Name:	han3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1751445Click image for larger version

Name:	han4.jpg
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1751446

This weekend was the revving up for the huge Hot August Nights event in Reno NV. The temperature was a scorching 103 on Friday and the event in Historic Virginia City still had a pretty good turnout despite the searing heat over the mountains. Pretty good little drive from Reno down. I kept a close watch on the temperature gauge, little Champ never broke 190 degrees (this was a good thing,) after all the engine and cooling upgrades that were made over the winter.There were only a couple of Studes present Friday. Sunday there were a few more, I was glad I got there late, ended up in a nice spot in the shade. The Packard "Panama Clipper" was leaving early, he had enough. It's one of the biggest car shows in the country, so if you have a Stude, bring it out and represent. The little Champ took peoples choice for the Shriners show which was a complete surprise, there were some really "high dollar" cars in attendance. We are still amazed at how much attention this Stude brings, If I had a dollar for every time I heard "I never seen one of these before," I'd be pretty cashy right now!
    sigpic

Good for you Gene that little truck is a looker. Have fun.

Comment

Hey StudebakerGene, one of our pals should be there in their 54 coupe. It is about the color of the Shelby parked by your Champ. The folks are Bob and Alice, and her Dad bought the car new !!! Great folks, as most car people are, if you see them, tell them John in Hawaii said Aloha. Enjoy it over there, and by the way, your Champ looks great !

EDIT... oops, looks like Bob's car is a bit darker than the Mustang, anyway, I found an old pic of it .
      Attached Files
      Last edited by j.byrd; 08-01-2016, 09:17 AM. Reason: add photo

Comment

Your Champ pick-up has a great look with its pontoon rear fenders, color application, wheels choice and stance. Nicely done!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the comments, It looking like it's time for a new home for the Champ. I'm committed to buying a 37 Coupe Express, which I will have in my possession the first of next month. I have enjoyed making this Champ a good driver and runner. The fact that it sat in a barn for 40 years has helped it to stay rust-free, (original floors, fenders, rockers.) The custom interior is a little dated but still nice and the 45 year old paint really looks like it was painted recently. We have decided that Hot August Nights just might be the time to let someone else enjoy it for awhile!
          sigpic

Comment

I will be there o Thursday. Hope to see lots of car

Comment

Gene, you should never be surprised to receive an award for that truck. It is stunning and even more so when you see it in person. IMHO it is the best looking Champ truck I have yet to see. Far more exciting to look at than your typical Ford, Chevy, Dodge trucks you see at car shows.

I hope someone locally (north California) buys it as I never tire of looking at it.

Roy...here ya go.
              Jon Stalnaker
              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

SDUDE,

given that rig you are driving , I will definitely take that as a compliment. I seem to get the feeling that most everyone in the car show circuit are tiring of the Fords and Chevy's. We have been totally swamped with people interested in Studebakers, the styling seems to be the caveat. I've already turned down trade offers for a 65 mustang convertible (they built about a million of those so they don't do anything for me,) a 67 Chevy pickup truck that was over restored, the owner was taken back by the Stude and I got the feeling he just wanted to be different, Like us! So this week should be very entertaining. I will definitely post more photos through out the meet
                sigpic

Comment

Not going to make it up there this year Gene. Good luck with a sale, how about more details on the Coupe Express? Enjoy, HAN, it has always been a blast for us.
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Shhhhh... Bad ju-ju to talk about a deal before it's at home in your driveway...

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                    Not going to make it up there this year Gene. Good luck with a sale, how about more details on the Coupe Express? Enjoy, HAN, it has always been a blast for us.
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
                      Hey StudebakerGene, one of our pals should be there in their 54 coupe. It is about the color of the Shelby parked by your Champ. The folks are Bob and Alice, and her Dad bought the car new !!! Great folks, as most car people are, if you see them, tell them John in Hawaii said Aloha. Enjoy it over there, and by the way, your Champ looks great !

EDIT... oops, looks like Bob's car is a bit darker than the Mustang, anyway, I found an old pic of it .
                      John, Gene is a friend of mine also many of the ones talking here on this post so ask them if your new 55 coupe is safe with me, still trying to get it moved over to Hawaii, in fact Gene has seen it when he was down to the shop, tell you wife it will get there....Bob
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

You are right Jeff, We have a gentlemen's agreement on the Coupe Express, I don't think he's changing his mind, or at least I hope not. That's why I haven't posted any pictures of it yet. Am I excited --- Hell Yes!
                        sigpic

Comment

I would leave any of my vehicles in Bob Peterson's care, "anytime, anywhere" and if he tells you that he will send it to you, it will come!
                          sigpic

Comment

StudebakerGene and Bob (candbstudebakers), I am excited and patient, unforseen things just happen. Now, my bride ? not quite so much, ha ! Gene, if you see Bob and Alice at Hot August Nights, don't tell him about our "new" car, I will take some glossies when it gets here, and brag about it in the newsletter I send all our locals and ex-locals . It's hard keeping a secret about something I am so excited about tho', ha ! Strangely enough, a 55 is the 1st of our family's cars I ever got to drive by myself (before I got my license!) Here's the only pic I have of it, and my sisters are in the way, ha ! This would be in 61 or 62 I think.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by j.byrd; 08-04-2016, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160605_122821913.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1708139

j.byrd

you are in the best of hands with Bob Peterson, the man is an iconic Studebaker member and "keeper of the flame." He has shipped cars and parts all over this planet for years, whatever he tells you--- Bank on it! I won't spill the beans about your new purchase and you'll be more than happy with your car, Bob doesn't sugar coat anything!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X