AOAI and see how many appear in their registry. Of course it was common for auto executives to drive company cars as if they owned them when such was hardly the case. So it would be quite difficult to say that an executive "owned" or even drove a certain vehicle. One of the original nine R3s was offered for sale a few years ago for, I believe, $60,000. There are, or course, quite a few "R3" clones out there. And a Merry Christmas to all.

wagone

Comment

Egbert's Avanti still exists, somewhere in Florida I think. I was talking to Michael Myer a while back while looking at his R3 Avanti clone. He was telling me that the owner of the Egbert car had it restored, but they 'overrestored' it. So, Michael's Avanti has a LOT of extra underhood chrome that came off of Egbert's 'overrestored' Avanti. (He swapped his powdercoated parts for the chrome parts). Michael's car is the only one I've ever seen with a chrome brake booster.

Nimesh had one of the 9 R3's a while ago, and if he hasn't sold it recently, he still has it.

Matthew Burnette
        '59 Scotsman
        '63 Daytona
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Egbert's Avanti still exists, somewhere in Florida I think. I was talking to Michael Myer a while back while looking at his R3 Avanti clone. He was telling me that the owner of the Egbert car had it restored, but they 'overrestored' it. So, Michael's Avanti has a LOT of extra underhood chrome that came off of Egbert's 'overrestored' Avanti. (He swapped his powdercoated parts for the chrome parts). Michael's car is the only one I've ever seen with a chrome brake booster.

Nimesh had one of the 9 R3's a while ago, and if he hasn't sold it recently, he still has it.

Matthew Burnette
          '59 Scotsman
          '63 Daytona
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Dumb question, Matthew, but how does someone go about ensuring that it was indeed "Egbert's car". He could have driven a different one every day of the week had he wanted. And the "old saw"...."why buy the cow when the milk is free". Just curious.

wagone

Comment

Dumb question, Matthew, but how does someone go about ensuring that it was indeed "Egbert's car". He could have driven a different one every day of the week had he wanted. And the "old saw"...."why buy the cow when the milk is free". Just curious.

wagone

Comment

Mr. Egbert's Avanti was definitely documented. Also, if I remember correctly the pirate buckles had an 'E' in place of Studebaker's 'S'.

Comment

Mr. Egbert's Avanti was definitely documented. Also, if I remember correctly the pirate buckles had an 'E' in place of Studebaker's 'S'.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wagone

wagone

There was an ad in a '67 or '68 AOAI magazine which I recall seeing somewhere probably this past year, that had an ad for a '64 Avanti for sale, and said "contact Sherwood Egbert at xxx-xxxx" in it!

I saw R-5643 less than one week ago. It is in the Crawford Museum in Cleveland, OH, and has less than 10K miles. It was donated by former Studebaker dealer Joe Erdelac (now deceased). In 1975 he tried to sell the car for $100K (!), which made Cleveland TV and newspapers. There was a handwritten note in the trunk of the car that said something like "This is the last Studebaker Avanti built, 12/31/63, Happy New Year" and was signed by an employee with his badge number as well.

Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                    Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    (formerly Greenville, PA)
                    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                    All are in Australia now

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wagone

wagone

There was an ad in a '67 or '68 AOAI magazine which I recall seeing somewhere probably this past year, that had an ad for a '64 Avanti for sale, and said "contact Sherwood Egbert at xxx-xxxx" in it!

I saw R-5643 less than one week ago. It is in the Crawford Museum in Cleveland, OH, and has less than 10K miles. It was donated by former Studebaker dealer Joe Erdelac (now deceased). In 1975 he tried to sell the car for $100K (!), which made Cleveland TV and newspapers. There was a handwritten note in the trunk of the car that said something like "This is the last Studebaker Avanti built, 12/31/63, Happy New Year" and was signed by an employee with his badge number as well.

Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      (formerly Greenville, PA)
                      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                      All are in Australia now

Comment

Bill, R-5643 is also one of the 9 R3's, correct?

quote:I saw R-5643 less than one week ago. It is in the Crawford Museum in Cleveland, OH, and has less than 10K miles. It was donated by former Studebaker dealer Joe Erdelac (now deceased). In 1975 he tried to sell the car for $100K (!), which made Cleveland TV and newspapers. There was a handwritten note in the trunk of the car that said something like "This is the last Studebaker Avanti built, 12/31/63, Happy New Year" and was signed by an employee with his badge number as well.
                        Matthew Burnette
                        '59 Scotsman
                        '63 Daytona
                        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Bill, R-5643 is also one of the 9 R3's, correct?

quote:I saw R-5643 less than one week ago. It is in the Crawford Museum in Cleveland, OH, and has less than 10K miles. It was donated by former Studebaker dealer Joe Erdelac (now deceased). In 1975 he tried to sell the car for $100K (!), which made Cleveland TV and newspapers. There was a handwritten note in the trunk of the car that said something like "This is the last Studebaker Avanti built, 12/31/63, Happy New Year" and was signed by an employee with his badge number as well.
                          Matthew Burnette
                          '59 Scotsman
                          '63 Daytona
                          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

According to the Avanti Owners Association Calendars from a few years ago, Gary Hess in Florida owns Egberts car. I remember in thepicture it has a set of 1964 style Halibrands on it.

1954 Commander
                            1958 Golden Hawk
                            1963 Daytona Convertible
                            1963 R2 Daytona
                            1963 R2 GT Hawk
                            1963 R1 Wagonaire
                            1963 R4 Avanti
                            1964 Champ
                            1966 Cruiser

Comment

According to the Avanti Owners Association Calendars from a few years ago, Gary Hess in Florida owns Egberts car. I remember in thepicture it has a set of 1964 style Halibrands on it.

1954 Commander
                              1958 Golden Hawk
                              1963 Daytona Convertible
                              1963 R2 Daytona
                              1963 R2 GT Hawk
                              1963 R1 Wagonaire
                              1963 R4 Avanti
                              1964 Champ
                              1966 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X