1951 Champion production order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 Champion production order

I am aware that dealers and previous owners provided accessories/options that wouldn't be listed on the production order but this order seems very "plain." Would this have been the norm during that period? Perhaps I was hoping for more since there are numerous accessories on the vehicle currently.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1951 Production order.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1751677

You don't state what it has for accessories, but it was common for a dealer to load it up with options.

Craig

Comment

It is not unusual for a 1951 Champion to be built with few, if any, options or accessories. This car does have overdrive, Hill Holder and wet air cleaner. Anything else that it may have now was added by the dealer or an owner.

EDIT: Also note that it was built on June 14, 1951 and is not noted as a sold unit. It looks like it was just build-out for stock near the end of the model year.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You have to remember that people in those Days were much more conservative than people today, and Studebaker buyers even more so. Most still remembering their Parents' shock and fear of another 1929 Stock Crash and following depression.

Since that was the case, it would be detrimental to getting an "easy sale" to have Cars on the Lot, Loaded driving the Cost up.
        It was a much smarter option to only add what the buyer wanted at the Sale, and that often did not even include a Climatizer Heating and Defrosting System!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

One of the family Studes was identical to this P/0 except for the color.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

My Dad, a long time new Studebaker purchaser, would never purchase a car with a radio. Our last new Studebaker, a 1964 Commander, also had radio delete. I was happy it had a heater!
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
              /CUT/Our last new Studebaker, a 1964 Commander, also had radio delete. I was happy it had a heater!
              Make that: "NO Optional Radio"!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                It is not unusual for a 1951 Champion to be built with few, if any, options or accessories. This car does have overdrive, Hill Holder and wet air cleaner. Anything else that it may have now was added by the dealer or an owner.

EDIT: Also note that it was built on June 14, 1951 and is not noted as a sold unit. It looks like it was just build-out for stock near the end of the model year.
                I was wondering if it was just a "stock" vehicle. I was informed one of the previous owners liked to accessorize so I didn't know which ones would have been stock or those added at a later date. I haven't looked up all of the part numbers (hoping some would have been on the P/O) but it has several - fog lamps, clock, Climatizer, backup lights (2), outside mirror (2), cigarette lighter, spotlight, radio, and a visor over the windshield. Thank you for the input.

Comment

I have a South Bend 51 Commander with a final assembly date of 6-13-51. My body number is
                  14928 and PHOTOGUYS body number is 10789 and had a final assembly date of 6-14-51. How
                  can there be such a large difference in body numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by paul shuffleburg View Post
                    I have a South Bend 51 Commander with a final assembly date of 6-13-51. My body number is
                    14928 and PHOTOGUYS body number is 10789 and had a final assembly date of 6-14-51. How
                    can there be such a large difference in body numbers?
                    Body numbers were sequential by model (Commander or Champion), body type, and trim level, Paul. Unless your car was also a model 10G-C5, which it isn't, there would be no necessary correlation between his body number and yours. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Photoguy.... Your '51 belonged to a good friend, the late Tom Elliott. It was his first car, and he kept until for about 40 years; selling it just before he passed away.

He joined SDC in the 70s and spent most of his adult life traveling to every big Studebaker car show and swap meet for the sole purpose of purchasing every NOS 51 part he could find, mostly accessories. He loaded the car up with options over the years, though he never got around to restoring it as he was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease shortly after he retired.

One of my favorite memories is getting that car running for the first time in two decades, and cruising around in it with Tom behind the wheel, while he was still physically able to do so.

Now you know a little more of the back story. I hope you've given the car a great home.

Comment

At Reedsville in 2010. Click image for larger version

Name:	starla.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1708958
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

This is kind of an off-shoot question, but when a newer car was traded in would a dealer add accessories to make it more saleable and maybe to deplete old inventory?
                          Rob

Comment

Dealers usually do as little as possible, or spend as little money as possible to doll up a trade in. They will detail and polish the car, but probably not change the oil or lube the front suspension.

Paint and chrome sell a car. Mechanical work? Who cares?
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

My 51 Business Coupe P.O. looks about the same, mine was to a dealer in Morrilton Ar.
                              although it did have Overdrive. Poor people liked new cars too.
                              101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
                              X