Wiper switch on Champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Wiper switch on Champ

Does anybody have a wiper switch with the extra tab for a '63 Champ? Mine apparently keeps getting these weird internal shorts.

Or know how to kludge wire a 4-wire wiper motor into a switch for a 3-wire motor? I have one of those.
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Doug, i'm in the same fix, hope you get an answer so i can finish my wiring project. Did you sort out your drive ability issue's? Luck , Doofus

Comment

by tab do you mean terminal for connections on the switch ??

Comment

Could you pull the switch apart and see if there is an obvious fault that can be fixed ?
        pb

Comment

I've pulled mine apart twice to fix it, it seems old dialectric grease and corrosion were my issues. The second time fixed it, but I doubt I'll be able to open it another time without the tabs on the case breaking.
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

How about "upgrading" your wipers to intermittent? If you have to replace your switch anyway, this might be worth the trouble. Has anyone here tried this?
            Mike Davis
            1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

I might need to start looking for one.

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
              How about "upgrading" your wipers to intermittent? If you have to replace your switch anyway, this might be worth the trouble. Has anyone here tried this?
              http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/...elli82901.html
              Ron Dame
              '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
                http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/...elli82901.html
                I remember years ago, maybe close to 40 years now, my brother and I worked on an old Holden, a 1964. We bought all sorts of gizmos to spiff it up. One was an intermittent wiper module. IIRC the original wiper switch was retained. The first stop on the wiper switch, the slower speed, introduced the intermittent properties and the second stop was normal, the fast setting. The intermittent control was adjusted with a second knob hidden from plain view, if one prefered, so adjustment could be made. Sounded great to a couple of teens playing with the first car in their hands but many wires kept us from ever installing it. Years later it still sat on a shelf. My brother might still have it but it would be nice to know if something like that could still be found so I could keep the original switch. At least with the link provided one gets to keep the original knob.

If anyone has done this to a 59 Lark style switch, and accompanying bezel, please inform me on what you used and some instructions. This will save me time researching it myself.

Len

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
                  I remember years ago, maybe close to 40 years now, my brother and I worked on an old Holden, a 1964. We bought all sorts of gizmos to spiff it up. One was an intermittent wiper module. IIRC the original wiper switch was retained. The first stop on the wiper switch, the slower speed, introduced the intermittent properties and the second stop was normal, the fast setting. The intermittent control was adjusted with a second knob hidden from plain view, if one prefered, so adjustment could be made. Sounded great to a couple of teens playing with the first car in their hands but many wires kept us from ever installing it. Years later it still sat on a shelf. My brother might still have it but it would be nice to know if something like that could still be found so I could keep the original switch. At least with the link provided one gets to keep the original knob.

If anyone has done this to a 59 Lark style switch, and accompanying bezel, please inform me on what you used and some instructions. This will save me time researching it myself.

Len
                  As I was sitting here enjoying my morning coffee, I came across Len's post. It reminded me of an incident,(Regarding delayed wiper feature) years ago, as well. I think it was 1984. The event was our very first national meet, held in Orlando, Florida. We took two vehicles, because our nine year old daughter, and my wife, would have been miserable, as hostages to a car show, all week, with Disney World next door. Also, with my wife, being so allergic, to just about everything, bouncing six hundred miles down the interstate, in a very stock (un-air conditioned)1955 six cylinder Studebaker Pick-Up would never happen.

The year before, I bought two 1983 Buicks. For her, a new Regal Coupe, with all the accessories. Mine was a Century, intended for my sales work. Air Conditioned, but few other accessories. Unlike the Regal, the Century did not have the delayed wiper feature. At the time of the event, the Regal was at the Dealer's body shop, getting painted under warranty, because of the lousy GM factory paint job. So, we had to use the Century for the trip.

In 1984, few car/cell phones were seen. But...just about everybody had CB radios. To communicate, I had a CB in the Century, and had placed a 12 volt battery in the floor of my truck, to operate another CB in my truck. During the trip, I think near Jacksonville, we encountered a sprinkling rain. My wife picked up her CB mike and complained..."I miss my delayed wipers!" My reply..."You should be driving this Studebaker...it has the ultimate DELAYED wipers!!!" That pretty much sums up the experience of everyone who grew up riding in your parent's low priced family sedan equipped with only manifold vacuum powered windshield wipers.

It took nearly thirty years, but I finally found someone kind enough to give me a deal on an electric wiper assembly (including the hard to find reach rods) for my truck. I still try not to drive it in the rain. But, if it happens...I'm ready. If I need a "delay"...I can reach the switch.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I may make a trip to U-Pull-It for old Ford wiper switches some time between healing up a little more from my trip to World Con/Truman Medical Center ER and the coming of cold weather.

I think I may have a fix based on a Dorman universal switch and this http://www.studebaker-info.org/PDF/P...wipermotor.pdf if I decide to go there.

Oddly, I was thinking about old vacuum vipers this morning. How they bog down going up hill and how they almost fly off their capstans going back down.
                    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Working...
                    X