No announcement yet.

What does a 289 bare block weigh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: What does a 289 bare block weigh?

I have one I could weigh but it would take hours to dig it out and rig up a big fish scale.

Should be bare block, main caps and main bolts.

Thanks
    Tom

This is from memory and sometimes that is not very good. I remember around 165 or 170 #'s.
    james r pepper

Comment

That should be close; as I seem to recall something in the neighborhood of 175... yeah, I have that noted in my Sept. '62 "Hot Rod" magazine with the article of engine and component weights. I gave away all my bare blocks four or five years ago and have nothing to weigh... sorry.

Btw, a 283 Shivy of that era was listed as 144# and a 392 hemi at 198#. The aluminum 215ci Buick was... ... 57#! Oh, the precursor of things to come!!!

Comment

I remember seeing a bare buick 215 block in the machine shop where I grew up in Greencastle In. I could pick it up with one hand when I was like 10 or 11 years old. ( I weighed like 80# then).
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

J.P.'s reply is as close as you are going to get. I have weighed blocks and depending on year, design of oiling system and on how much they were bored or how much water had eaten up the insides, they were all around 165 lbs.

Comment

Speaking of light blocks I picked up a bare 289 Ford block with one finger hooked in deck cooling hole. Those engines were amazingly light.

Comment

Originally posted by tomhoo View Post
              Speaking of light blocks I picked up a bare 289 Ford block with one finger hooked in deck cooling hole. Those engines were amazingly light.
              They were a marvel in their day. The heart of the Cobra!
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I remember me and buddy back in high school "cribbed" a complete 289 into a pickup truck with 2 stacks of tires. We rocked it one way, added a tire, rocked it onto that tire, added a tire to the other stack.

Those were not the days! I don't miss them! haha

Comment

Working...
                X