Dropping a c/k gas tank...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropping a c/k gas tank...

...any tips before I attempt this myself?
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

In my experience the hardest part is getting the inlet hose back on. Remove wires from gage sender, remove fuel line, Remove the filler hose connection, remove three bolts, watch out for falling gas tank. Usually the screw on the passenger side has a spring under it, to allow the tank to jostle. Often there is a 1" thick piece of felt on top of the tank to keep it from touching/rubbing against the trunk bottom. Other than that there's nothing to it.

Comment

I used a trolly jack to help support the gas tank as I undid the bolts. I also had a couple cardboard boxes, flattened out on the ground in case the tank slipped off the jack. You'll find the tank will wobble about a bit, but it is manageable - good luck!
      Richard
      sigpic

Comment

I used a piece of plywood a little smaller than the tank between a floor jack and the tank. The tank came down very gently and easily.

Paul
        I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
        1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

I removed mine from my '54 when I was "restoring" it (?) nearly 20 years ago, and I recall that it was a much easier job than I expected. Tom B's description above is very accurate.

Come to think of it, I did this twice. I had the original tank cleaned and then coated internally but still had leaking problems with it. I eventually found a mint condition used tank from a Western car, being sold by someone who was getting rid of it while building a street rod.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
            When I put new bushings in the springs of my (then) '64 Daytona convertible I decided that I had to drop the gas tank. It was over half full and I really didn't want to have to pump out the gasoline. I had a Harbor Freight hydraulic table on wheels. It was about 24 inches long and 15 or so inches wide. It could go down to about four or five inches and up to maybe 30 inches. I ran it under the car and pumped it up to where it was centered against the tank. I unbolted and unfastened everything that needed to to unfastened, then lowered the table to its lowest position then simply wheeled the half-full tank away. After finishing the bushings I reversed the process successfully.
            I thought I had pictures of doing the removal, but I can't seem to find them.
            Last edited by 53k; 08-12-2016, 03:53 PM.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

All the above advice is good. It's just a piece of cake. Here's my Grandson doing mine

Last edited by Flashback; 08-12-2016, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Lou, I'm sure you will see it, but be aware of the fuel recirculation return line input connection in the upper front driver side of the tank. I'm pretty sure the R2 tank is the same as the R1 shown.

Perry
                \'50 Business Champion
                \'50 Starlight Champion
                \'60 Lark Convertible,
                \'63 GT R1,
                \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
                  Drain it first...
                  -------------------
                  Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Got it down pretty easily....and it looks to be in good shape too!
                    Lou Van Anne
                    62 Champ
                    64 R2 GT Hawk
                    79 Avanti II

Comment

Working...
                    X