Disc Brakes on A Champ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Disc Brakes on A Champ?

What will it take to make original disc brakes from a GT Hawk work on 63 Champ pickup?
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

I thought the stub axle might be a different diameter (thicker) than the Gt so not a straight fit.
    Certainly the wheel nut spacing would be different.
    pb

Comment

The factory disc brakes are marginal compared to modern disc's on a Hawk. I know from personal experience. Putting them onto a Champ would gain very little. I have Turner disc's on my 61 half ton Champ & they stop on a dime & give change! My 62 3/4 Champ has the original brakes & I cant wait to hear of a disc conversion kit available for it.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

What is the wheel bearing number on a champ? Find a rotor that uses the same bearings. I know the wheel bolt spacing is the same as a Chev pickup so I would start there. Then make a bracket and most likely a s-10 caliper or small truck.

Comment

I bet by the time you "make it work" you would have the same money in it as Jim Turner's kit for Champs.

Disc brakes and a T 89od completely changed my Champ.
          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
            The factory disc brakes are marginal compared to modern disc's on a Hawk. I know from personal experience. Putting them onto a Champ would gain very little. I have Turner disc's on my 61 half ton Champ & they stop on a dime & give change! My 62 3/4 Champ has the original brakes & I cant wait to hear of a disc conversion kit available for it.
            Warren,
            The pattern for the 3/4 ton (8 lug) went to the machine shop yesterday, hoping to have it back by mid week next week. If so, and it all bolts up, should be available within 30 days. this will NOT be a bolt on kit! The hubs will require machining and the new rotors will also require some modifications.
            Since I have had some time to get things done, Since the 8 lug is now pretty much done, may need some tweaking, I am now working on the 6 lug pattern, that will not be any easier, the 7.25" bolt pattern is no longer a common pattern. The 6 lug pattern will also NOT be a bolt on kit. Pricing has not yet been determined, also depends on demand.

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

Good advice my friend...I think you are correct....scrapping that idea!
              Originally posted by Kurt View Post
              I bet by the time you "make it work" you would have the same money in it as Jim Turner's kit for Champs.

Disc brakes and a T 89od completely changed my Champ.
              Lou Van Anne
              62 Champ
              64 R2 GT Hawk
              79 Avanti II

Comment

Working...
              X