pitman arm bearing or bearings for a 1964 cruiser, studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: pitman arm bearing or bearings for a 1964 cruiser, studebaker

my 1964 studebaker cruiser steering system needs tightening up. The shop recomends I replace the pitman arm on my cruiser. Perhaps I need to replace the bearings that are on the pitman arm. I'm looking for bearings for that P. arm and I'm looking for advice.

frisky, There are no bearings in or on the Pitman arm. I think you are talking about the bell crank, in the centre of the front cross member. New shaft, shims and bearings are around $40 at SI.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
      frisky, There are no bearings in or on the Pitman arm. I think you are talking about the bell crank, in the centre of the front cross member. New shaft, shims and bearings are around $40 at SI.
      I presume you're referring to Studebaker international?

Comment

thanks for your help

Comment

Yes, but others probably have them too.

Comment

If the shop is not familiar with Studebakers, they may assume that you need bearings when all that you need is to TIGHTEN the cinch bolt and grease the bearings through a fitting accessed through a hole in the crossmember.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The kingpins have bearings as does the bellcrank. The later is usually the problem since the zerk is hidden in the cross member and grease monkeys often miss it when they lube the car - or they under lube it and do not get grease up to the top bearing. They are an ordeal to change but if there is any movement in the bellcrank they must be replaced.

Comment

Thanks from frisky who has the 64 cruiser to Alan, Mr. Cassell, and studegary....much obliged! Not many stude experts left around here!

Comment

Working...
                X