53 Pick Up on SSR complete chassis and drive train

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 Pick Up on SSR complete chassis and drive train

Here are a few quick shots of the complete front to rear 9000 mile SSR chassis and drive train with 5.3 liter motor and 4L60E trans. It was sold in pieces to a friend who also does all body work and painting on my cars thru his shop in LaGrange Ohio, Jeff Runyon. He has cursory assembled the the body on the chassis in these photos. It is for sale now to be completed as you desire or after it is done. Jeff can be reached at 440 837 0304 to discuss possibilities.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	1751541Click image for larger version

Name:	003a.jpg
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	1751542Click image for larger version

Name:	004a.jpg
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	1751543Click image for larger version

Name:	008a.jpg
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	1751544

Ran this down on the interweb. Going to take some heavy fab in the bed area but should make a great finished product. Much better front width than the S10/Dakota chassis.

Comment

Why doesn't it have the SSR body on it any more?
      1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
      1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
      1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
      1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
      1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
      1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

I bet it was wrecked.
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
          I bet it was wrecked.
          WRONG !!! Bought that at Cleveland Power and Performance in North Ridgeville Ohio three years ago while buying a drop out motor from a 2009 Corvette. Saw six of the SSR chassis sitting in another area of the building. Asked about them and was given pricing on the six. Was then told they were parting out one they purchased with only 9500 miles in their dismantling area. Asked them why part out a perfectly good truck. He said four of the six I just saw were parted while the other two were wrecked. They said sheet metal parts from these for repair were sparse...... and they were known to many others for their SSR parts. I bought it on the spot..... identical to the photo sweet old bob posted.

Bob, If you look close at the bed it needs to come down 4 inches over the frame. The floor will be cut out and a new metal one from Classic Enterprises will be grafted in. New fenders will be purchased and moved back three inches to mirror present wheelbase of SSR......quick, simple and painless.
          Last edited by mike super; 08-14-2016, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Keep us posted, I wanna see this one when completed!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
              Keep us posted, I wanna see this one when completed!
              Jeff plans to join the forum to keep everyone posted as the build progresses. Am including a few shots of the 56 he painted and assembled getting ready for interior install.
              Attached Files

Comment

How about it somebody tips the front of the box a bit down and lifts the rear of the cab a bit up so that they match? Plus you'll have that Hot Rod rake!

It's kind of weird that fairly decent low milage SSRs are already being chopped and cannibalized for parts.
                1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Mike
                  Thanks for convincing Jeff to join up. I'm looking forward to this build as a friend had a 455 Buick powered C-cab on an S10 chassis. This should trump that build nicely.
                  Bob

Comment

I like it!
                    Wish I was 20 years younger and still working!
                    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                      Mike
                      Thanks for convincing Jeff to join up. I'm looking forward to this build as a friend had a 455 Buick powered C-cab on an S10 chassis. This should trump that build nicely.
                      Bob
                      Understatement Bob. Jeff had the foresight and vision to do it better than right !!!!! When he is done with the truck it will be one of a kind,

Comment

Originally posted by DougHolverson View Post

It's kind of weird that fairly decent low milage SSRs are already being chopped and cannibalized for parts.
                        Cuz they are ugly until the body is taken off?
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Paul you may be right.
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                          X