Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Hawk Production History Lesson

Here ya' go, class, from the listing:

"In 1963, the South Bend plant was closed in June(!) and all 1963 [Hawk, it would appear] production was moved to Hamilton, Canada."

Is Hamilton a new Province? (It's amazing what you can learn on e-bay!)

(And Merry Christmas to all from Brownsburg, United States.) BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Obviously a case of puffing to make his car unique to potemtial buyers or maybe the owner is just really confused.It appears this seller is not aware that vehicles were being built in Hamilton all along

Frank van Doorn
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Conv
    1941 Champion R-2 Rod
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Obviously a case of puffing to make his car unique to potemtial buyers or maybe the owner is just really confused.It appears this seller is not aware that vehicles were being built in Hamilton all along

Frank van Doorn
      1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
      1963 Daytona Conv
      1941 Champion R-2 Rod
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

It always amazes me how those who think they know really don't know a thing. I have had many occasions to talk with folks and straighten out their facts but then there are those who are always correct regardless of the facts. This just another example of that. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!! May you have a blessed Holiday Season.

See you in the future as I write about our past
        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

It always amazes me how those who think they know really don't know a thing. I have had many occasions to talk with folks and straighten out their facts but then there are those who are always correct regardless of the facts. This just another example of that. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!! May you have a blessed Holiday Season.

See you in the future as I write about our past
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Nice looking Hawk, this car is a sister to Dick's former GT. It is pretty clear he saw Dick Steinkamp's ebay ad, and picked up on the "52 four speed Hawks produced in Canada" thing!
            That's when he probably finished re-assembling the interior and decided to cash out! It appears that he never really drove this car, max only 30 miles! Unfortunately he does not show much of the front seats, the seat backs do not look like Stude. if they are, they are totally re-designed, the bottom cushion design is way wrong. This car would make a nice non-show driver, but may need some suspension & steering work, as it is most likely worn original.
            Remember though:
            "Car is for sale locally and in other publications so I reserve the right to end the aution early." That's OK, as long as he doesn't end the auction!

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Nice looking Hawk, this car is a sister to Dick's former GT. It is pretty clear he saw Dick Steinkamp's ebay ad, and picked up on the "52 four speed Hawks produced in Canada" thing!
              That's when he probably finished re-assembling the interior and decided to cash out! It appears that he never really drove this car, max only 30 miles! Unfortunately he does not show much of the front seats, the seat backs do not look like Stude. if they are, they are totally re-designed, the bottom cushion design is way wrong. This car would make a nice non-show driver, but may need some suspension & steering work, as it is most likely worn original.
              Remember though:
              "Car is for sale locally and in other publications so I reserve the right to end the aution early." That's OK, as long as he doesn't end the auction!

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Perhaps they are confusing the month that Avanti production stopped in the summer of '63 with Hawk production mixed with a tad of the exotic Ford powered Studebakers being built in Canada. If I had a dollar for everytime I heard that line at the gas station I would be buying a new Avanti for Christmas that was made in Mexico with Frod engine!!!

1954 Commander
                1958 Golden Hawk
                1963 Daytona Convertible
                1963 R2 Daytona
                1963 R2 GT Hawk
                1963 R1 Wagonaire
                1963 R4 Avanti
                1964 Champ
                1966 Cruiser

Comment

Perhaps they are confusing the month that Avanti production stopped in the summer of '63 with Hawk production mixed with a tad of the exotic Ford powered Studebakers being built in Canada. If I had a dollar for everytime I heard that line at the gas station I would be buying a new Avanti for Christmas that was made in Mexico with Frod engine!!!

1954 Commander
                  1958 Golden Hawk
                  1963 Daytona Convertible
                  1963 R2 Daytona
                  1963 R2 GT Hawk
                  1963 R1 Wagonaire
                  1963 R4 Avanti
                  1964 Champ
                  1966 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeMichael
                    If I had a dollar for everytime I heard that line at the gas station I would be buying a new Avanti for Christmas that was made in Mexico with Frod engine!!!

I won't even say it!!!

Bill Pressler
                    Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    (formerly Greenville, PA)
                    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                    All are in Australia now

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeMichael
                      If I had a dollar for everytime I heard that line at the gas station I would be buying a new Avanti for Christmas that was made in Mexico with Frod engine!!!

I won't even say it!!!

Bill Pressler
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      (formerly Greenville, PA)
                      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                      All are in Australia now

Comment

He says it is the original 259. Were any '63 Hawks made with a 259?

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

He says it is the original 259. Were any '63 Hawks made with a 259?

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I believe it is very possible, in Canada only, since they had the 170 C.I. OHV "6" as an option, (mostly export I think) I am pretty sure the 259 would be also![:0]
                            I think it is original, of course only the build slip would prove it.

StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I believe it is very possible, in Canada only, since they had the 170 C.I. OHV "6" as an option, (mostly export I think) I am pretty sure the 259 would be also![:0]
                              I think it is original, of course only the build slip would prove it.

StudeRich
                              Studebakers Northwest
                              Ferndale, WA
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X