PDA

View Full Version : BP & his Studes OK in Brownsburg, IN Tornadoes???

56Golden
08-15-2016, 11:13 PM
http://www.wndu.com/content/news/WATCH-Tornadoes-touch-down-near-Indianapolis-390253201.html :confused:

BobPalma
08-16-2016, 05:24 AM
:) Thanks, Jim; we're OK. That's about as close to a tornado touchdown as I have ever lived or witnessed, but the touchdown was at least a mile from our propoerty as the crow flies.

'Funniest thing is that it was unbelievably calm at our house, with a little rain. If you weren't watching the news or listening to the tornado warning sirens screaming, you'd think it was an ordinary, slightly-rainy evening. Eerie, to be sure, but to stand on our front porch and look in the direction of the "tornado," you had no idea anything amiss was happening so close by. :eek:

SDCer Lanny Bertram (1963 R2/4-speed Lark Custom 2-door, 1950 Champion convertible) was a little closer to the path when it came up from the south, but the news reports had no damage in his neighborhood. 'Closer than Lanny would like, I'm sure. Ultimately, it passed only a few miles west of Ted Harbit's place, but it may have been back up in the air at the time. It was going up and down as well as diagonally SW to NE across Indiana.

Thanks again for your concern. :cool: BP

ndynis
08-16-2016, 06:29 AM
Glad to hear all of you are fine!

1954khardtop
08-16-2016, 07:47 AM
Bob, glad it missed you!

Stu Chapman
08-16-2016, 07:57 AM
Just had a look at the video Bob. That's pretty frightening. Glad you're ok.

Stu Chapman

jclary
08-16-2016, 08:10 AM
I too, am glad you managed to steer that storm in another direction.;):)

Question...If you were to look out the window, and see that coming...would you run to the "Morton" building, or hunker down in the house?:confused:

Bill Pressler
08-16-2016, 08:36 AM
Geez, I totally missed this story! Glad all's OK for sure!

8E45E
08-16-2016, 08:38 AM
Me too! First, a natural gas explosion which levelled a city block not far away a few years ago, and now this!!

Craig

r1lark
08-16-2016, 08:59 AM
Question...If you were to look out the window, and see that coming...would you run to the "Morton" building, or hunker down in the house?:confused:

Knowing how careful Bob is with his collector cars, he may have a system installed that will, with the push of a button, lower all those cars 20 feet underground and cover them with a blast door capable of withstanding a nuclear strike. :)

j.byrd
08-16-2016, 11:12 AM
Good news Bob P, we were in the April 74 tornados in Alabama, these things are serious ! Now, per r1lark's comment, I also bet that if Bob has a "Lowering System" to protect the cars with a stand by electrical back-up system, then that may be a case of the most battery hold downs in existence, and also explains his comment in another post about "having an extra one".

BobPalma
08-16-2016, 12:04 PM
I too, am glad you managed to steer that storm in another direction.;):)

:!: We have a full, deep basement, John. That's where we'd be! :cool: BP

BobPalma
08-16-2016, 12:08 PM
Me too! First, a natural gas explosion which levelled a city block not far away a few years ago, and now this! Craig

;) That explosion was many miles from us, Craig; at least 15, maybe 20. It posed no threat to us, thankfully! :cool: BP

jclary
08-16-2016, 12:28 PM
:!: We have a full, deep basement, John. That's where we'd be! :cool: BP

Wish I had one of those! When we were building my house, I was there, with the builder, when another friend showed up to install my septic system. As he was struggling trying to dig through huge boulders of blue granite, I mentioned that I wished I could have a basement.:(

Both of them laughed. The septic installer told me he didn't think I could afford the dynamite.:rolleyes::QQ: So, I ended up with a crawl space, and I mean "crawl.":ohmy:

There have been a few times, when we have closed all the interior doors, and hunkered down in the hall.:eek: I enjoy living on a hill, overlooking the fields, not worrying about flooding, but the wind, and hail have given us a few white knuckle moments.;)

clonelark
08-16-2016, 11:29 PM
Living in tornado ally i know how fearful a tornado can be, I watched a tornado about 5 blocks from my old house from my roof ,do heavy damage, saw insulation and 2x4s flying everywhere. Then we had a tornado do major damage in Catoosa Ok. it set down 1 mile from my house and was on the ground for miles, it was also rain wrapped and i couldn't see it at all.

56Golden
08-24-2016, 09:20 PM
:eek: ROUND TWO!!! (another just hit this evening ...8/24/2016)

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/08/24/extremely-dangerous-tornado-near-indianapolis/21458290/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl6%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-1056782062_htmlws-main-bb

Green53
08-24-2016, 10:38 PM
Glad you are ok. The big one that hit Omaha in 1975 missed our house by three blocks

Denny L

Buzzard
08-24-2016, 10:59 PM
Whew!!! from your pals in Canada!

StudeRich
08-25-2016, 02:04 AM
Well IS HE? This is round TWO and no word since 8/16! :(

t walgamuth
08-25-2016, 06:50 AM
Last night the Mrs. and I were out with the intent of going to an antique store in Kokomo yesterday evening. When we got over there the power was out at the lights a mile or two from the south edge of town. We went on in and found the power out all around the south side of town. We had wanted to look then eat at the cracker barrel but without having any idea when the power would be back on we headed home. On the way home on the radio we heard that there had been a touch down in Kokomo close to the time we were mucking about.

I want to go over there today but will have to see if the power is on yet.

BobPalma
08-25-2016, 08:08 AM
:) All clear here; dodged the bullet again, and by a wider margin.

Folks up the road in Kokomo not so fortunate...and 'still waiting to hear from Ted Harbit, because they got closer to his place this time. However, I'm sure he's OK because I got an e-mail from him this morning on another topic and he didn't mention storm damage.

Thanks for everyone's concern. :cool: BP

FleetMaster68
08-25-2016, 08:13 AM
Howard county- Kokomo- under state of emergency. Stay off roads, they can arrest you. At least one tornado, EF-3, winds to 160 cut through the town and large shopping mall. Stay away while people come to terms and law enforcement maintains control. Limited injuries, no fatalities as of an hour ago. Previous job i had was doing field work less than a half mile from many images i have seen. Three years ago my house and neighbors were hit by 100 MPH winds and w weak EF-0 tornado.trees down but other property damage limited. Only injuries during cleanup. I hope nobody here gets to share the experience...
SK

t walgamuth
08-25-2016, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the update on Kokomo. I want to go over there as soon as its safe and they have power.