HD or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD or not?

This is a photo of a NOS fiber timing gear I installed recently.....I've seen a few of these 'solid center' fiber timing gears, and I believe they're what Studebaker used in production in their '51-'54 V8's.. ........ then, in 1955, they began using the fiber timing gear with the 'X' center....Is this correct?....Or is this 'solid center' fiber gear actually a 'heavy duty' version of the 'X' center type fiber gear?....Opinions?
    Attached Files

What that is has nothing to do with Engine Size, Year or H.D.

It is an AFTERMARKET Copy of the Celeron Gear! They were sold by NAPA and others, I would not call that H.D. just a different design.

Studebaker only used Celeron Brand Fiber, 4 Spoke Cam gears in all except H.D. Truck Engines and Jet Thrust/Avanti Engines which as you know were Alcoa Aluminum spiral webbed not spoked, also not flat like current aftermarket H.D. Aluminum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1685777 Cam Gear.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1708063
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-30-2016, 09:07 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

It is an AFTERMARKET Copy of the Celeron Gear! They were sold by NAPA and others, I would not call that H.D. just a different design.

Studebaker only used Celeron Brand Fiber, 4 Spoke Cam gears in all except H.D. Truck Engines and Jet Thrust/Avanti Engines which as you know were Alcoa Aluminum spiral webbed not spoked, not flat like aftermarket Aluminum.

Wow!!...OK Rich....I had no idea those solid fiber timing gears are aftermarket. Once again, I thought they were early versions of the later gear...Thanks for that info!

Comment

Studebaker only used Celeron Brand Fiber, 4 Spoke Cam gears in all except H.D. Truck Engines and Jet Thrust/Avanti Engines which as you know were Alcoa Aluminum spiral webbed not spoked, also not flat like current aftermarket H.D. Aluminum.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56829[/ATTACH]
        Yes, I recognized the flat aluminum gear as aftermarket....but didn't connect with the solid fiber gear.

Comment

Originally posted by jbjr
          I thought you knew everything there was to know about everything there was.
          "Gee, I wouldn't like that. That would take all the mystery out of life."--Monty Python.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Oh, Oh, Ed!! Unless that pic is an Optical Illusion, that Oil Slinger looks BACKWARDS!

It needs to face Forward to throw the Oil outward toward the Gears, I hope that Engine is coming apart, or a temp Install, NOT going back together!

Do I see a trace of '56-'57 Turquoise Green Engine Enamel on there, so not a 232?
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Oh, Oh, Ed!! Unless that pic is an Optical Illusion, that Oil Slinger looks BACKWARDS!

It needs to face Forward to throw the Oil outward toward the Gears, I hope that Engine is coming apart, or a temp Install, NOT going back together!

Do I see a trace of '56-'57 Turquoise Green Engine Enamel on there, so not a 232?

err...ya, that's correct Rich...it's a 'temp install'!

Comment

HA, ha! Lol!
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hey Rich,... Wanted to show everyone the final position of that oil slinger....SURE DON'T WANT ANY OF MY FANS TO GET THE WRONG IDEA!!!!!!!
                  Attached Files

Comment

You have Fans? I only have distractors!
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here's another engine I 'dabbled' with...it's a 400 CI 'small block' Chevy.

Check out the amount of block 'sculpting' done at the factory to allow that long stroke crank to swing inside an engine that started life at 265 CI!!

Too bad Stude engineers didn't plan ahead for the displacement of the Studebaker V8 to be increased to this extent!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                        Hey Rich,... Wanted to show everyone the final position of that oil slinger....SURE DON'T WANT ANY OF MY FANS TO GET THE WRONG IDEA!!!!!!!
                        That block looks to have the early type frost/frosty/freeze/freeze out/block/water jacket plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                          That block looks to have the early type frost/frosty/freeze/freeze out/block/water jacket plugs.
                          Yep, it's a '55 259 CI, and the frosty plugs are brass 'marine type' from Dave Thibeault.

Comment

We talk about the rarity of 'big port' R3-4 Stude V8 heads,...check out the size of these intake ports...and their not even HP models!!
                            Attached Files

Comment

In this impromtu comparison of a Studebaker V8 vs. Chevrolet V8, we find this particular Chev engine has 141CI on the Stude.....However, in my opinion, the Chevrolet cast iron crankshaft, and 'toylike' main bearings and caps seem puny in comparison to the Studebaker's forged steel crank, and 'beefy', main bearings and caps....One reason why Studebaker engines rarely had 'bottom end' problems, while other engines, like this 400CI Chevy, did!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X