Shop Crane Done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Crane Done

I have the gantry done. Attached is a shot of a 289 long block hanging on it. It only deflected 1/32" as calculated, (not by me). Also attached is a shot of the beam in it's storage / docking place on the ceiling. The final shot is the vertical supports laid down for disassembly. The only thing left to do is to make brackets to hang all the rest on the wall in the corner. I am not sure why the one shot is 90 off? It is rotated where it is stored?

JK
    Attached Files

Sorry, the mystery motor was missing. Damn those small icons.

JK
    Last edited by 3x2stude; 09-07-2016, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Nicely done, now that I see the braces added to the legs. I can think of several times I would have liked to borrow it.

Bob

Comment

Just had some extra stainless and sanitary fittings laying around? There's more money in materials in that hoist than what I have in my car!

Hopefully your ceiling joists are spreading the load over enough to not exceed their limits! That would scare me to try that from the ceiling. With the stand and wheels, OK, but I wouldn't do the ceiling, that's my opinion. The hoist is only as strong as its weakest link. The bolts in the Unistrut.

Will you be installing a roller cart for the hoist so it can roll side to side or front to back?

What are the small rods through the web of the beam for?
        Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
        1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

BILT4ME,

In picture #1, (rotated and I do not know why), it is all assembled, supported off the floor. The second shot is the beam in its storage station, it is hoisted up with a pulley system and pinned to a light frame bolted to the ceiling. It cannot be used without the legs. I am having warning labels made as we speak for the beam and the hoist that lift it. The beam is aluminum and only weighs 80 lbs. I did a different post earlier on the hoist and its workings. The vertical webs are just to stiffen the top and bottom flanges where the legs bolt on. The small rods go through the docking frame and the beam to support it when stored, and not just hanging on the cable, (OSHA thing). I used a little material that I had but bought most of it. I work for a stainless steel equipment manufacturer so I can buy at OEM prices and just pay the sales taxes. With all the materials I am at under $1500.00, including the Northern Tool hoist. Tonight I will be designing the wall brackets to hang all the leg brackets on.

Later,

JK

Comment

OK, now that makes more sense! That sounds like something I would do. Obviously, I had not seen the other thread detailing the build and intended use.

Carry on!

I work for a company that has our own fab shop and I can run most of the machinery. So, as long as I have permission and time, I can buy materials at cost and use the machines for free. Unfortunately, my time is my most valuable asset anymore.....

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
            BILT4ME,

In picture #1, (rotated and I do not know why), it is all assembled, supported off the floor. The second shot is the beam in its storage station, it is hoisted up with a pulley system and pinned to a light frame bolted to the ceiling. It cannot be used without the legs. I am having warning labels made as we speak for the beam and the hoist that lift it. The beam is aluminum and only weighs 80 lbs. I did a different post earlier on the hoist and its workings. The vertical webs are just to stiffen the top and bottom flanges where the legs bolt on. The small rods go through the docking frame and the beam to support it when stored, and not just hanging on the cable, (OSHA thing). I used a little material that I had but bought most of it. I work for a stainless steel equipment manufacturer so I can buy at OEM prices and just pay the sales taxes. With all the materials I am at under $1500.00, including the Northern Tool hoist. Tonight I will be designing the wall brackets to hang all the leg brackets on.

Later,

JK
            Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
            1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Working...
            X