1964 Wagonaire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Wagonaire

Does anybody know about this Wagonaire on Craigslist? I'm in the market for one, but would prefer automatic trans. Add says runs and drives, but bad floors. It has Washington plates. Does that mean the whole undercarriage is rusted out? Not sure what to look for. Any feedback appreciated.

I would ask for pictures of the rusted areas. Visual is always worth a 100+ words. Studebakers typically, Rust out on the drivers and or passenger floor boards. I have also seen on wagonaires rust on the floor between the front and back door due to the drainage tube.

To me for that price it does not look bad. I have seen worse for more.

There maybe someone in the San Diego area that will go and look at it for you.

Mark

Comment

I believe this one recently Sold on eBay or Craigslist in Washington, and is being "Flipped" again, now in Calif.
      Except for the floors, the Body does look pretty solid.
      But as Mark said, it would be best to physically LOOK at it, or have someone do that.

Add $3 to 4,000.00 for a Rebuilt Studebaker V8 and 3 Speed Manual Overdrive conversion, and it would be a Great little Hauler, still $40,000.00 cheaper than a New "plastic box".
      Last edited by StudeRich; 08-10-2016, 03:14 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Or add less than $1000 for an already running V8 3 speed to make it into a very cheap hauler. $400 Maaco Paint job will have you in the money with a really decent looking and driving car that'll stand out in any crowd. Believe me, I know. Here's my old one. Sadly... now departed from me. I still shed a little tear when I think on it too much.
        sals54

Comment

This one is in Fresno, which also might be an option. http://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/5684248944.html
          Dean Seavers
          Sacramento, CA

Comment

OK that guy who probably is in Hanford, CA is moving and getting desperate enough to take a fair offer.
            Nice looking '65, but it would have had the GM 194 Six, not the 1966 230 Six as stated, unless modified.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You could not spend $1,500 on the car in San Diego and have it not look as nice as the car in Fresno except the 64 appears to have a nice dash. The 65 just has the two pictures so before I took a trip, I would want a picture of the dash.
              I have a car that I got from Oregon and it does have the time optional floor and trunk air conditioning. Because the floor has mats strategically placed where the rust would be as Mark mentioned in his post.

Most Studebaker guys (maybe a bit older type) prefer a manually column shifted transmission.

Probably the best thing to do is set a weekend aside to travel to San Diego and Fresno to take a look at both. Be SURE to take your wife along so you both have something to talk about on the way home.

Good Luck
              Bob Miles
              Tucson AZ
              Last edited by 6hk71400; 08-10-2016, 03:55 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

As far as the rusty floors goes, I've had plenty of Studes with rusty floors, (rain entering thru poorly sealed doors and windows), which had very good to excellent frames. Different animals. Now then, if the car has sat in weeds for many years, the acids in the weeds and grasses can do some severe damage to the frame. My 56 Wagon has large holes in the front floors, but the frame and body on the car are rust free. Go figure.
                sals54

Comment

I have a good running 64 with minor rust in the tail gate and some starting in the rear doors but floors and frame are good, bad dash and have one or two good one to go with the car , this is a Daytona with original black interior seats are split recliners.

Car is an automatic 700R4 hooked to a 69 firebird 305 and FI. power steering and brakes (disk), original top rack, power rear window, rear sway bar.........$3000.00
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

I looked it up and the San Diego Wagonaire is indeed the one sold in Washington for $1475. In the ebay posting the owner discloses that there is rust in the in the rockers pillars and several other places. Too much for me. I'll keep looking.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    I believe this one recently Sold on eBay or Craigslist in Washington, and is being "Flipped" again, now in Calif.
                    Except for the floors, the Body does look pretty solid.
                    But as Mark said, it would be best to physically LOOK at it, or have someone do that.

Add $3 to 4,000.00 for a Rebuilt Studebaker V8 and 3 Speed Manual Overdrive conversion, and it would be a Great little Hauler, still $40,000.00 cheaper than a New "plastic box".

Comment

Originally posted by Luthierbill View Post
                      I looked it up and the San Diego Wagonaire is indeed the one sold in Washington for $1475. In the ebay posting the owner discloses that there is rust in the in the rockers pillars and several other places. Too much for me. I'll keep looking.
                      So not interest in the Fresno wagon?
                      Dean Seavers
                      Sacramento, CA

Comment

I'm always joking with people that if it doesn't (or once didn't) have rusty floors, it's not a Studebaker!
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

There's another hard-to-find Daytona wagon available in Washington state. It, too, has the three speed manual, but it does have a V-8.

Mark L

Comment

Working...
                          X