Stude Engine Hop Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude Engine Hop Up

Lots of chatter over on the HAMB site about modifying Studebaker V-8s. If you are interested...

(o[]o)

There's a bazillion threads over there..!
    Would be very helpful if you consider posting the address..!

Mike

Comment

We're getting ready to rebuild a '63 Stude 289, and we're trying to find out what kind of speed parts are available. It'll be a street engine, not a...
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Mike, my oversight not to provide a link, but Dwain came to the rescue. Thanks, Dwain.

(o[]o)

Comment

I have found HAMB to be a gold mine of misinformation, so double check everything you read there. . I figure that knowledgeable people won't stay very long, because of the posters who contradict them with non-facts.. So, how many HAMB people have said stuff like: "Studebaker used 289 engines that were nearly identical to Ford"? An idea that is a mashup of Studebaker using Fordomatic, the V8 being a near knock-off of the early Cadillac OHV engine, and 65-66 Studes being assembled with Chevrolet engines. They get their wires crossed over there, and I only follow it for the entertainment value. Your results may vary.

Comment

That thread is nine years old!

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

I like most of the subject matter on that forum but I quit following it because it’s too popular. Way too many threads to ever keep up with. But I do like to read the for sale ads.
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Take a look at some of the "cars" being built by the posters on the HAMB and see if you want to hang out there. Tops chopped so that windows are 2" high, very questionable suspension mods, downright dangerous steering setups, sunvisors made from saw blades, scary stuff, some.
                Although there are sites with even scarier stuff being "built".
                Last edited by thom; 06-11-2019, 10:00 PM.
                thom

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                  I like most of the subject matter on that forum but I quit following it because it’s too popular. Way too many threads to ever keep up with. But I do like to read the for sale ads.
                  "No one goes there nowadays, it’s too crowded." --Yogi Berra
                  KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

thom -

Come on, MOST of the cars on the HAMB are fairly nicely done cars.
                    You need to look at more than one thread..! Just looking at the rat rod cars and calling all of the HAMB badly done cars isn't even remotely fair. Many would put some of our Stude's to shame.
                    Hell a couple of my cars are up on the HAMB board, fine upstanding examples of Studebakerdom.

Mike

Comment

I went to the Hamb one time, and asked about putting a Viper engine in my Buick Roadmaster. Boy did they ever give me crap about that. They aren't anything about hot rodding. They are only about there own little clique. Never been back and they can keep it.
                      I also asked about what they thought about a build using Corvette suspension pieces, and a Packard like torsion-bar system. All I got was it shouldn't be done, and my ideas were crap. I don't need their BS replies. I get plenty everywhere else.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I logon everyday at the HAMB, and invariably find that most of the folks posting are very old car savvy, and are nice enough. Like every forum I've ever visited (including this one), there are buttholes, self-appointed bouncers, and trouble makers. They do have their focus - on traditional (pre-65) hot rodding, so yes - Viper motors and so on are anathema. They totally discourage rat rods (even the name) and discourage trashy build techniques yielding unsafe cars. Believe it or not, some of the diehards over on the AACA forum respect the knowledge of the HAMB bunch, even if they don't all like hot rodders. And, yes - it's busy. I have to scroll through an average of 10 pages of new posts when I visit. It's not my favorite, but it does have its place - and doesn't deserve (or match) the bashing it received in this thread. Studebaker guys get respect over there - and some of our bunch is there often (Jeff Rice, Joe Roberts, and others). So, there.
                        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

This is all pretty funny.

bez -

If you read the rules, a Viper engine is...not really in the scheme of the HAMB..!

Like Chris says, I log on almost every day and while looking for new posts that MAY interest me, there are a few old, long posts that I read with every new post.
                          I have no problem posting there, and mostly, don't get crap for it..! I actually get quite a few "likes"...over their.

Mike

Comment

They have some excellent builds on the HAMB. The COE car hauler by a builder in Amsterdam. A Willys that was a four door wreck built into a Old School dragster by a guy in LA, know as Kev. And the Chrysler built from a junkyard car called "Rusty" are just some examples. I can post some links if anyone is interested. A memorable one is the guy that built a Texaco Station on his property, way cool.
                            "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

H.A.M.B. hates any Jeep product. Once we had a very nice thread going on Hot Rodded 1948-1950 Jeepster roadsters. First car that I ever drove all by my lonesome, a '48 with a Edelbrock tri-power equipped 365 Caddy.
                              Ryan killed and purged the thread because Jeeps are not 'traditional'. Just overlook the fact that they were receiving engine swaps literally from day one, and ran on the nations drag-strips for decades starting in the early 1950s. ...But a '61 Econoline, or a '64 Rambler Classic 4 door is 'traditional'?
                              I complained. Received a P.M. threatening to ban me if I mentioned the subject again.
                              So I didn't. Here is not there.

Comment

Working...
                              X