X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Excalibur Built - Paxton Supercharged

Would you yank the Chevy engine?

Cool! I dig the Mercedes connection.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
      I hear you,...but no I wouldn't.

Comment

Really neat car with lots of provenance. (Noticed that the passenger side traction bar is missing.)

The comparison with the Cobra (weight versus horsepower) was very interesting, this thing must have seemed like a rocket ship in 1965.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

The 327 should be the original engine in a early Excalibur.

Comment

I would not deviate from the factory spec unless it was a minor deviation which improved drivablity or safety....such as a dual master cylinder.
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I would leave it as is.

Craig

Comment

Was the prototype car #1? I think the prototype was the only car to feature a Studebaker 289 supercharged engine. Perhaps this is why the early 327 supercharged. Does this vehicle still exist?
                Last edited by Devan; 07-31-2016, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Way cool. Will be interesting to see what it brings.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

The Studebaker SS had the 289.

Comment

Originally posted by Devan View Post
                      Was the prototype car #1? I think the prototype was the only car to feature a Studebaker 289 supercharged engine. Perhaps this is why the early 327 supercharged. Does this vehicle still exist?
                      It was a Studebaker 'SS' before Brooks Stevens set up his own stand at the 1964 Auto Show. More info here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=excalibur

Craig

Comment

Very cool car, especially 50+ years after the fact, however, I've always found it hard to believe that Brooks Stevens really thought that he might have a 'snowballs chance in hell' Studebaker management would consider buying into something as radical as that......For starters, their 'normal' auto production was hanging by a thread at that critical time!

Comment

Doesn't this car use a Stude Lark Convertible chassis like the Avanti?

Comment

Originally posted by sgriggs View Post
                            Doesn't this car use a Stude Lark Convertible chassis like the Avanti?
                            Yes, all of the first series (1964-1969) models used the Studebaker frame.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                              Very cool car, especially 50+ years after the fact, however, I've always found it hard to believe that Brooks Stevens really thought that he might have a 'snowballs chance in hell' Studebaker management would consider buying into something as radical as that......For starters, their 'normal' auto production was hanging by a thread at that critical time!
                              The Excaibur was Sherwood Egbert's idea, Brooks was just doing what he was hired to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X