cable to connect 700r4 to Studebaker speedometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: cable to connect 700r4 to Studebaker speedometer

what is out there to connect my 56 E7 speedometer to the GM 700r4 transmission. Is there a splice adapter available, does some one make a cable with the correct ends for this conversion?

Originally posted by plym_46 View Post
    what is out there to connect my 56 E7 speedometer to the GM 700r4 transmission. Is there a splice adapter available, does some one make a cable with the correct ends for this conversion?
    Early 700R4's had a speedo cable. I had to find the speedo cable unit from an R4 in a wrecking yard to convert my 4L60 but they are probably available from Bowtie overdrives or other suppliers. There are conversion units to convert the R4 signal to a cable but kinda expensive. There is also a pretty good selection of speedo gears for the R4 from the same suppliers.

As far as cable ends, They may match but if not, the correct ones should be fairly easy to find with the help of Google.

Bob

Comment

Try Nostalgic Motors. A speedo cable for an '81-'85 Avanti should work just fine in your Stude truck! (check the overall length though)

Comment

Something like this, but be sure to accurately determine the length you need first. http://www.ebay.com/itm/54-55-56-57-...S_ffNw&vxp=mtr

For more $, you can buy a universal cable, that you cut to length. That is what I did.

Whatever you do, stay away from the non cut-able, one size fits all, offered in at least one of our Stude Vendor's GM tranny conversion kits. The one the guy shipped me was about two feet too long for even the GT.
        Last edited by JoeHall; 09-05-2016, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Joe He just wanted to be sure it wasn't to short and thought maybe you could lope it around a few things on the way to the speedo.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
            Joe He just wanted to be sure it wasn't to short and thought maybe you could lope it around a few things on the way to the speedo.
            I thought I could read and speak English well enough to get by, but apparently misunderstood the OP. After re-reading it several times, I still do not arrive at the same interpretation you did.

Comment

Not sure what your 56 E7 has for a speedometer but my '64 Daytona had for lack of a better term a "common" cable. In fact, the cable I use with my '64 Studebaker speedometer and my '92 General motors 700R4 came out of a 80's Dodge truck. If you are needing to adapt from an electronic speedometer sender to the earlier cable type (as Sweet Old Bob mentioned) be aware that there are two housings. One is for the speedometer gears under a certain number and the other for those above. I don't remember exactly, but I think the cut-off point is about 40 teeth. All that information is available on the internet.
              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
              X