Brake lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Brake lights

The brake lights on my 63 GT quite,one side of switch is power from fuse block & is alive all the time,the other side of switch goes to the tail lights.It disappears under the dash & I cannot see where it is connected.Does anybody know where it connects to the tail lights ?.It is alive at the switch when activated but no brake lights.
    I am not agile enough to get under the dash any more & don't know where to look.
    Thanks for any input.

Hook the 2 wires that go to the switch together, if the lights come on, you have a bad switch, if they do noy, check, grounds, bulbs and wiring. this a very simple pressure switch.

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

Here's the wiring diagram: https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...-hawk-wire.jpg
      If the direction signal lights work, I'd suspect the trouble to be in the direction signal switch.
      Then the circuit goes through a connection block located at the bottom of the dashboard. There is also a connector in the trunk.
      sigpic

Comment

Have had to replace a couple turn siganl switches because of brake light issues. It is no fun at all!

Comment

I forgot to mention I have rear turn signals on left & right tail lights but still no brake lites

Comment

Originally posted by kmul221 View Post
            I forgot to mention I have rear turn signals on left & right tail lights but still no brake lites
            That is completely Normal, it means your rear Bulbs, Sockets and Rear wiring are all fine.

If you follow Jim's advice in post #2 you will know if your Stoplight Switch is bad, and that is very commonly the problem.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Don't forget that the wires to the stoplight switch are always hot. This might avoid you a few sparkles. Don't ask me how I know!
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X