PDA

View Full Version : Lark / Blazer hybrid

Lark Ken
08-18-2016, 07:38 PM
Interesting and could be a fun car!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/112055432012?forcerRptr=true&item=112055432012&frommaketrack=true&viewitem=&autorefresh=true

DEEPNHOCK
08-18-2016, 08:01 PM
Looks like it has potential...
Some nice conversion work done...

t walgamuth
08-18-2016, 08:04 PM
The stubby lark looks good sitting up there!;)

GrumpyOne
08-18-2016, 08:22 PM
I'm not a big fan of GM replacement engines but this one looks like a nice effort. I wish that the engine compartment was better illuminated with fill flash but from what I can see, it looks like a good fit.

Indeed... It could be a fun car and a reliable daily driver!

garyash
08-18-2016, 09:39 PM
Hmmm, about 20 miles from my house, and of course I NEED another Studebaker wagon like I need another hole in my head...

Jett289
08-18-2016, 09:45 PM
I agree GrumpyOne .. I'm not a big fan of GM as well but this wagon is very cool .. I would consider bidding but its just to damn far away for me ..
Looks like it was done very well ..

Milaca
08-18-2016, 09:54 PM
I'm impressed! That is a nice SUV (Studebaker Utility Vehicle).

Mrs K Corbin
08-19-2016, 06:36 AM
Hmmmmmmm bid on it and then just drive the thing home.....LOL

8E45E
08-19-2016, 07:09 AM
It appears to be a nice, clean conversion to a 4X4 chassis.

I would have mounted those three extra switches by the missing cigar lighter on the GM console, though, not on the dash.

Craig

evilhawk
08-19-2016, 11:46 AM
It looks right at home on a 4x4 chassis. I wish Studebaker would have built them this way. The only thing I would change would b the wheels. Very cool ride!

showbizkid
08-19-2016, 12:03 PM
Could we call it a Lazer?

studegary
08-19-2016, 01:54 PM
Could we call it a Lazer?

NO! I dislike it when people use lazer for the acronym laser and this would seem like the same thing.

Regarding this wagon, I like it enough to have put my starting bid in on it. Don't let that deter any of you. I do not need this wagon. If I buy a modified antique car, I would rather that it not have antique parts used in the modification (not antique at time of build of this wagon, but they are now).

r1lark
08-19-2016, 05:06 PM
NO! I dislike it when people use lazer for the acronym laser and this would seem like the same thing.

Regarding this wagon, I like it enough to have put my starting bid in on it. Don't let that deter any of you. I do not need this wagon. If I buy a modified antique car, I would rather that it not have antique parts used in the modification (not antique at time of build of this wagon, but they are now).

Ok, Gary doesn't like Lazer. So, maybe he would like Blark better? :D

t walgamuth
08-19-2016, 06:14 PM
Ok, Gary doesn't like Lazer. So, maybe he would like Blark better? :D

Beat me to it!;)

evilhawk
08-20-2016, 08:42 AM
Larzer has a certain ring to it as well

Jett289
08-20-2016, 10:16 PM
Wow GM got a lot of years out of that 4.3 Litre engine .. It was first introduced in 1978 and phased out in 2014 .. Various different sizes and horse powers ..
I think I will be watching this wagon to see what it sells for .. I do like it .. I would change the wheels for sure as well ..

studegary
08-22-2016, 02:21 PM
Wow GM got a lot of years out of that 4.3 Litre engine .. It was first introduced in 1978 and phased out in 2014 .. Various different sizes and horse powers ..
I think I will be watching this wagon to see what it sells for .. I do like it .. I would change the wheels for sure as well ..

Not a GM guy, but isn't that 4.3 V6 simply three-quarters of a common 350 V8?

What size (diameter) are those wheels? Perhaps Studebaker wheelcovers would cover those wheels.

t walgamuth
08-22-2016, 03:10 PM
Usually I have found the aluminum rims will not accept a clip on wheel cover unless they were made for it originally as an 83 Mercedes 240d was.

Bamajak
08-22-2016, 03:32 PM
I guess I am the only one worried about the owner living in central america......................

studegary
08-22-2016, 04:31 PM
I guess I am the only one worried about the owner living in central america......................

