PDA

View Full Version : BringATrailer Auctions What does the forum think?

Tommy Kagi
08-12-2016, 08:05 PM
While I spend time reading posts here nearly everyday, I confess that I spend far more time on that site reading and watching auctions and posts. They find and comment on so many different and unique cars. Not all are auctions. Some are offerings from eBay, craigslist, and others and they invite comments on the different cars. It is actually quite educational and entertaining. There are a few regulars that sometimes come off a little annoying and others really profound. Not really much different from here. Right now there is a nice 62 hawk on the site. I was wondering if a forum member here is listing it? I am wanting to know as I am working on trying to list a few non Studebaker cars on the site and I wanted to ask about the experience. Maybe some of you have sold on there. I would like to hear about how it all went.
I also am bringing this up as I think that while it is not eBay, it does offer another place to sell our cars. I really like the anti-sniping feature. Under two minutes each bid resets the clock two minutes so other bidders can keep bidding just like a regular auction. I do not see very many trying to sell Studebakers there. But besides that, I think that there is a lot of wisdom here about a lot of cars and you could share that there on that site and have some fun interacting with non Studebaker folks there. What harm could it do and more brand exposure is good.

StudeRich
08-12-2016, 08:56 PM
I never heard of anyone or VERY few, here or in SDC, and Not here, that have ever used these "Everycar" Guys because of the lack of Studebaker Cars and People there. Just not as big a coverage as eBay and not Studebaker.

If they Charge, it would be a bad investment, for Stude. owners.

OK, so much for us being able to help with that, since you are selling non Studebakers, you are on your own. :)

6hk71400
08-13-2016, 10:16 AM
Bring a Trailer is more interested in Import/Exotics than Studebaker IMHO. Kelly Marion had his 60 Lark Deluxe on the site when he passed away unexpectedly. They have offered to relist the car later. I am not sure if I will go there again as I don't know enough about how the auctions are run. After I inventory everything I will help Cindy Marion sell everything including the 60.

Bob Miles

Tommy Kagi
08-13-2016, 05:29 PM
Thank you for the responses. My deepest sympathies to the Marion family. I was watching that action and wondered if it was an SDC member. Just a suggestion, as I may be more familiar then you after watching a lot of those auctions. Unless they refund the listing fee(250.00), go ahead and put it back up and see what happens. It had a reserve, most auctions there do. It might do well and no harm done. IMHO it is a business and they like to post unique and interesting cars. They do not take just any old cars. They make their money when cars sell. The only cost to the seller is the listing fee. Buyers pay 5% hammer price. That Lark was accepted and listed. Yes there are a lot of foreign and high end cars there but they also have some very interesting cars and well educated and well funded buyers for the most part. The site is packed with car people. Lets face it if Studebaker owners want others to see and appreciate their cars then they need to be seen in as many places as possible. I don't know how many times I have read an eBay or craigslist posting and wanted to scream or cry in disbelief. Once registered you can comment on any of the posting. It educates the buyers and the sellers. I like it but I apologize if I sound like an adman for them. If you guys want to chastise me soundly then I will tuck my tail between my legs and scurry back to the doghouse. Just for your opinions here is the GT hawk. i hope the link works as I am new at this. http://bringatrailer.com/listing/63-studebaker/

wittsend
08-13-2016, 06:11 PM
Under two minutes each bid resets the clock two minutes[/U] so other bidders can keep bidding just like a regular auction.

Interesting. So, two guys could repeated bid each other up the minimum increment every 1:59 until... one of the other falls asleep? Sounds like bidding for indecisive people with deep pockets. I'd say it DOES differ from regular bidding because two minutes is eternity without a bid moving. Most auctioneers close the auction on the item before that dead time elapses.

To me sniping forces decisive people to show their hand - win or not. People don't win because they snipe. People win because they are the highest bidder regardless of how last second their bid gets in. People sometimes get the item for less because of sniping. But that is the only advantage.

"Bring a trailer" is always a nice way to spend free time. It is sort of like self guided "Chasing Classic Cars" with still instead of moving pictures.

mbstude
08-13-2016, 08:53 PM
Thank you for the responses. My deepest sympathies to the Marion family. I was watching that action and wondered if it was an SDC member. Just a suggestion, as I may be more familiar then you after watching a lot of those auctions. Unless they refund the listing fee(250.00), go ahead and put it back up and see what happens. It had a reserve, most auctions there do. It might do well and no harm done. IMHO it is a business and they like to post unique and interesting cars. They do not take just any old cars. They make their money when cars sell. The only cost to the seller is the listing fee. Buyers pay 5% hammer price. That Lark was accepted and listed. Yes there are a lot of foreign and high end cars there but they also have some very interesting cars and well educated and well funded buyers for the most part. The site is packed with car people. Lets face it if Studebaker owners want others to see and appreciate their cars then they need to be seen in as many places as possible. I don't know how many times I have read an eBay or craigslist posting and wanted to scream or cry in disbelief. Once registered you can comment on any of the posting. It educates the buyers and the sellers. I like it but I apologize if I sound like an adman for them. If you guys want to chastise me soundly then I will tuck my tail between my legs and scurry back to the doghouse. Just for your opinions here is the GT hawk. i hope the link works as I am new at this. http://bringatrailer.com/listing/63-studebaker/

I've successfully sold a lot of cars for other people on ebay.. I think the most expensive (on ebay, at least) was a $35K R2 GT Hawk. Every car I've listed sold, and for good money, many times a bit more than the seller wanted. Here's a nice Lark I sold for a friend a couple of weeks ago. http://www.ebay.com/itm/162146198195?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

I'm having a hard time seeing how a Bring a Trailer auction is better than ebay... Ebay charges the seller $125 flat to sell a car (half that of BaT), and only if it meets reserve and sells. If it doesn't meet reserve, the cost is nothing. There's no charge to the buyer.

As a seller, why would I want to use a venue with much less exposure, with a higher cost for the buyer and seller?

I'm all for Studebakers being "put out there" with a lot of exposure. But reality is, it's hard to compete with ebay.

I'm not chastising anyone, so don't run to any dog houses. :)

BTW, I love the snipe bidders. When I sold my own '52 Studebaker pickup on ebay in January, it was great seeing the bidding go 1000 dollars higher in the last 3 seconds. :)