Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It was built in 1963 and its got a supercharged V8 but what is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was built in 1963 and its got a supercharged V8 but what is it?

Muscle Car Of The Week Video Episode #138: 1964 Studebaker Avanti Paxton Supercharged R2

Nice presentation except for the burnout flop. Killed the theme totally. Why? AFB had no pump shot fuel support and static timing too retarded. Too late now though for viral correction.
    Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

What burnout? When I go to that page all I see is a reference sheet on Avantis. Is there a link I missed?
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
        What burnout? When I go to that page all I see is a reference sheet on Avantis. Is there a link I missed?
        Just above the spec sheet is a link to an episode.

Comment

Interesting that they latched onto a transition 64 with round headlights, just like my Dad's-other than his being white with all black interior. Memories-----

Comment

Here's the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anyn...ature=youtu.be

The attempted burnout is around the 9 minute mark.

Comment

Well, I see what you mean. The burnout at the end was a bit awkward but they did make light of it. The car is also probably not one of the "finest examples of an original Avanti in the world". But it probably doesn't matter. It was still a nice piece.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Fairly factual except for the "Leather Interior" and the R2 305 to 310 Ft. Lbs. Torque thing.
                I always wondered why it is that younger people used to a Lot of New Cars that come with leather, thinking that a good quality Leather Grained Vinyl from the 1960's would be LEATHER!

Hardly ANY Leather in the 1960's folks, unless you were referring to a British Sports Car!

The other thing is that Raymond Loewy was certainly not Just a Logo Designer!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Fairly factual except for the "Leather Interior" and the R2 305 to 310 Ft. Lbs. Torque thing.
                  I always wondered why it is that younger people used to a Lot of New Cars that come with leather, thinking that a good quality Leather Grained Vinyl from the 1960's would be LEATHER!

Hardly ANY Leather in the 1960's folks, unless you were referring to a British Sports Car!
                  I know that you did preface it with "Hardly ANY". Higher level US cars of the 1960s did often have leather, such as my own 1967 Imperial Crown Coupe.
                  I am also noticing, more frequently, that good vinyl is called leather at major auctions and ads/listings, such as on eBay.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Actually...there were "two"...burnouts (if you want to call them that). Though there may have been more since I stopped watching at 5:10.

Mike

Comment

My 63 would chirp the tires right up to 50. This was in the 70's with Sunoco 260. Never again. So sad.

Comment

Looks like a 1963 model to me. Note the hood prop on the driver side.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          I know that you did preface it with "Hardly ANY". Higher level US cars of the 1960s did often have leather, such as my own 1967 Imperial Crown Coupe.
                          I am also noticing, more frequently, that good vinyl is called leather at major auctions and ads/listings, such as on eBay.
                          Not to mention, by 1967, Nate Altman made genuine leather available in the Avanti II.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            The problem is that some vinyl has been pretty impressive at first glance.

My dad's '66 Ranchero, you knew it was vinyl from 30 feet away but my mother's '70 Montego you had to sit in it for a few minutes before your sweat betrayed the reality. Her cousin had a '71 Montego and I never could get him squared away. Too few people have been exposed to the real thing to know the difference.

Comment

My 1963 Buick Riviera had leather.

Comment

Working...
                              X