Non-Stude unique transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Stude unique transmission

Growing up in the car business, I saw and drove plenty of Ramblers (good little cars!) but never heard of an "E-stick"... any of you ever seen/driven one?

Here's a quote from the listing, followed by the link:

"My understanding is very few of these AMC Transmissions were ever released to public, there is a hydraulic slave cylinder that acts like a clutch, when you touch the shift arm, clutch disengages and allows driver to shift effortlessly to next gear"

I'd like to buy it just so I could try it!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

I think that Mr. Biggs is our resident Rambler "expert", perhaps he can weigh in. It also has no battery hold down. [:0][B)]

Comment

I think that Mr. Biggs is our resident Rambler "expert", perhaps he can weigh in. It also has no battery hold down. [:0][B)]

Comment

Very attractive wagon. I'd own it [^]

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Very attractive wagon. I'd own it [^]

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

E-stick was billed as an Automatic Clutch transmission. Pretty rare thing from what I've observed. I've only seen ONE such equipped car and it was in a wrecking yard. I've never driven one. It was intro'd in '62 and I don't know how long it was offered.
            Then there was the "Twin Stick". It's basically the same as Stude's 3spd OD trannies. Actually, they WERE the same trannies (t-96 and t-86 Borg Warner units). The Twin Stick had just that - twin levers sticking out of the console that was a part of that package. One lever operated the standard shift 3-spd trans and the other controlled the overdrive function.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

E-stick was billed as an Automatic Clutch transmission. Pretty rare thing from what I've observed. I've only seen ONE such equipped car and it was in a wrecking yard. I've never driven one. It was intro'd in '62 and I don't know how long it was offered.
              Then there was the "Twin Stick". It's basically the same as Stude's 3spd OD trannies. Actually, they WERE the same trannies (t-96 and t-86 Borg Warner units). The Twin Stick had just that - twin levers sticking out of the console that was a part of that package. One lever operated the standard shift 3-spd trans and the other controlled the overdrive function.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'd sure love to get a look at the system, and how it's set up[8D]

A note about this seller: He has several Ramblers of all types that he's been listing a few at a time on eBay over the last several months; most look to be very good to excellent. He says he was planning to open an AMC museum, but now has to sell out. He has/had many cars I'd like to have![]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I'd sure love to get a look at the system, and how it's set up[8D]

A note about this seller: He has several Ramblers of all types that he's been listing a few at a time on eBay over the last several months; most look to be very good to excellent. He says he was planning to open an AMC museum, but now has to sell out. He has/had many cars I'd like to have![]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I remember the day I came across the lone E-stick I've ever seen. I saw the slave cylinder on the side of the bellhousing and extra tubes an' wires 'n such and just scratched my lil' 'ol head![B)] It was only later - while discussing it with another Rammer nut - that I realized what I'd been looking at. I've seen several with the Twin Stick option tho.

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

Comment

I remember the day I came across the lone E-stick I've ever seen. I saw the slave cylinder on the side of the bellhousing and extra tubes an' wires 'n such and just scratched my lil' 'ol head![B)] It was only later - while discussing it with another Rammer nut - that I realized what I'd been looking at. I've seen several with the Twin Stick option tho.

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

Comment

I know this is a Studebaker forum, but that is just a NEAT little car. Curved side glass, monocoque construction. Motor Trend car of the year for '63. Quite attractive. Makes the '63 Studebaker look very dated when held up against it.

I still don't get that E-Stick. How do you slip the clutch?

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I know this is a Studebaker forum, but that is just a NEAT little car. Curved side glass, monocoque construction. Motor Trend car of the year for '63. Quite attractive. Makes the '63 Studebaker look very dated when held up against it.

I still don't get that E-Stick. How do you slip the clutch?

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

VW made an Automatic Stickshift in the Beetle back around 1968. My late uncle had one. There was a microswitch in the shift lever, and the slightest pressure on it would cause the vacuum clutch to operate. IIRC, the system also incorporated a torque converter, and the tranny had 3 forward gears.

My uncle had had his left fused due to arthritis, so he could not drive a standard shift. The VW, which gave him many years of good service, replaced his '52 Chevy with Powerglide.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

VW made an Automatic Stickshift in the Beetle back around 1968. My late uncle had one. There was a microswitch in the shift lever, and the slightest pressure on it would cause the vacuum clutch to operate. IIRC, the system also incorporated a torque converter, and the tranny had 3 forward gears.

My uncle had had his left fused due to arthritis, so he could not drive a standard shift. The VW, which gave him many years of good service, replaced his '52 Chevy with Powerglide.

Comment

Working...
                              X