courtesy lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: courtesy lights

I have a '54 4 door sedan and the door post between the front and rear doors has a stamped out hole 1-1/2" x 4" complete with screw holes top and bottom with the appearance of accommodating a rear courtesy light. The rear door posts have a blank to be punched out for a courtesy light switch that I am going to install. The punched hole is under the upholstery, I discovered it when I removed the covering. Was there any models that had such courtesy lights? See photos.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04560.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	1751584Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04559.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	1751585

I am going to fabricate a box to fit in the hole and wire it with a light, but if there was a factory light it would be a lot easier. David

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
      I am going to fabricate a box to fit in the hole and wire it with a light, but if there was a factory light it would be a lot easier. David
      I doubt there is any box needed. If you don't have the right switch I'm sure there are plenty at one of the better swap meets or even online or possibly new from a Studebaker parts vendor. My 1950 Champion has courtesy light switches on all four doors and they just connect to the body harness wire and screwed in place with pan head screws. If you are looking for authenticity use slotted, not Phillips head screws. It's not likely this design would have changed with the new body in 1953. Just make sure that wire can't get grounded to the chassis.

Comment

There were never any "B" Pillar lights. I believe most of us agreed the last time someone found one of those holes that it was a Carry over from the days in '47-'52 when an Ash Tray went in that hole on some models.

The Medium and High Trim Level models all did have all 4 door Automatic Dome Light grounding Switches on the Hinge Pillars.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

An ashtray makes sense as the hole does have that shape. Therefore they must have carried the same post over in to the 54 models. I am still going to fabricate a light for it.

Comment

Working...
          X