Terrible tragedy, latest California Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible tragedy, latest California Fire

While they are all terrible, watching the news this morning, I have seen reporters position themselves to show destruction in the backdrop. As this is a car interest forum, it is natural for us car folks to cast our eyes toward destroyed vehicles. In the latest reports, I have seen numerous vehicles, from vintage cars, Jeeps, and farm tractors. All reduced to burned rubble.

Being Studebaker focused...a sigh of relief, that I have not seen one of those. However, my heart goes out to all, because we know, their "stuff," means just as much to them, as our "stuff," means to us. Loss of a lifetime of treasures, memories, and even life...hard to imagine. Prayers for all affected.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

I know what you mean, John. I cringe whenever I see pictures. I too have seen some burned out hulks that were obviously once treasured classics. Let's hope they get the fires out soon.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Just a note: The California fire season does not usually get underway until September.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

A serial arsonist has been arrested and charged with setting the fires. If convicted, one would hope he ends up in an equally hot place for all the lives ruined, not just the environmental and property damage.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Heard on the news yesterday that a 192- Studebaker was lost in the fire.

Can't even image such a thing, and we think hurricane on the east coast at least we get a few days warning.

Johnny

Comment

Even fire tends to move a touch slower, this one consumed over 30,000 acres within 24 hours! It didn't spread, it exploded! While authorities believe everyone got out, they will be going house to house in some areas with cadaver dogs, the fire moved that fast.

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly with John, Eddie and especially Gunslinger. I can't get my head around why someone would and could do this sort of thing. I hope they rot in H%*l.

Comment

The whole thing in the Cajon Pass moved amazingly fast. This is an area through the mountains just north of Riverside which is a main route from LA to Los Vegas - enormous divided freeway and a major rail route for the Union Pacific as well. My wife was listening to the news when it all started, and it grew to 1,000 acres in less than an hour; 5,000 in less than two hours; now up to over 35,000.

In addition to all the homes destroyed, we also lost the Summit Inn, a historic restaurant from the old Route 66 days, near Victorville.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                X