studebaker ac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studebaker ac

my Studebaker cruiser has ac. my build sheet states it came with ac. yet I looks like it is a add on vintage ac unit. did Studebaker install the ac unit after the car was produced?. because you would think the ac unit would have been incorporated into the dash board. were the rest of the Studebaker line up have ac that appeared to be a add on unit?. this is just a thought more then a question. can anyone enlighten me?. thanks in advance. leonard.

I can not think of one U.S. Car, there MAY be one or two maybe, Cadilacs or Lincolns that actually HAD Dash incorporated Air Cond. in 1964, doesn't matter because Studebaker like Ford did not.

Did you ever see a '65 Mustang or AMC with Air? Same unit!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Leonard, the Avanti was really the only Studebaker that incorporated air conditioning into the dash, so to speak, in that the ductwork came through console outlets.

Rich, check out some literature in The Old Car Manual Project. You'll find quite a few lesser manufacturers had air conditioning incorporated in the dash by 1964, including Rambler and Rambler Ambassador. Chevrolet air conditioning was incorporated as we know it today by 1963, except the cheapie "Cool-Pack" under-dash units that were dealer-installed. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Are you saying that I can put AC in my 58 President that would be just like a dealer would install in 1958?

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        I can not think of one U.S. Car, there MAY be one or two maybe, Cadilacs or Lincolns that actually HAD Dash incorporated Air Cond. in 1964, doesn't matter because Studebaker like Ford did not.

Did you ever see a '65 Mustang or AMC with Air? Same unit!
        Jim Rostron

Comment

From 1957 on, AC was an option in Studebakers. Also, many dealers would install when requested, or refer to a shop nearby for the job. Back then, aftermarket companies flourished, and install shops were east to find. Many of them had creative fabricators, and they could install AC in just about any make and model.

With Stude AC, the more you have to, "split" it, the less there is to go around. If just the driver in the car, and all vents are pointed toward him/her, it will keep the person reasonably cool, even at ambient temps of 110-120. If the vents have to be shared with a passenger in the front seat, there's barely enough cool air to go around. Anyone in the back seat is gonna swelter, especially if the front is a bench seat. GT type bucket seats allow some air to reach the back seat, but minimal.

Comment

You could get A/C installed at Sears in the Sears Auto Center...
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by mnmfive View Post
              Are you saying that I can put AC in my 58 President that would be just like a dealer would install in 1958?
              The likelihood of finding a "correct" 1958 a/c like a Stude dealer would have installed is pretty slim. There are companies that sell more modern systems that are designed to fit into older cars. Vintage Air is one of them, and Bob's Stude Parts advertises in most issues of TW. You might also be able to find a used era-appropriate system. For example, I have a complete used system that I pulled from a 59 Lark about 30 years ago. It had originally been installed in Texas when the car was new. It probably could be installed as is, but it would make sense to check the hoses for cracks and to use a modern Sanden compressor in lieu of the original York model. The under-dash evaporator looks much like the units that Stude used -- but then they all did in those days. $100 plus shipping if interested.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

My 1956 President Classic that I owned had a trunk mounted A/C with Studebaker Air Condition metal tag on the unit in the trunk. My 61 Lark cruiser did have a factory unit that was unique to that year but it still looked like an "add on" unit. The unit itself mounted under the dash but the unit went all the way to the floor. Only year that was offered that way.

I do remember seeing in a Motor Trend magazine that had a road test of a 55 K that in the same issue had a 55 Nomad with factory A/C with the round vents in the dash.

Bob Miles

Comment

SInce, "flow through" ventilation didn't exist in early 50-60 cars, recirculating type air conditioners were the available type, most A/C were "add on" even if factory "installed". Mark IV comes to mind as a common add on in the early days. A/C was a "luxury" option, not many people opted for it in a new car. Some regretted later and added it on when they could afford it. I remember the first car my dad owned with A/C was a 1968 Dodge Charger, after sweltering for years in various Studebakers ( Including a 64 R2 Avanti-- torture on one July 4 weekend with temps over 100)--what a difference !!!!!

Comment

I'm thinking about a '76 or 6 F-150 with the 300 six and dealer installed air. The dealer claimed that AC didn't come from the factory with that engine. I also have a circa '77 Pinto with aftermarket Mark IV unit in it. I'm hoping to transplant it into the Champ.

How many aftermarket ACs were there back in the day? I'm thinking at least Mark IV, Arctic Air, ARA, Sears and maybe their competition at Wards. Oddly, there seems to be a lot of cheapie no name Chinese under dash ACs on eBay right now.
                    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                      From 1957 on, AC was an option in Studebakers. Also, many dealers would install when requested, or refer to a shop nearby for the job. Back then, aftermarket companies flourished, and install shops were east to find. Many of them had creative fabricators, and they could install AC in just about any make and model.

With Stude AC, the more you have to, "split" it, the less there is to go around. If just the driver in the car, and all vents are pointed toward him/her, it will keep the person reasonably cool, even at ambient temps of 110-120. If the vents have to be shared with a passenger in the front seat, there's barely enough cool air to go around. Anyone in the back seat is gonna swelter, especially if the front is a bench seat. GT type bucket seats allow some air to reach the back seat, but minimal.
                      Actually, trunk-mounted factory air was offered in 1955, but only in sedans.
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                        Actually, trunk-mounted factory air was offered in 1955, but only in sedans.
                        Right, Paul.

There was a factory air, second-series 1955 President State Sedan barn find "ready for restoration" for sale at the 1998 Austin TX SDC National Meet. IIRC, it was priced fairly for what it was; all there and not at all rusty, but needing everything. I looked it over carefully as it was the first '55 I had ever seen that I was certain had factory-installed air conditioning. Interesting, to be sure.

I wonder what ever happened to it. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have a Wards Riverside under dash unit for my 59 wagon.

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                            My 1956 President Classic that I owned had a trunk mounted A/C with Studebaker Air Condition metal tag on the unit in the trunk. My 61 Lark cruiser did have a factory unit that was unique to that year but it still looked like an "add on" unit. The unit itself mounted under the dash but the unit went all the way to the floor. Only year that was offered that way.

Bob Miles
                            The 1961 Lark factory air conditioner was the only Studebaker unit (including Avanti) that could draw exterior air into it. The reason for the bigger box that you mentioned is that the A/C unit was connected to the exterior air ducting.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

No reason for a Stude to be designed to draw air inside. They already leak enough air inside to insure plenty of fresh air is available.

Matter of fact, best way to improve efficiency of the AC is to plug as many air leaks as possible, starting with the firewall.

Comment

Working...
                              X