PDA

View Full Version : My 60 Convertible will be on route from Manitoba in a few weeks from now.......

yoyoman
08-29-2016, 02:52 PM
Hello Everyone: my name is Rob Davies and I used to belong to the Vancouver Island Studebaker Drivers Club, I joined when I was 15 or 16 years old , Thats when I bought my first Studebaker a 1960 Lark VIII Regal 4dsdn black in colour with a Red dash. (But changed it to Red outside colour) The club was full of great helpful member's and we made good friendships. Several years later after my wife and I had our first child we moved away from Victoria B.C. (I know who would do that?) and I Sold my 1960 lark, 1963 Lark, 1956 Stude PU, 1951 Stude PU, 1965 Cruiser. Then another 3 children happened and now we had 4 and there was no room or money for a Studebakers. Now, all the kids are married and gone.
It's now time so we have rejoined with a purchase of a barn find , 2 owner estate sale 1960 Studebaker Lark VIII Convertible. (When I was 16 and fellow named Andy Popp offered to sell me one a yellow 60 Convertible and I have always regretted not buying it) now I am soon to be back in the saddle as they say.
The good news it runs well and has just had a tune up. It will be a runner and restoration in progress. The convertible will arrive in Vancouver ferry terminal around the end of Sept and I will go over and trailer it home. Any tips on Trailer or Tow Truck advice from there?

Looking forward to renewing old friendships and meeting you all soon,
Rob

Buzzard
08-29-2016, 03:37 PM
Rob, Welcome back! I just recovered a 1959 Lark V8 2dr HT from Courtenay (Vancouver Island) 6 weeks ago. Send some pics for all to see. Are you back in Victoria? If so get hold of Rob Hill in Sooke as he's well entrenched with the Stude Chapter there. I just towed with a Dodge Ram and car trailer-piece of cake except for the fuel bill.
Cheers, Bill

BobPalma
08-29-2016, 04:15 PM
:!: Welcome back to the hobby, Rob. It's good to see anyone get back into Studebakers after a necessary sabatical.

Do you have access to a truck with which you could pull a loaded car trailer? If not, U-haul can rent you both a trailer and the truck to pull it with.

:cool: BP

Dwain G.
08-29-2016, 04:27 PM
Join BCAA?

8E45E
08-29-2016, 05:09 PM
Did you buy that red car?

Craig

StudeRich
09-06-2016, 01:09 PM
Welcome Rob, I hope you have done more research to find a lower cost Hauler, because I have no idea how far that Manitoba to Victoria move is, but here in the States you can have a car moved 1000 Miles for no more than $1200.00 USD and your quoted numbers seem awfully High.

StudeMann
09-06-2016, 02:31 PM
Welcome back, Rob! I have been waiting many years for you to come back to the fold.

To the rest of the SDC, Rob is the reason I got into Studebakers in the early 80's. I was raised with older brothers who hot-rodded 5-6-7 Chevies but Rob managed to switch my allegiance to Studebaker.

One weekend, I helped him swap in a 'good' OHV 6 in the 63 Lark listed in his original post. After a 'test-drive' around the block he suggested I buy the car, so I did (amazing salesman, he is). After that, I ended up buying the 51 and 56 pickups from him when he moved away from Victoria. When I also moved away to marry a prairie girl, I sold both the 63 Lark and the 56 PU to Jim Christensen who was the president of the local chapter on Vancouver Island for many years. After getting married, my new wife encouraged the purchase of a 51 Champion Starlight coupe, later nicknamed 'Rusty' by my son when he was old enough to speak. Years later, for my 50 birthday, my wife offered to replace 'Rusty' with a Studebaker in better condition. I began to search for all types of Studebakers but found a 51 Land Cruiser I couldn't resist. 'Elsie (LC)' has now been part of the family for several years.

So, Rob is directly responsible for 3 of the 5 Studes I have owned and I am very grateful. I love driving something different by design.

Cheers,

Jim

57pack
09-06-2016, 03:26 PM
Welcome back Rob!
Your story sounds nearly like mine. I was into Studebakers since 1946 at age five.
My high school car was a 1950 Studebaker Land Cruiser. What a dream to drive!
Then came college, getting married, and three children. Studebakers gone, Chevrolet Caprice wagons in garage.
Kids grown, married and now grandchildren. Retired
And a 1957 Packard and 1965 Wagonaire in the garage.

Mark57
09-06-2016, 08:48 PM
Welcome Rob. Feel free to reach out to us as we do have a member that has access to a car hauling trailer for that move from the mainland to the Island - He may be able to assist (assuming he is home!).

Here is a link to our Chapter website (see below in my signature block) so that you can reach out to us and rejoin the group. We'd love to have you come out to any of our "get-togethers". :):cool: