PDA

View Full Version : SDC member pass away recently?

LeoH
08-30-2016, 11:17 AM
There is a collection of cars for sale near Bloomington, IN I saw posted on Facebook. I have to think the owner was a longtime SDC'er. Does anyone know about someone in Bloomington with 6 vehicles: 2 trucks, 4 sedans, including a '66 Daytona and a red bulletnose stock car painted vehicle who recently passed away?
The widow is looking to sell the cars, but preferably in one go as she emotionally does not wish to deal with the sale over multiple transactions, the original poster who is a friend of hers, mentioned.

LeoH
08-30-2016, 01:59 PM
The cars visible are, a 48 M5, 49 2R5 or 6, 1955 coupe, 50 or 51 coupe, 64 sedan and 66 sedan. No one knows anyone in the Bloomington area with that collection?

BobPalma
08-30-2016, 03:48 PM
:) The gentleman's name was Leon Upland.

Here is the Craigslist link to his advertised vehicles:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/5752558590.html

Most of us in central Indiana had not heard of Mr. Upland, possibly because he lived in Bloomington IN, which is on the southern edge of the geography served by our Indy Chapter SDC. To the best of my knowledge, he was never a member of our chapter. I spot-checked a half-dozen assorted old SDC National Rosters, and the newest one in which I found him listed as a national SDC member was 1973; 43 years ago! He may have been a National SDC Member since then, because I don't have all the SDC Rosters through the years (although I have almost all of them), and I did not check all of those that I do have.

However, Indy Chapter member Richard Poe knew of Mr. Upland and the cars, and had seen him several years ago. Richard and Rose live closer to Mr. Upland than 'most anyone else in our chapter. At the time, neither Mr. Upland nor his wife were "ready to sell," but that obviously changed upon his demise. The fellow "Chris" listing the cars, is thought to be a family friend. He was apparently engaged not for his automotive acumen, which is apparent by reading the ad, but for his ability to use Craigslist.

If you look closely at the photos in the ad, there appears to be a reddish 1951 or 1952 Commander Starlight coupe drag race car. You can read some lettering and the class M/S on the "B" pillar. That was the class in which Ted Harbit ran the famous Chicken Hawk when that was its class, per NHRA's floating class standards from year to year. Given that, you would think that Ted Harbit would have known Mr. Upland, since their two residences couldn't have been much more than 125 miles apart, if that much. But Ted cannot recall ever meeting or running Mr. Upland back in the day.

A non-Studebaker friend of mine combs Craigslist almost hourly and alerted me to this listing. He called the number and was told by "Chris" that the race car is being given to the Upland's daughter, and is not among the vehicles offered for sale.

Honest, that's all I know about the situation. 'Sad to say, I never met Mr. Upland or had any knowledge of him or his cars, yet they can't be more than 80 miles due south of where I've lived for 45 years!

"They're still out there!" :cool: BP

r1lark
08-30-2016, 04:02 PM
You would be surprised at how many Studebaker owners are not in SDC. Some are not joiners, some were members years ago and let membership lapse when life got busy and never rejoined, and some were members but got "dissillusioned" (I put my 'politicically correct' hat on for that word ;)) because of attitudes towards modified cars and/or 'authenticity' disagreements.

ddub
08-30-2016, 04:46 PM
What is the correct name for the "63 Lancer"?

LeoH
08-30-2016, 05:15 PM
Thank you Mr. Palma. I know that goes on out here in the West, but although I know it happens, it's still a little surprising to me out there in the heart of Studeiana.
I will pass on that information on the forum where I first saw this.
$25K is a great price, imo, for that bulk collection, plus whatever's she's adding on with parts. I wouldn't have been surprised at a $30K price tag. I'm curious though how many serious buyers will step up. As an auto investor, I think even if not a Studebaker fan, that amount could easily be surpassed if you bought all the cars, shined 'em up and sold them individually given how they look. Too bad about the red coupe. I'd love to see more of that car regardless.

StudeRich
08-30-2016, 05:39 PM
That Sale option they would like is really TOO Bad, because we all know the ONLY way those 5 would actually Sell, is individually. :(

I don't think it would be THAT much harder for the "friend" to sell them that way.

LeoH
08-30-2016, 06:25 PM
That Sale option they would like is really TOO Bad, because we all know the ONLY way those 5 would actually Sell, is individually. :(

I don't think it would be THAT much harder for the "friend" to sell them that way.
I agree Rich. I have no idea of the personal situation, but even if the friend were to 'broker' the transactions, but for her or the daughter to have a list of answers about each car, their bottom price, and leave the rest of the interactions to Chris and then have him sell the cars individually. I don't know anything else about the parties than from this post. A couple of nice looking vehicles there for sure.

52-fan
08-30-2016, 07:06 PM
What is the correct name for the "63 Lancer"?

A 63 Lancer would be a Dodge product. There is a 64 Studebaker 4 door (Cruiser?) that is in the pictures. I bet Chris got the name mixed up with Lark. I see on Facebook that he when to a seminary so he could be their minister.

56Golden
08-30-2016, 08:11 PM
You would be surprised at how many Studebaker owners are not in SDC. Some are not joiners <snip>

There is NO surprise on my part!!!:D

I can't speak about other areas, but around the greater South Bend area where I put in 68 years of life, Studebaker car & parts "COLLECTORS" were …and of course to a lesser degree now …very common.

They keep a low profile and you really have to know someone …who knows someone very well ...for a long time before you can even get a glimpse at THEIR "COLLECTION." Of course nothing in their "COLLECTION" is ever for sale;) …at least as long as they are alive. Believe me a lot of them seem to think they will live forever!!! R.I.P. Mr. Upland.

StudeRich
08-30-2016, 08:46 PM
I thought maybe it was about those Dodge "Lancer" 4 Bar Spinner Wheel Covers that were a bit different for Studes, the Special Dealer Order "Strato Strut" Wheel Cover!

Swifster
08-30-2016, 09:35 PM
No '63 Dodge Lancers. 1962 was the last year...