My custom '55 Champion Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My custom '55 Champion Coupe

I've always built my cars the way I want them, Chevys, Mopars and now my slick Studebaker. Mine is in progress while I fix rust issues along with absolutely everything else. It sat for many years and mice really worked it over. Even had a nest above the headliner on the passenger side and that rusted holes in the roof panel. I fixed those and continue to cut and weld fender quarters and floors. I have a Mopar 360 engine and 904 torqueflite
    transmission that will replace the flathead six. I've had a few times that I almost decided to just run the six, but I'd like a bit more torque and this engine has been sitting on my run stand for two years. I think it will be a fun swap. The engine is bone stock--no hotroddin'.
    One thing about the '55 that I struggle with is the appearance of the front end. I much prefer the '53/'54 hood, grills and tighter-fitting bumper. That mass of chrome of the '55 front is too much for me. I'm in the market for the parts to smooth out my '55 front end to look like a '53/'54. I guess that calls for all the above mentioned parts along with hood latch parts and I don't know what all else. Would anyone be able to help me with this search? I live in Denver, Colorado but can travel some reasonable distance. I'm kinda unclear on "reasonable" distance. Probably depends on condition of parts and how a deal would work.
    Thanks all for listening to an old retired guy. I was born at the end of WWII.

Jerry Lyons in Denver

No offence Jerry, but if you haven't gotten too deep into the 55, SELL IT, and buy a 53. You will probably come out better. I felt the same way you do and I ended up buying a complete car. The parts you want, are already being looked for by a lot of people.

Comment

Let's face it: 53-54 has a nicer face but that's ALL; 55 has dashboard, tail-lights & (as in my own) nicer interior = now ALL you have to do is swap front!

& I'm also the kinda guy who makes my cars the way I(!) want them & think MoPar 360 + 727 is as good as it gets, exept maby a Hemi...

Comment

Jerry,...You probably have a 'truck type' oil pan on your 360?...That's a must when dropping one of those 'torque monsters' into a Stude!

Comment

How about a fiberglass 53 front end? Perhaps even a one piece tilt one. There are a variety available.

There is a '53 C body that is in the process of being modified that is for sale in this month's TW.

If you are "old", what does that make me? I was born before WW II started. Old is a relative term and many here are older than you are.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
            Let's face it: 53-54 has a nicer face but that's ALL; 55 has dashboard, tail-lights & (as in my own) nicer interior = now ALL you have to do is swap front!

& I'm also the kinda guy who makes my cars the way I(!) want them & think MoPar 360 + 727 is as good as it gets, exept maby a Hemi...
            I was by no means knocking a 55. I have had 3 55 coupes and a 55 sedan. I was just going by the cost of finding and buying all the 53 parts separate. I believe I could buy a whole car easier and cheaper than all the extra work. I am old too, (72) and I like easier sometimes. LOL. But I am glad we all can have the years we want, IF, we can. I beg to differ, however on the 53 vs the 55, on any of the things you mentioned. The only things I like better on the 55 coupe are the mechanical upgrades, which most of us change anyway. I do, however, like the 55 sedans.

And on a final note, I prefer a R1 Studebaker engine with a 3 speed O.D. Sooo, I guess we won't be chasing the same cars and parts. That's good. LOL

Comment

Yep, I've figured out that others are looking for the parts I want, either to do plastic surgery on a '55, or to repair a '53/'54. This '55 of mine is really pretty solid with standard '55 rust, but not all eaten up. I do have a truck pan for the 360. The dash on this '55 is OK, but it needs a couple of the speedo numbers fixed up. Haven't found anyone making repro speedo numbers for any Studes. Rather than make a bigger mess of it, I'll just use it as is. It's up in the 90 mph area where I don't operate--scary and potentially expensive. I'll be checking out the tw info. Maybe something will come my way. If no early parts come along by the time I want to apply paint, I will just build a '55. It ain't that bad. The slick body shape is what I like.

Thanks for the replies. My involvement with other forums, like Chevy, Mopr, are populated with much younger guys. This group just about has to involve older guys since Studebaker went away a long time ago. Reminds me, I took my trunk lock to a locksmith here in Denver and he asked me what kind of car the lock was for. When I told him Studebaker he paused and said "what's a Studebaker. Guy had little kids, so he was in his thirties.

i'm having so much fun working on this '55 that I'd hate to let it go, even for a real '53/4.

Gotta stop and rest up for tomorrow's work.
              Jerry

Comment

Dodge vans -not only trucks- also have "our" type of oil-pan.
                I'm using gauge-"interiors" from 63-64(?) in my meter-housings, because I went for 12 volt.
                One of the meters goes the wrong way thou, don't remember if it's the gas or temp, I'm not at home right now to check it.
                They look a bit different & took some small work to fit as I almost remember now, it was a few years ago & I'm 56 years young...

Comment

Gauge interiors from possibly '63 '64 Dodge vans and or trucks? How did they fit?

Comment

No, from -63 or -64 Studebaker... sorry, I only used MoPar engine, gearbox & rear axel!

Comment

Cant you still use your 55 front fenders and add repo fiberglass grille suround and the center parts off the 53-54, and another thing i have been thinking about is chrome wrap on the grilles and bumpers.
                      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

I've considered the fiberglass hood and grill surround. Costs a lot of money but could wind up costing less than original parts plus metal repairs. I do my own metal work but it is time consuming. If the search for good parts goes too long, fiberglass will certainly become more attractive.

Comment

The '55 also has a stronger frame than the 53, just something else to consider in your decision process.
                          Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA
                          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                          X