Naming the Champ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naming the Champ?

Does anybody know why Studebaker used the name Champ on their pickups so soon after discontinuing the similarly named Champion car?
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Probably because a "Sparrow" to compliment the Lark, sounded too wimpy for a Big Bad Truck!

The Sparrow sub-Compact Car was stillborn.

Unfortumitely the "namer" is probably no longer with us, but I am sure it had nothing to do with the Engine, there were 4 Engine Options on 1960 "Champs", Two Sixes and Two V8's.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I don't know about the Champ name, but I do know why it is a T cab.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

OK, I'll bite, why?
        Originally posted by studegary View Post
        I don't know about the Champ name, but I do know why it is a T cab.
        Lou Van Anne
        62 Champ
        64 R2 GT Hawk
        79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
          OK, I'll bite, why?
          Nothing to "bite" on - not meant to be a joke.

The Transtar was a C cab, so some Studebaker people with a sense of humor thought that the Champ should then be a T cab.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Probably because they had a bunch of left over scripts and they could break off "ION" and have a new product line!!!!!

I mean, the Avanti was just a Lark......with a different body.......

The Lark was just a 58 Commander with different fenders.......

Isn't that how they always did things?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

If they would have stayed in business, we may have had Studebaker Commandion, or a Champer, or an Avantion, or Larkander or LAvanti or Hawkanti, or Hawkion, or CHawk, or Hawkster,.........the list goes on!
            Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
            1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

I have an old framed studebaker advetisement from about 1930 which touts the racing exploits of Studebaker...so I am guessing they used it in that regard originally....winner of races...?
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

The Champ, like all Studebaker trucks, was designed to work. Hence, Champ: someone who won't give up on you. When someone saw an individual, in the fifties and sixties, that really excelled at something they would marvel at them and say, 'There's a real Champ!' So, the name might have been a play on words like that. After all, are not all model names nothing more than a marketing ploy?
                My guestimate for the day...
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Chrysler used the Champ name on a rebadged Mitsubishi in the 1970's-'80s.
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

You missed Speedmander!

Originally posted by BILT4ME View Post
                    Probably because they had a bunch of left over scripts and they could break off "ION" and have a new product line!!!!!

I mean, the Avanti was just a Lark......with a different body.......

The Lark was just a 58 Commander with different fenders.......

Isn't that how they always did things?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

If they would have stayed in business, we may have had Studebaker Commandion, or a Champer, or an Avantion, or Larkander or LAvanti or Hawkanti, or Hawkion, or CHawk, or Hawkster,.........the list goes on!
                    Ron Dame
                    '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                      Chrysler used the Champ name on a rebadged Mitsubishi in the 1970's-'80s.
                      OH! You mean like the Challenger, Daytona and Commander that Chrysler/Jeep "borrowed" from Studebaker?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2006-Jeep-Commander-limited.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	1708054 https://youtu.be/tXNzERkhD8E?t=5
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 07-29-2016, 12:55 PM.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My guess.
                        I always felt the CHAMP name made people think of Champion.
                        Champion had some positive brand loyalty with the public, so it wasn't a detriment to have it abbreviated.

Whenever the big 3 had a negative image over one of their smaller cars, the next version always received a new name.

Chevy is a big one with re badging. Vega, Monza, Beretta, Cavalier, Cobalt, Cruze. The list goes on. I can't even think of them all. One day, they will run out of 'C' names.
                        For Chrysler, I still like the name Neon, but no it had to be renamed a Dart.

Stude-Preferred

Comment

i always thought the first gen neons were a really nice coherent design. They got uglier though with each iteration.
                          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                          X