No announcement yet.

I think I had another Generator die.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: I think I had another Generator die.

So is it common to have generators die for no apparent reason? I had my generator completely rebuilt last year by the only shop in 300 miles that works on old generators due to the generator no longer creating a charge and now less than 100 miles later but about 12 months it looks like it might have died again. Thinking that maybe I should just switch to an alternator and have less issues.

Originally posted by brumbles View Post
    ... now less than 100 miles later but about 12 months it looks like it might have died again...
    A couple of things to check, before assuming the generator has failed. With so few miles over such a long time, plenty of time for corrosion gremlins to cause mischief. I think you should check all your wire connections first. Not knowing what your mechanic skills are, I'll throw this out about the generator itself. Remove the dust band at the back of the generator. With a good light, check the spring loaded generator brush retainers. You can use a small screwdriver, or even a small wooden dowel to gently push the carbon brushes toward the armature/commutator. I have had brushes to bind in that spring loaded housing and lose contact. Next, you could use a volt meter to check for voltage output to your regulator. I'll not try to give you instructions on how to do that, because it has been so long since I've had that kind of problem, I would have to "relearn" myself. But, it the generator is "genning"...your regulator is suspect.

I have several vehicles with decades of, trouble free, generator operation... However, if you really want, to switch to an alternator...this could be a convenient excuse!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I switched over to 1-wire, GM type alternators about 25 years ago, and never looked back. Never had much luck with generators. If it was not one thing it was another. Even had a rear bearing work itself out and disappear once. Its also a good way to drop a few pounds of weight, ad the alternator is much lighter. With a 1-wire, even if it fails, help is only as far away as the nearest FLAPS.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
        A couple of things to check, before assuming the generator has failed. With so few miles over such a long time, plenty of time for corrosion gremlins to cause mischief. I think you should check all your wire connections first. Not knowing what your mechanic skills are, I'll throw this out about the generator itself. Remove the dust band at the back of the generator. With a good light, check the spring loaded generator brush retainers. You can use a small screwdriver, or even a small wooden dowel to gently push the carbon brushes toward the armature/commutator. I have had brushes to bind in that spring loaded housing and lose contact. Next, you could use a volt meter to check for voltage output to your regulator. I'll not try to give you instructions on how to do that, because it has been so long since I've had that kind of problem, I would have to "relearn" myself. But, it the generator is "genning"...your regulator is suspect.

I have several vehicles with decades of, trouble free, generator operation... However, if you really want, to switch to an alternator...this could be a convenient excuse!
        Thanks for the info! I remembered to check all those things from this whole problem last year. Haven't checked for voltage yet due to all my tools being at the shop I work at. So far I haven't found a bound up brush, wire ends have been cleaned reattached, tried repolarizing the generator by contact of bat&arm at the regulator and I can hear the generator magnetize when I do this. I have a feeling the regulator has quit but won't know for sure till tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

I would never switch to an alternator. I never have much generator problems. When I bought my 1950 Champion 2 1/2 years ago the seller had spent $300 for a new regulator and rebuilt generator. The regulator has sticky contacts, so I bought an original part off a 1950 Studebaker in French Lake Auto Parts junk yard. I also bought an original generator and restored it. Now I have charging at idle, which the rebuild generator didn't have.

If you were closer I'd be glad to look at your problem, just to keep another alternator away from a car that shouldn't have one.

Comment

If you reverse the leads on the gen it will over charge and fry the generator. Pull the dust band and check the ends of the commutator where the wires are crimped and soldered if the field is shorted to ground it will have thrown all the solder out from over heating. The you can check weather it is gen or regulator by grounding the field wire to the ground post on the battery and running the engine you should see amperage increase on the gauge bo not run to long just a little above idle.

Comment

Ensure that the generator is adequately grounded, rusty mounts may cause and open ground. I removed my rusty mount on my car to clean and paint it, I reinstalled it and no juce from the genny until I scraped off the paint. Quick test, alligator clip from the generator to a clean ground.

Comment

Make certain that the regulator is grounded to the body an that the body is grounded to the frame. A bad engine to body ground can cause the reverse current relay in the regulator to stick and burn up wire harness been there done that
                can not have too many good clean grounds.

Comment

If you have a totally original car, then I would stay with the generator. If you don't care about originality the alternator is the way to go, no dim headlights, no dribbling power to the antiquated points and condenser, I changed my Champ P/U to a 140 amp alternator and wow, what a difference. Now I can finish by adding A/C with now power distribution problems--- "no Brainer."
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StudebakerGene View Post
                    If you have a totally original car, then I would stay with the generator. If you don't care about originality the alternator is the way to go, no dim headlights, no dribbling power to the antiquated points and condenser, I changed my Champ P/U to a 140 amp alternator and wow, what a difference. Now I can finish by adding A/C with now power distribution problems--- "no Brainer."
                    Agree, its a no brainer for anyone who seriously drives their Stude. OTOH, for those who just putter around locally a few miles a year, mostly in daylight, a charging system is not really necessary. If kept on trickle charger at home, a hot primary battery would suffice for most driving needs, including IDYSD. Also keep a spare battery and jumper cables in the trunk for backup. For, "correctness" leave the generator in place, and just discreetly cut the wires someplace not visible.
                    Last edited by JoeHall; 09-06-2016, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StudebakerGene View Post
                      Pretty much all original, that's why I had the generator rebuilt last year. Want to keep it original

Comment

And another

Comment

In the pics I believe all the shiny silver in a perfect line around the gen case I believe is solder and I think I found the problem. Some dip**** while the car was at my parents house for winter(safer there than in my driveway with 100+ft tall trees all around) put the red ground wire on the field terminal on the generator! ****!!!!!

So I'm guessing it overheated and threw the solder everywhere..... Anything I can do to fix this? Can I resolder the commutator?

Comment

Don't feel bad, I had my AMP light come on driving home the other night. I've had the car 4 years, no issues prior. I just got the regulator tested today and it checked fine, the battery showed the generator was charging last night when I used a multi meter on the terminals. It's a 56 year old piece of electrical equipment, I'm sure something in it needs replacing. It's a California/Nevada Car, so other than age corrosion, no funky ground issues to note. I'll clean all the contacts up while the generator's out, just because the generator's out. Better September than December!

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
                              Don't feel bad, I had my AMP light come on driving home the other night. I've had the car 4 years, no issues prior. I just got the regulator tested today and it checked fine, the battery showed the generator was charging last night when I used a multi meter on the terminals. It's a 56 year old piece of electrical equipment, I'm sure something in it needs replacing. It's a California/Nevada Car, so other than age corrosion, no funky ground issues to note. I'll clean all the contacts up while the generator's out, just because the generator's out. Better September than December!
                              Oh, I don't feel bad, I'm upset that someone touched it besides me and ruined a completely rebuilt generator. $400 spent last year

Comment

Working...
                              X