Packard Hawk Carpet color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard Hawk Carpet color

I have 2 Packard Hawks, both 50K miles, both white with tan upholstery. One has chocolate colored carpeting on the door panels and on the floor, and the other has tan colored carpeting. Can they both be correct?

Well Paul out of the 5 Packard Hawks that are owned between my buddy and myself all have tan carpet on the door panels that are in original condition

Here is the latest edition that was purchased from the owner of 33 years, unrestored.
    Brian Greenall
    Melbourne, OZ
    sigpic

Comment

That's faded. Most original ones I have seen were chocolate brown, thick luxury pile carpet. Almost a precurser to shag, but denser.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I think they may be either. They are both fairly low mileage cars and I believe they are both original. The carpet in the one I am absolutely sure of is chocolate, and it has not really faded in color on the exposed floor and under the seats. The tan carpet in the other car seems to be consistently tan, even under the seats, with no chocolate traces. However, the tan carpet is not as luxurious as the chocolate carpet.

Thank you both for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
          I think they may be either. They are both fairly low mileage cars and I believe they are both original. The carpet in the one I am absolutely sure of is chocolate, and it has not really faded in color on the exposed floor and under the seats. The tan carpet in the other car seems to be consistently tan, even under the seats, with no chocolate traces. However, the tan carpet is not as luxurious as the chocolate carpet.

Thank you both for your input.
          I would order the build sheets for both and compare.

Craig

Comment

A tan carpet would naturally harmonize with the tan leather interior....I've never seen one with a chocolate colored carpet....really doesn't sound right at all!

I wonder what color carpet was used in the pair(?) of PH's that were built with white leather interiors?

Comment

Really Ed, are you kidding me? ONLY TWO Packard Hawks had the White Interior's? I am not doubting you because I do not own one, so do not know. That seems like a VERY Low number, I just thought it was a more popular choice than that.

OMG! If that is true, in the Service Dept. of Frank H. Afton Studebaker Packard Mercedes Inglewood, CA in 1957 or '58 when I was about 14, I sat in and admired ONE of TWO of these! I'll NEVER forget that White Padded Dash, that was very impressive!

I was told it belonged to the Los Angeles Zone Office and was being sent around to Dealers as a promotion.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                That's faded. Most original ones I have seen were chocolate brown, thick luxury pile carpet. Almost a precurser to shag, but denser.
                Bez, are you serious?
                Yes its faded but it isn't chocolate brown and its the original carpet.
                I am only trying to post pictures of cars that can back up the question that is asked since nobody else responded to Paul's posting.
                Brian Greenall
                Melbourne, OZ
                sigpic

Comment

Brian, just going by the picture YOU posted, the transmission band cover plate wasn't covered like that. It's most likely not original carpeting.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                    Brian, just going by the picture YOU posted, the transmission band cover plate wasn't covered like that. It's most likely not original carpeting.
                    Nope, you're incorrect Bez,...original Packard Hawk auto trans fluid access covers were definitely carpeted! (Sorry!!)

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      Really Ed, are you kidding me? ONLY TWO Packard Hawks had the White Interior's? I am not doubting you because I do not own one, so do not know. That seems like a VERY Low number, I just thought it was a more popular choice than that.

OMG! If that is true, in the Service Dept. of Frank H. Afton Studebaker Packard Mercedes Inglewood, CA in 1957 or '58 when I was about 14, I sat in and admired ONE of TWO of these! I'll NEVER forget that White Padded Dash, that was very impressive!

I was told it belonged to the Los Angeles Zone Office and was being sent around to Dealers as a promotion.
                      There you go Rich, you can pretend you are 14 again!

If you look up TW Oct 95 it has an article by Fred Fox on 58 Hawks and he mentions that only two PH's were ordered with white trim.
                      Brian Greenall
                      Melbourne, OZ
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                        Nope, you're incorrect Bez,...original Packard Hawk auto trans fluid access covers were definitely carpeted! (Sorry!!)
                        Yes, I know that......mine was too. However, it was bound on the edges, not just a piece glued to the metal cover.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948

Comment

It's amazing how some of Us learn new information every Day,and hopefully throw the old in correct useless info out.

Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post

If you look up TW Oct 95 it has an article by Fred Fox on 58 Hawks and he mentions that only two PH's were ordered with white trim.
                          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post

That's weird. The upholstery in my PH had been redone in tan vinyl but the rear armrest was definitely original and is covered with white leather.

The catalog says front and rear carpets are brown (Not tan or beige) - Does not say whether light brown/tan, medium brown, or dark brown/chocolate.

The catalog says sun visors are amber beige

The catalog says oil hole inspection cover is carpeted in 58s only - not in 56 or 57. In 58 all models were carpeted.

The catalog says kickpads and door trim covers and carpet left and right are amber beige over brown

The catalog doesn't even list white as a color or an option for '58.

Check out this photo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	BluePackardInRestoInteriorRemovedShowingFront.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	1708278
                            Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                            Kenmore, Washington
                            hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                            '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                            '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                            '69 Pontiac Firebird
                            (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

I think most know by now, what 'the catalog says' is not always correct, hence the "fine print" on the backside about 'reserving the right to make changes and continuous improvements', etc. And everyone is aware Studebaker was willing to accept special orders, be it paint color, interior color/choice of materials with the factory documentation to prove it. Perhaps the carpet supplier could have run out of that particular shade and temporarily replaced it with a darker shade on some. We have already read about the small number of Avantis with black-painted dash inserts and steering wheels while they found a more durable imitation woodgrain material.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X