Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V8 Rear Finned Drums to Flanged Axle Fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 Rear Finned Drums to Flanged Axle Fit?

Does anyone know if the rear finned 10" drums (1558905) that are available from the Stude Vendors will fit the Fairborn Flanged axles? My go to supplier, Chuck Collins, is on vacation this week and SI didn't know what I was talking about when I said flanged axles. Is there another vendor that stocks these drums?

The Stude. Flanged Axle Drums fit the stock Studebaker Flanged Axle setup, we have posts here somewhere or on Bob Johnstone's Website about how to Machine the Backing Plate and or the Stock tapered Axle Drums if I remember it correctly.

Why not go to "THE SOURCE", and ask Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker, the actual source of the Kit?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      The Stude. Flanged Axle Drums fit the stock Studebaker Flanged Axle setup, we have posts here somewhere or on Bob Johnstone's Website about how to Machine the Backing Plate and or the Stock tapered Axle Drums if I remember it correctly.

Why not go to "THE SOURCE", and ask Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker, the actual source of the Kit?
      The stock Stude flanged axle drums do not fit the Fairborn axles. The Fariborn kit is designed to use the tapered drums once the hubs have been removed. However, some late tapered drums had a smaller center hole that will not work with Fairborn axles. I have been working with Phil Harris on this. The issue isn't with the kit, it's with the drums.

Comment

OK, you already knew the question I "thought" you were asking from your tittle: Do the Studebaker Flanged Axle Drums fit the Fairborn Kit Axles?

Obviously without knowing what that 1558905 Part Number is or fits or looking it up, I am sorry, I could not tell you were talking about TAPERED AXLE DRUMS!

Since all Rear Hubs have been the same size forever, I don't see how there could be different size center holes in the "Original NOS" Drums, unless you got ahold of some FLANGED AXLE DRUMS!

Now if you had some 11" Finned "REPRODUCTION" Drum Only "REAR" units, I am pretty sure those are made for the Hub/Drum Assy's. for the 11" FRONT drum replacements, and very well could have the wrong center hole for the Rear Fairborn Axles and possibly should not have been "Sold" as Rears.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 08-29-2016, 11:51 AM.
        StudeRich
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Since all Rear Hubs have been the same size forever, I don't see how there could be different size center holes in the "Original NOS" Drums, unless you got ahold of some FLANGED AXLE DRUMS!
          My drums were the original tapered axle drums that I removed the hub from myself. Did Studebaker put some tapered axle hubs on flanged drums in the Fall of 63? I don't know. What I do know is that they definitely used some drums on the tapered axle cars that had a smaller center hole and that these drums don't work with the Fairborn kit.

I don't want to order a new set of drums and have the same issue. Is there another supplier that stocks 10" finned rear drums for a tapered axle?

Comment

There are many of us that have bought and "Have" NOS Hub & Drum Assy's and Drum Only Parts from the Original Studebaker Automotive Sales Corp. in the 1970's to early 1990's, but the word "Stocks" as in: "a Pile for Sale" would not apply, since they are in very limited Supply and "irreplaceable keepers".
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by 61Lark View Post
              My drums were the original tapered axle drums that I removed the hub from myself. Did Studebaker put some tapered axle hubs on flanged drums in the Fall of 63? I don't know. What I do know is that they definitely used some drums on the tapered axle cars that had a smaller center hole and that these drums don't work with the Fairborn kit.

I don't want to order a new set of drums and have the same issue. Is there another supplier that stocks 10" finned rear drums for a tapered axle?
              Can't you simply ask for a measurement of the center hole before ordering replacement drums from anyone?
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                Can't you simply ask for a measurement of the center hole before ordering replacement drums from anyone?
                Chuck is on vacation and SI was supposed to get back to me. Is there a third or forth vendor for these parts?

Comment

If I'm understanding your question/and have My act together "Memory". there's Two hole sizes,and the Flange Axle Drums have the bigger hole as well as a slight beveled inner edge.

Originally posted by 61Lark View Post
                  The stock Stude flanged axle drums do not fit the Fairborn axles. The Fariborn kit is designed to use the tapered drums once the hubs have been removed. However, some late tapered drums had a smaller center hole that will not work with Fairborn axles. I have been working with Phil Harris on this. The issue isn't with the kit, it's with the drums.
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

The tapered axle drum has a smaller hole, the flanged axle has a larger hole, which centers it on the axle. I am sure that with machine work, one could be made to slip over the larger center hub.

Jim
                    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                    their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
                      The tapered axle drum has a smaller hole, the flanged axle has a larger hole, which centers it on the axle. I am sure that with machine work, one could be made to slip over the larger center hub.

Jim
                      Not to steal a thread--but what is the size (diameter) of the centering hub on the Fairborn conversion axles??

Comment

3.104" that is the OD of the sheetmetal ring that is staked to the hub.

Comment

Nominal 3 1/8" centre hole is what is required for the Fairborn kit. As I recall, the '63-64 drums have this size. Earlier drums have smaller holes - 2 7/8" or something like that. Check the parts book for those details. On my last conversion I used Dodge truck drums that had a smaller hole. I simply removed the staked centering rings and had smaller rings machined to match the Dodge drums. These rings were heated and slipped on the flange bosses with a .001" interference.
                          The 1558905 drum has a 3 1/8" hole. If yours doesn't, then it's not that part number. The drums I recently sold had that part number stencilled in faint yellow paint.

Comment

The last flange axel change I did had the same problem. Luckily, my neighbor is a retired machinist and has a shop at his home. He measured the axel, took the drums and machined the hole to fit. Problem solved.

Comment

Page 260 of the latest SI catalog lists the brake drum in question (1558905) for $159.95. I called about these some time ago before I found some good used ones and they told me they were replacements for the original and the studs were NOT installed so they should readily fit right on your Fairborn kit axle without any additional work.

Comment

Working...
                              X