If I were to put AC in my 58 President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I were to put AC in my 58 President

If I were to put AC in my 58 President I would want to do a trunk mounted system. The holes are already in the rear deck for the AC unit as it's the same rear deck in the 58 Packard's and I've seen a few of them with the trunk mount AC unit, supposedly from the factory. One had the clear vents that lead from the deck up towards the top of the rear window. That would be nice because I wouldn't have to worry about having the correct blower united mounted on the floor, it would be hidden in the trunk. I'm wondering how hard this would be to install. Mostly thinking that the parts under the hood and the cooling part that goes in front of the radiator may be quite hard to do?? I would need a compressor that would require different pulley's and belts. I'm also wondering if my radiator would be able to handle the new load without overheating the engine. It's new.
    Jim Rostron

Adding a/c to your '58 president is an excellent idea, and there is more room for the associated components on a sedan type than a coupe/hardtop model.

However, I think trying to re-create the obsolete factory system is not the way to go...a modern system, as advertised in TW, with a compact underdash evaporator unit, would be what I'd use!

Comment

I have the 2 door hard top. i'M going for my AACA senior in Hershey in Oct. If I get that I'll put AC in but still I would like the rear deck one.

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
      Adding a/c to your '58 president is an excellent idea, and there is more room for the associated components on a sedan type than a coupe/hardtop model.

However, I think trying to re-create the obsolete factory system is not the way to go...a modern system, as advertised in TW, with a compact underdash evaporator unit, would be what I'd use!
      Jim Rostron

Comment

Originally posted by mnmfive View Post
        I have the 2 door hard top. i'M going for my AACA senior in Hershey in Oct. If I get that I'll put AC in but still I would like the rear deck one.
        Your '58 president must be gorgeous, and at THAT judging level, I guess I'd want the a/c to be factory stock also!.....Good luck!

Comment

Jim, I have a question for you. Please check your PMs.

Comment

There are rear mount units on the market now that could possibly fit in the the old case of a Novi unit.
            StudeRick & Johna
            Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
            1957 Silver Hawk
            1963 Avanti
            1961 Lark Wagon
            1963 Lark Daytona

Comment

I have Vintage air, heat and defrost under dash on my M series , love it when needed , but seldom use it with the vent windows and fresh air in front of windshield, I do have out in garage a rear A/C from a suburban , that may be a way to go if you don't want one under dash .
              Randy Wilkin
              1946 M5 Streetrod
              Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Thank you! I will definitely keep it in mind.

Originally posted by rodnutrandy View Post
                I have Vintage air, heat and defrost under dash on my M series , love it when needed , but seldom use it with the vent windows and fresh air in front of windshield, I do have out in garage a rear A/C from a suburban , that may be a way to go if you don't want one under dash .
                - - - Updated - - -

Thank you! I'll look around for them too.

Originally posted by Studerick64 View Post
                There are rear mount units on the market now that could possibly fit in the the old case of a Novi unit.
                Jim Rostron

Comment

Vintage Air offers a trunk mount unit.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The 1958 Studebaker cars went to Sutton air conditioners under dash.
                    There were plenty of trunk mounted NOVI dealer kits left over and I have seen these
                    installed in 1958 cars but that is not factory correct.

Robert Kapteyn
                    Last edited by rkapteyn; 08-15-2016, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Are you absolutely sure? My buddy, he passed, had the 1958 Packard 4 door sedan with trunk mounted AC. He told me it was factory. I think meaning that it was installed at the dealer.

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                      The 1958 Studebaker cars went to Sutton air conditioners under dash.
                      There were plenty of trunk mounted NOVI dealer kits left over and I have seen these
                      installed in 1958 cars but that is not factory correct.

Robert Kapteyn
                      Jim Rostron

Comment

Yes I am sure that the trunk mounted air conditioners in 1958 were dealer installed. I even saw a 1958 Packard Hawk with a trunk mounted AC but that was dealer installed or bought and installed by the owner.
                        If anyone is interested , I have a 1955 (6 Volt) trunk mounted unit for sale
                        Robert Kapteyn
                        studebaker@mac.com

Comment

Robert, I thought all Studebaker AC units were installed by the dealer back in 1958.

Yes I am sure that the trunk mounted air conditioners in 1958 were dealer installed. I even saw a 1958 Packard Hawk with a trunk mounted AC but that was dealer installed or bought and installed by the owner.
                          If anyone is interested , I have a 1955 (6 Volt) trunk mounted unit for sale
                          Robert Kapteyn
                          studebaker@mac.com
                          Jim Rostron

Comment

Jim
                            I will double check this

Comment

Cool, Thanks!

Jim
                              I will double check this
                              Jim Rostron