I am not worried about that. Why should I be?
I see his requirement of a cash payment as a stumbling block. I usually just send payment and then arrange for transport.
The last Studebaker where the guy insisted on cash, the seller lost the sale (not eBay) because of that requirement. That car was even further away. I was making arrangements for shipping when the guy insisted on cash payment. I got another driver and drove to the car with cash. One look and I drove back home with the cash.

allstateguy
08-22-2016, 04:44 PM
the wagon is in Massachusetts and that is where the final money/paperwork transfer would take place. The down to tie it up is through PayPal of course.

cultural infidel
08-23-2016, 02:54 PM
I really like it. I have always thought about putting a Lark Wagon on a AWD platform such as a Subaru/Volvo. Would make for a rad all seasons road warrior.

t walgamuth
08-23-2016, 08:26 PM

Oh, well, there is always that!;)

Jett289
08-24-2016, 10:55 AM
The chevy 4.3 was designed specifically the same as the 350 .. Might be a good thing as it would be long lasting and supposedly smooth running for a V6

garyash
08-24-2016, 11:13 AM
While you guys were debating Lazer versus Blark, I drove over to see and drive the car. The owner and his wife are very nice, do live in Central America most of the year, but have spent every summer in Marion, MA for many years. In fact, as we talked, we realized that we had seen each other's cars some years ago. Rick's wife has had a number of conversations with my wife and mother-in-law on the town beach. It seems I actually met her before they bought this car but were looking for a car for her. Anyway, the car looks pretty good, better than the photos show. The paint is in good, shiny condition and the upholstery is very nice. Yes, there are a few small rust bubbles developing at the lower, back edges of the front fenders, the rear doors, and rear quarters, but they aren't bad. The floors and firewall were good, no visible rust holes and little surface corrosion. Underneath is OK, too.

This is a very nice driver. It starts easily, runs smoothly, has enough power. I drove it a few miles down some county roads. The air shocks were pumped up hard so it was a little bouncy but not too bad. As the seller claimed, you could get in this car and drive home to anywhere. They had the car in Central America for a few years, drove it back to California, and drove it to Massachusetts later, so it is capable of long distance travel in air-conditioned comfort, with a modern radio to boot. He did a good, neat job of the conversion with good attention to detail and finish. As he says, it was done 15 years ago or so, so it does show some wear but not too bad. So, the Lark body is 55 years old and the Blazer engine and chassis are now 25 years old, but it should be maintainable as the Blazer stuff is pretty much stock.

t walgamuth
08-24-2016, 01:22 PM
Cool!..........

studegary
08-24-2016, 02:24 PM
While you guys were debating Lazer versus Blark, I drove over to see and drive the car.

If I was 20 miles from it, as you stated you were, I would have gone to see it also.
I placed a bid on it - Did you? It is now more than I would spend on it (don't really have a use for it or a desire for it, just thought that it was unusual and with a good Lark body).

garyash
08-24-2016, 03:31 PM
No, I'm not bidding on the car. Feel free to bid as you will. I did send a more detailed report to someone who asked me to look at the car, but I didn't leave anything out in what I posted here. I'll be happy to help out anyone who does buy the car. There's usually room to stay here, if we're not traveling elsewhere.

Once when I offered lodging to a car guy and his family who were passing through, my wife said, "Are you sure it's OK to have them here? You don't know them. They might be axe murderers!" They weren't. They were very nice, and we had a wide ranging discussion at dinner. At one point, the guy's wife said that she hadn't been sure about staying with us. She had told her husband, "We don't know them. They might be axe murderers." From that, I conclude that Americans' greatest fear is assault by axe murderers! As it happens, Lizzie Borden did chop up her poppa and momma just ten miles from my home. Remember the old Tom Lehrer song about Lizzie?

Rick Chalmers
08-24-2016, 07:28 PM
Hello Studebaker people, my name is Rick Chalmers. I'm the person offering the car on Ebay. I have joined this group after meeting Gary this morning and discovering that y'all like minded folks have a forum specifically to enhance and fortify your Studebaker madness! Like you guys, I'm a car nut. For credentials beyond my passion, I have previously held a masters ASE technician certification and welding certificates. I also was the owner of an automotive repair facility in San Diego for 13 years. Because I have resided in Costa Rica for over a decade, my "credentials" are getting a little old! However, my other projects include a modified '57 Volkswagen pickup, converted to battery power, and other modified and restored cars and trucks dating back to the '70's.

Thank you Gary for the kind words about the car. What you failed to mention is that you and your vehicle are what brought me into the Lark family! How the story goes is this: One summer (about 2001 -2002) my wife saw your car tooling around the Dartmouth/New Bedford area. She then told me she wanted one! So it was your interest and devotion to the marque that led us into ownership! I had already identified the car as a great example of a compact wagon. I'm a station wagon guy, and had already identified this specific car even before my wife Heidi mentioned to me she had seen Gary's car. So I brought this car home from Colorado Springs, being chased all the way out of Colorado by a snow blizzard, driving alongside snow plows pushing some funny looking frozen water and orange chemical spewing de-icing trucks, while driving in a stock car with drum brakes, wimpy wipers and an ineffective heater! FUN!

