PDA

View Full Version : Shop Crane Almost Finished

3x2stude
08-24-2016, 11:49 PM
About a month ago I posted pictures on the racing site of removing a C-body from a frame with just a cherry picker. It was a pain and not the safest adventure. So I pulled some sketches from the archives and began construction of a portable gantry crane. It is rated a 2000 lbs. with a standard safety factor of 5. It is all aluminum and stainless steel so it can sit outside and not rust. The top beam is 10" x 6", the legs are 4" stainless tube and the lower horizontals are 5" x 2" aluminum channel on six, 8" casters. The problem with the thing is what to do with it when I am not using it and where to store the pieces if disassembled. So I built this device to take the beam to the ceiling and store it there. It will rest in a steel cradle bolted to the ceiling so it is not hanging on the cable when not in assembly mode. All the posts, braces and feet can hang on the wall. To assemble I merely lower it an inch or so and clamp the other pieces to it, and I should be able to do it "solo", very important. The whole thing is designed so that no one piece is over 75 lbs. I will post a link to YouTube with a time laps assembly video once it is complete. The beam hangs on a 3/16" cable rated for lifting that goes up through the ceiling, over a pulley South to a pulley East and over a pulley down through the ceiling to the brake winch. (McMaster Carr) The brake winch is easy to use as it requires no need to flip a lever and go click by click to lower like a come-a-long, you just turn the crank. It is fun to play with. More to follow this weekend.

JK

drrotor
08-25-2016, 12:57 AM
Nice! And a great shop,too!

t walgamuth
08-25-2016, 07:54 AM
That is an ambitious project....looks very good!

gordr
08-25-2016, 10:59 AM
Looking good, indeed. I have a gantry crane I built many years ago from four-inch square steel tubing, plus whichever size telescopes into it. Each leg is a pillar on a horizontal beam equipped with large hard-tired casters, and diagonal braces. The top cross-beam has legs on it that slip down inside the pillars, and can be pinned at various heights by half-inch bolts slid through holes in both pillar and leg. A ton-and-a-half chain hoist hangs from the cross-beam on a loop of chain. I built it so it could be disassembled for transport, but I think I only ever did that once. It has sat outside for years, so I am sure it has now rusted solid. But it still works fine, and I use it frequently. Just used it a couple of days ago to hoist the front of the riding mower so I could slip under it and swap blades.

M15 Trucker
08-25-2016, 12:04 PM
AHHH! Good ole Unistrut, it's amazing what you can build with just a wrench bolting things together.