Seeking info - Avanti II power steering pump bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Seeking info - Avanti II power steering pump bracket

I am trying to determine what the correct power steering pump bracket would be for my '72 Avanti. The original bracket broke many years ago, and I replaced it with a "universal" aftermarket one that doesn't fit great. I'm guessing that I need to find a bracket from a '60's-'70's Chevrolet, but which one? I already know it's not a Corvette - I tried it and it does not fit. If anyone knows the answer or could post some pictures of theirs I would appreciate it. By the way, this is a set-up with a short waterpump, and the power steering pump is driven from a single belt to the forward groove of the 3-groove crankshaft pulley. Perhaps it's the same bracket used on the '65-66 V8 Studebakers too?

Thanks!

Avanti IIs are a mixed bag, but I'd bet you'll need a mount from the year and size block you have ( check Chevy sites for serial and cast numbers), not necessarily as early as you mention. Avanti Motors used as much of the Chevy supplied engine assembly as they could and 72 is the "year of the change" over to the 400 CI I think starting with RQB1801( per Bob Johnstone's site) . So if you have a 400, not a 350, you might need to check out some 400 brackets, not necessarily a Stude "283" or 327 Vette application. Maybe an Avanti II expert will have more exact info.

Comment

Does your Avanti engine have provisions in the head to accept bolts? On the 65/66 V-8 Studebakers with power steering there wasn't any bolt holes in the heads so a special bracket was designed to mount the pump low enough to work yet be able to clear the steering linkage. Later engines had those holes so check your engine, if so then a common Chevy bracket will work.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

A 69-72 Chevy pickup mount may work. It mounts low and uses the front groove. It mounts to the front of the engine with 2 bolts and 1 bolt in the motor mount. Here's a photo of one. These fit all small blocks with short water pump.Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-060S.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1708763Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-059S.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1708762

Comment

Thanks for the replies. My engine does have the threaded mounting holes in the cylinder heads. I will need to keep doing research on this. If someone with an early Avanti II could post a picture of their set-up it would help me a lot in determining what I need.

Thanks,
          Adam

Comment

Have you tried posting on the Avanti Owners forum?? http://www.aoai.org/ might have some luck there. Oops- just looked and see that you have and not much luck there either. Just for drills, post a picture of the left front corner of your engine with the pump you have installed-best you can, it may trigger a memory or idea. The Avanti IIs were so often modified that an exact answer may never be found.
            Last edited by karterfred88; 08-30-2016, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X