In 2003 I modified the car and sent it via shipping container to Costa Rica. We put the car in storage for some years, but then in 2008 I legalized the car in Costa Rica for the purpose of exporting it. We drove it up through middle America and Mexico to California for my 30th (and Heidi's 20th) high school reunions. the car has been stored in Marion, Ma. ever since, and continues to be our summer car when we vacate in order to dodge the Central America raining season.

I could go on and on about the car, it's construction and our trips and the memories we have created. Instead, I'll give this thread back to you guys, and I'll make myself available to answer, to the best of my abilities, your questions. Looking through the current posts on this thread, there are questions about nomenclature and the Ebay auction deposit/payment structure.

Regarding the payment issue, It is my intention to refund the $500 deposit to the winning bidder if he/she decides the car is not as advertised. I believe I have under represented the condition of the car, aiming to have the buyer be pleased when they show up and discover how wonderful it really is.

And as to the discussion about a name that captures the hybrid nature of the vehicle, I propose a new name: CHARK (pronounced "Shark") of course!

Cheers,
Rick

cultural infidel
08-24-2016, 09:13 PM
Rick, I got to thinking about your wagon. Did you happen to keep a blog or do some articles about your road trip from South America? It all seems so familiar to me, that I may have read about it at one time.

Rick Chalmers
08-25-2016, 06:37 AM
Yes, I did blog the journey and posted the build, along with some other adventures. I did the blog on a website I created to sell military trucks in Costa Rica. However I stopped operating the website a few years ago. But because of the interest in the Lark, I found there are websites that are designed to save information that is on other websites, so it is still possible to see most of my old website. Here are instructions to access the old blog:

* Go to: http://web.archive.org/web/20120215000000*/http://advmo.com
* Click on the calendar date: "April 18th", 2012
* Click on "Blog" in the green menu panel to the left
* Click on "Studebaker" in the blue menu panel to the right
* Scroll down to the very bottom. The blog reads in segments from the bottom up. As I mentioned, there are almost no photos of the construction. It looks like most of the travel images are intact.

Cheers,
Rick

Rick Chalmers
08-25-2016, 06:41 AM
I would have mounted those three extra switches by the missing cigar lighter on the GM console, though, not on the dash.

I agree, or behind the glove box door, completely out of sight. I would have loved to leave the dash alone! Problem was, the switches are too big to be located in either place. I struggled with the decision and I still don't like what felt I had to do.

Rick

Rick Chalmers
08-25-2016, 06:46 AM
Usually I have found the aluminum rims will not accept a clip on wheel cover.

This. I kept the stock, body colored rims for years, thinking about how I could go back to stock looking steel rims that had the bumps to hold the stock hubcaps. Believe me when I say the wife was on me about this unfinished detail!

The 4 original hubcaps are included in the sale of the car, and I'll leave it to the new owner how to get it looking proper!

Rick

cultural infidel
08-25-2016, 12:48 PM
Yes, I did blog the journey and posted the build, along with some other adventures. I did the blog on a website I created to sell military trucks in Costa Rica. However I stopped operating the website a few years ago. But because of the interest in the Lark, I found there are websites that are designed to save information that is on other websites, so it is still possible to see most of my old website. Here are instructions to access the old blog:

* Go to: http://web.archive.org/web/20120215000000*/http://advmo.com
* Click on the calendar date: "April 18th"
* Click on "Blog" in the green menu panel to the left
* Click on "Studebaker" in the blue menu panel to the right
* Scroll down to the very bottom. The blog reads in segments from the bottom up. As I mentioned, there are almost no photos of the construction. It looks like most of the travel images are intact.

Cheers,
Rick

Thanks! That's it! I remember checking out that page with my uncle when we first started talking about getting his back on the road.

r1lark
08-25-2016, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the info Rick! This is a great vehicle, the travels you have taken in it prove that. :!!:

Can you confirm one thing -- was the Blazer frame shortened and the entire thing put under the station wagon, or has the original Studebaker frame been 'clipped' by splicing the front portion of the Blazer frame onto the Studebaker frame roughly at the firewall?

t walgamuth
08-25-2016, 09:46 PM
Looks to me like a total frame swap, which is no problem since the blazer gives plenty of room under the frame.

