Rusty Clipper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty Clipper

How hard would it be to find rear quarters for this 1957 Clipper?

Looks like the super charger has gone missing also.

1954 Commander
    1958 Golden Hawk
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1963 R2 Daytona
    1963 R2 GT Hawk
    1963 R1 Wagonaire
    1963 R4 Avanti
    1964 Champ
    1966 Cruiser

Easier then finding the fronts, and lets not even talk about the chrome plating bill. Patch this one up and drive it, if you want a nice one, cheaper to pay up front for a done car. I'd bet you'd be 25-30K in to do this car up right, but could be a driver for a lot less.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Easier then finding the fronts, and lets not even talk about the chrome plating bill. Patch this one up and drive it, if you want a nice one, cheaper to pay up front for a done car. I'd bet you'd be 25-30K in to do this car up right, but could be a driver for a lot less.

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54664,75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,439.30
      63 Lark 2 door
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Well Micheal, if you don't get this one, I know of another at Big M's in Williams Ca. It's even the same pretty purple (lavender). The last I saw it the upholstry was beautiful!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        Lotsa Larks!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Well Micheal, if you don't get this one, I know of another at Big M's in Williams Ca. It's even the same pretty purple (lavender). The last I saw it the upholstry was beautiful!

Lotsa Larks!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Since it's frowned upon to discuss a seller's exuberant optomisim, I'll only comment on this person's photographic acumen. I can sum it up nicely with two words: It Sucks.

He's got another Packard up as well and in the case of both of them - the photos are akin to looking at the cars on a moonlit night. You know - if you're hoping to tempt someone into forking over a substantial amount of cash for you offering, WHY not provide good fotos??? Just plain DUMB! This is one seller who won't have to worry about an IRS audit.[8]

In response to StudeMichael's question, I think it would be easier to find the FRONT fenders than the rears. I know Tom Karkewicz had NOS fronts for about $200 each in SB last June. The rears are tough to find. Unlike most other postwar Studes, the rear quarters are welded on. And in the case of the 57 Packards, there's a substantial overlay piece that attaches to the rear quarters.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Since it's frowned upon to discuss a seller's exuberant optomisim, I'll only comment on this person's photographic acumen. I can sum it up nicely with two words: It Sucks.

He's got another Packard up as well and in the case of both of them - the photos are akin to looking at the cars on a moonlit night. You know - if you're hoping to tempt someone into forking over a substantial amount of cash for you offering, WHY not provide good fotos??? Just plain DUMB! This is one seller who won't have to worry about an IRS audit.[8]

In response to StudeMichael's question, I think it would be easier to find the FRONT fenders than the rears. I know Tom Karkewicz had NOS fronts for about $200 each in SB last June. The rears are tough to find. Unlike most other postwar Studes, the rear quarters are welded on. And in the case of the 57 Packards, there's a substantial overlay piece that attaches to the rear quarters.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

You are right that Tom had a set, but he wanted $700 for the pair. they were flawless. I have a very nice set of used fronts. And both of the rear quarters. The rear quarters are for a wagon....but a decent body man can make it work. I only have one left so I am hanging on to it, minus one right, I have two rights to sell and will be listing them on ebay in Jan 08.

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
                58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
                58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
                62 Daytona (White)
                63 R2 Lark (Super Red)

Comment

You are right that Tom had a set, but he wanted $700 for the pair. they were flawless. I have a very nice set of used fronts. And both of the rear quarters. The rear quarters are for a wagon....but a decent body man can make it work. I only have one left so I am hanging on to it, minus one right, I have two rights to sell and will be listing them on ebay in Jan 08.

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
                  58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
                  58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
                  62 Daytona (White)
                  63 R2 Lark (Super Red)

Comment

Something looks very fishy here. I have never seen rust in front of the rear wheels. BAD news. I wonder how it looks under the rear seat? Junk pics almost make it look like it has overspray all over the car. I have seen a ton with rust above and behind the wheel, they are the most common areas on the rear fenders.

Comment

Something looks very fishy here. I have never seen rust in front of the rear wheels. BAD news. I wonder how it looks under the rear seat? Junk pics almost make it look like it has overspray all over the car. I have seen a ton with rust above and behind the wheel, they are the most common areas on the rear fenders.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Since it's frowned upon to discuss a seller's exuberant optomisim, I'll only comment on this person's photographic acumen.
                        ???

I have yet to see anyone "frown upon" discussion of overpricing; that serves the useful purpose of educating those new to the hobby/marque on what something's worth. That helps protect people from getting robbed by unscrupulous sellers, which there are plenty of. Same as discussions on condition, especially hidden problems specific to Studes (i.e. hog trough rust)- for constructive, positive reasons! The problems come from making fun of someone's work or taste/vision in a car- a BIG difference!

We need to remember that there are probably WAY more lurkers than participants here, for lots of different reasons- I get lots of e-mails from folks telling me that. As Mr. Shaw says, that type of pettiness makes the club look small; and this group is better than that[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                        Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Since it's frowned upon to discuss a seller's exuberant optomisim, I'll only comment on this person's photographic acumen.
                          ???

I have yet to see anyone "frown upon" discussion of overpricing; that serves the useful purpose of educating those new to the hobby/marque on what something's worth. That helps protect people from getting robbed by unscrupulous sellers, which there are plenty of. Same as discussions on condition, especially hidden problems specific to Studes (i.e. hog trough rust)- for constructive, positive reasons! The problems come from making fun of someone's work or taste/vision in a car- a BIG difference!

We need to remember that there are probably WAY more lurkers than participants here, for lots of different reasons- I get lots of e-mails from folks telling me that. As Mr. Shaw says, that type of pettiness makes the club look small; and this group is better than that[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Bob - sadly there's no "tongue-in-cheek" smilie to select. If there was, I'd be using it often. That line of mine was only as a jovial jab at ourselves.

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Bob - sadly there's no "tongue-in-cheek" smilie to select. If there was, I'd be using it often. That line of mine was only as a jovial jab at ourselves.

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X