• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: color of the R3 engine

Does anyone have a color code for a R3, Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160604_181308993.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1751678 I know its not a straight up red color. im going to clean this up and re spray it,
    1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.
    Just purchased 63r-3623 R2 was a auto now dressed to a R3 with a4speed.

I don't know if a color code exists for these engines and I don't know if this will help, but these two shots are of a new R-3 just being uncrated and the same engine in the sunlight.
    Attached Files
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
      I don't know if a color code exists for these engines and I don't know if this will help, but these two shots are of a new R-3 just being uncrated and the same engine in the sunlight.
      These two photos are really awesome!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	R3-Engine-2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1708948Click image for larger version

Name:	14203115_10154264852920395_9031078070241325020_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1708947Closest match (I was told) is Chrysler engine red. It as a dead ringer for the 1st of the 9, and also the one I did for Jay Steltzenmuller. They tend to lighten, and turn orange in the heat over the years.
        Last edited by bezhawk; 09-06-2016, 03:42 PM.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Looks like Farmall red.

Comment

Dave Thibeault painted my R3 engine Buick Engine Red. He said that was as close as any to the original color. I don't recall what brand of paint he used, though.
            -Dwight, B69

Comment

Bill Hirsch sells Buick Red engine paint. Here is a link. http://www.hirschauto.com/ENGINE-ENA...UI%20RED%20LT/
              John
              1963 Avanti R2
              Marshall, VA

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]58164[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]58163[/ATTACH]Closest match (I was told) is Chrysler engine red. It as a dead ringer for the 1st of the 9, and also the one I did for Jay Steltzenmuller. They tend to lighten, and turn orange in the heat over the years.
                That Is funny as I have a can of chrysler red in dupont 1632 and it looks close. Was the oil pan black on the original R3 as well. I have seen so many pictures . How is the engine and accessory brackets painted?
                1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.
                Just purchased 63r-3623 R2 was a auto now dressed to a R3 with a4speed.

Comment

The coolant expansion tank is supposed to be red (as in the second pic above). The bellhousing was painted red also. I don't know about the trans. The supercharger was orange, or black if rebuilt.
                  -Dwight, B69

Comment

Actually, the supercharger on Randys car was red too! The oil pan, and breather tube, were also red.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Transmission coolant lines, if automatic, were also painted red on the outside surface, as well as engine mount brackets and insulators front and rear. Obviously the power unit was painted as an assembly, ready for frame mounting. The unit that I worked on was definitely an orange red. I suspect that there was no standard red. Paxton probably used whatever was available at the time of painting. This car was the 2nd last serialed R3 Avanti.

Comment

I worked on this with Dick Bennett when I painted my R3.

206 Ford is the closest.

We compared it to authentic R3 parts Dick had.

Of course, there is the issue of the color changing over 50 years - do you want the color a real one is today or what it was when it was built?

If you think too much about this, your head will explode....

Comment

The 56J motors have that Farmall red look also. I have also seen them in various shades of red, including almost Chevy orange. Chrysler red, Universal red, and a Pr15 red are all pretty close. I agree with tomhoo, age changes paint color, especially red, and a person's head could explode with too much thinking about it.

Comment

Working...
                          X