Rick Chalmers
08-26-2016, 06:30 AM
My solution was somewhere between those mentioned options!

It has a longer, deeper overlap than what I know to be a clip. I used the front half of the blazer frame, from the transmission crossmember forward, and overlapped it onto the wagon frame. That was the easiest and most direct method to maintain the entire front torsion bar suspension, transmission mounts, engine mounting and so on in their engineered positions. Using approximately 70% of the rear of the wagon frame, the grafted area is about 18" long and has three axises that comprise the joining. I had to create new A pillar and front clip mounting horns to support the body on the new frame.

Custom rear springs were made to fit the Blazer rear differential.

Rick

8E45E
08-26-2016, 06:42 AM
I agree, or behind the glove box door, completely out of sight. I would have loved to leave the dash alone! Problem was, the switches are too big to be located in either place. I struggled with the decision and I still don't like what felt I had to do.

Wouldn't they have all fit on the radio cover plate? A 1959 cover plate is plain painted steel, and would more solid than the thin aluminum on later models.

Craig

r1lark
08-26-2016, 07:51 AM
My solution was somewhere between those mentioned options!

It has a longer, deeper overlap than what I know to be a clip. I used the front half of the blazer frame, from the transmission crossmember forward, and overlapped it onto the wagon frame. That was the easiest and most direct method to maintain the entire front torsion bar suspension, transmission mounts, engine mounting and so on in their engineered positions. Using approximately 70% of the rear of the wagon frame, the grafted area is about 18" long and has three axises that comprise the joining. I had to create new A pillar and front clip mounting horns to support the body on the new frame.

Custom rear springs were made to fit the Blazer rear differential.

Rick

Thanks for clarifying this Rick! Sounds like a good idea, especially since the Blazer had a torsion bar suspension (which honestly I did not know).

Do you have any pictures that you can share of the completed frame, without the body mounted?

JoeHall
08-26-2016, 08:23 AM
I love it, exactly as is :)

Rick Chalmers
08-26-2016, 01:07 PM
The under dash A/C and related ducting pretty much filled the space behind the dash area, so I ended up putting them where I could easily access the controls while cleanly adding the wires to the cross dash loom. I had already decided not to cut holes in either the radio cover plate nor the passenger dash cover, as they had the Lark symbols. I repeat, I don't like the compromise I made, but I'm not going back to change it now. Say La Vee!

Rick

Rick Chalmers
08-26-2016, 01:09 PM
Nope, the blog I kept during the project had the photos that would have explained all. All that is left to view is a single photo of the rolling chassis, side by side. See my post (#31) fopr directions to the blog.

Rick

Rick Chalmers
08-31-2016, 10:41 AM
Everyone,

This car sold for our reserve price of $6500. I thank you all for your interest and kind words! I hope the new owner continues to maintain and drive the car around as we have done. It sure brings memories and joy to fellow travellers wherever we went.

Rick

studegary
08-31-2016, 01:22 PM
Everyone,

This car sold for our reserve price of $6500. I thank you all for your interest and kind words! I hope the new owner continues to maintain and drive the car around as we have done. It sure brings memories and joy to fellow travellers wherever we went.

Rick

Good for you and the car, as well as the new owner. The new owner currently drives his nice, modified Studebaker pickup all around, so I believe that your Lark went to a good home.

garyash
08-31-2016, 03:34 PM
Joe picked up the car this afternoon from Rick. He stopped at my house on his way back to Pawling, NY. He and his wife should have fun with the car.

Mikado282
08-31-2016, 05:16 PM
I hope the new owner will post with his impressions of his new car. And pictures too.

Jett289
08-31-2016, 07:06 PM
Congratulations Joe .. I wanted that car but with Alberta and and the oil industry in the tank I'm trying to be frugal ..

jpepper
08-31-2016, 10:01 PM
Put a Champ grill in it and it is a Studebaker SUV. What would it have been called had Studebaker built it? GM called both the Blazers and the pickup S-10's. ?????

8E45E
08-31-2016, 10:24 PM
What would it have been called had Studebaker built it?

Studebaker could have resurrected the 'Trailblazer' name for it. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?17146-Desert-Explorer-info-pics-wanted

Craig

cultural infidel
09-01-2016, 08:58 AM
Put a Champ grill in it and it is a Studebaker SUV. What would it have been called had Studebaker built it? GM called both the Blazers and the pickup S-10's. ?????

I'm going to be putting a champ Grill on my Lark wagon pretty soon! I can't wait to see how it looks.