Crankshaft Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Crankshaft Question

My 1964 Commander came to me equipped with an I6 and automatic transmission. Can anyone tell me if the '64 six cylinder crankshaft flanges are different for an automatic and a manual transmission?

I'd lookup the crankshaft part numbers in my manual, if I only had one. Please let me know if you have any questions regarding this post, or if you require additional information. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,
    SilentRon

The Flanges are the same, they have threaded holes for Flywheel or Flexplate Screws to inter from the Rear.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank you StudeRich. Exactly the info I needed. Is it wrong to love a car forum?

SilentRon

Comment

, Also the bolts for standard trans cars are longer than automatic trans car , and don't forget the pilot bushing if you are going the standard route ED

Comment

I'm not planning to convert to a standard shift. However, if the crankshafts are in fact identical for the standard shift and automatic trans I6 engines, then I'd like someone to please explain to me why the snout on my torque converter does NOT fit the bore on the crankshaft from a standard shift I6. Thanks again!

Respectfully,
          SilentRon

Comment

Been there. Done that many years ago. Seems that I used a drill to "ream" the crank hole to fit the torque converter.

Comment

Originally posted by SilentRon View Post
              I'm not planning to convert to a standard shift. However, if the crankshafts are in fact identical for the standard shift and automatic trans I6 engines, then I'd like someone to please explain to me why the snout on my torque converter does NOT fit the bore on the crankshaft from a standard shift I6. Thanks again!

Respectfully,
              SilentRon
              Did you pull the old pilot bushing out completely? The pilot bushing for a manual is smaller diameter than the TC snout.

Comment

The pilot bearing is in a std trans flywheel, not the end of the crank like the V8.I believe the TC snout rests in the crank tail end bore and i have seen cranks that weren't bored, only centered! brain need's major overhaul but this sticks out like a sore spot.we jury rigged a bracket and centered a bit and drilled the hole our selves. it worked quite well . Luck Doofus

Comment

I thought all Commanders were built with 8 and champions were 6cyl

Comment

I changed an automatic to a standard an had to drop the pan and rear main cap to change out the bolts. Engine was a 1953 in a commander

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkowner View Post
                      I changed an automatic to a standard an had to drop the pan and rear main cap to change out the bolts. Engine was a 1953 in a commander
                      The Champion-style six cylinders had the flywheel (or flexplate) bolts retained differently than a V8.
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC
                      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkowner View Post
                        I thought all Commanders were built with 8 and champions were 6cyl
                        No, not in all years.
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Darrell (hawkowner)

1947 to 1950 Commanders were Larger Sixes, "223" & "245".

The 1951 to 1958 Commanders were V8's; 232, 224 and 259.

The 1964 Commanders could be ordered with ANY Studebaker Engine, from the 170 OHV 6 Cyl. to the 304.5 C.I.D. High Performance R3 Supercharged Avanti Type Engine.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                          X