GT Hawk Carpet - where to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT Hawk Carpet - where to buy

Like the title says, What is the best bet for plain black loop GT Hawk carpet.

Not real happy with the stuff Rene has done in recent times since he got back into the business, given the price structure, JC whitney fit, $$$$ price. I think he is subcontracting some of his products, unlike when he was Phantom years ago.

Any other options, comments? SI fit quality? PM if you don't care to post.

Back in the day JDP was the go to guy, good price and his stuff fit, but that is no longer.

Originally posted by 4jc8z View Post
    Like the title says, What is the best bet for plain black loop GT Hawk carpet.

Not real happy with the stuff Rene has done in recent times since he got back into the business, given the price structure, JC whitney fit, $$$$ price. I think he is subcontracting some of his products, unlike when he was Phantom years ago.

Any other options, comments? SI fit quality? PM if you don't care to post.

Back in the day JDP was the go to guy, good price and his stuff fit, but that is no longer.
    Just installed carpet in Ceci's 62 Hawk. We got the entire kit from Southeast Studebaker and were happy with it. SMS does nice work but if you order from them you'd better be young 'cause you'll be old when you get it!

Comment

Lemme make sure I understand the OP correctly: You find SE Studebaker's carpet inferior, and you long for the good ol days, and the stuff Polous used to sell?

Last carpet I bought from SE was about five years ago, for a GT. It was as good as ever. Rene had just gotten back in business, and said he was, indeed, subcontracting some of his work. But the quality was same as in 56J carpet I had bought previously over the years, for three different 56Js. Never bought any of Polous' stuff, but my bro in law did---once.

Maybe Rene's products have gone downhill recently, but this is the first I have heard. Good luck.

Comment

I purchase two from Studebaker international on for my brothers President another for my Clipper fit ok the carpet is of poor quality in my view snags easy and the loop is not as dense as original

Comment

Did anyone really answer what the best place was to buy for Hawk GT. Also what type of carpet, loop, cut loop? Mine is not original so I don't know.

Comment

I bought a carpet set for my 64 GT Hawk from Southeast Studebaker and am very happy with it. The fit was better than any other set that I have installed and it looks just as good 5 years later. You can buy cheaper carpet but you need to factor in the added stress of making a poor fitting carpet set work and how it will look after installation.
            Randy Ridenour
            Frostburg,MD
            1964 GT Hawk
            sigpic

Comment

When a customer asks me about a high quality replacement carpet, I refer them to Loga Enterprises. They have top quality carpet in the $300. range and an economy line for a lower price. They also sell door panels, seat covers, headliners, nice trunk liners, windlace, etc. 715 829-7302

Comment

When I got carpet for our Avanti I used Rene at Southeast Studebaker. It was good quality, great fit and finish. Could not be happier.
                Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                Fort Worth, TX

Comment

I would check a local known upholstery shop for a price. Look at the work being done and decide having another choice.

We have Johnny at Scott's upholstery here in town. If you make an appointment to have a car done at 8am, do not show up at 8:30. Johnny sets aside the time for your car and your car only. He can do a complete car in a week. Just about everyone in the chapter has used him with great satisfaction.

Bob Miles
                  Tucson AZ

Comment

A comment: For those interested in originality the original Studebaker carpet was cut-pile, not loop. One of my '64 Hawks has replacement carpet (already done when I got car) and it is a "fuzzy loop-pile." If I look closely I can see the loops, but at a distance it looks more like cut pile. I wouldn't use loop-pile in a Stude; it just wouldn't look right, unless you have a custom Studebaker.
                    -Dwight FitzSimons

Comment

you can check out automotiveinteriors.com they have stud stuff.
                      "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -B Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by TX Rebel View Post
                        When a customer asks me about a high quality replacement carpet, I refer them to Loga Enterprises. They have top quality carpet in the $300. range and an economy line for a lower price. They also sell door panels, seat covers, headliners, nice trunk liners, windlace, etc. 715 829-7302
                        I second that!
                        Ernie takes his time but it is worth the wait.

Comment

Please see post #31 at Carpet Vendor Choice.
                          Bill L.
                          1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
                          X