1958 Jet thrust 289 with supercharger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 Jet thrust 289 with supercharger

I came across someone who is selling a rebuilt Jet-thrust 289 from a 1958 Golden Hawk. It has the supercharger and all the components, but I imagine the supercharger needs a rebuild as it has been sitting for several years. The guy claims he turns it to keep it from rusting internally, but still probably needs rebuilding. Anyway, he wants $2800 (Im sure I could negotiate a lower price with him) for the whole package. Is this a good deal?

Jet Thrust wasn't a Studebaker name until 1963. The McCulloch supercharger was called a "jet stream" supercharger. There was no special additions to a standard 289 to add the McCulloch blower, other than the things required to mount the blower package, and the springs in the centrifugal advance. That is, there was no special (different)heads, no special cam, gear, or bearings, or any of that which the later engines DID have.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Ok so its basically a base 289 with a blower? I could just buy the blower and parts to set it up for $1k.

Comment

It's most likely out of a 57. Nothing really special in terms of the motor. It is a regular 289 with a supercharger setup. The full setup can go for $1500 to 2000. For 2800, all of it should be in good running condition

Comment

Brad's accurate comments boil down to the obvious fact that, if this IS a "PS" Serial Number Code '57 Golden Hawk Engine, it is only worth more if it is going in a GH without a correct Block.

For any other model, only the Supercharger and Mountings and associated goodies add any VALUE, since the "Jet Thrust" or "R" Avanti Engines are built for the added high performance use stress.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well unless he comes down on price, I will probably pass on it.

Comment

I wouldn't make any assumptions till I checked the serial # on the engine block......Years ago, more than one Avanti engine ended up in a Golden Hawk (OR a Speedster OR a '51 Commander Starlight Coupe!!)

Comment

He is going to check the serial number and get back to me. He told me the engine has never been ran since it was rebuilt 8-11 years ago. The cylinders were fogged and the engine was turned regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by 58PackardWagon View Post
                  It's most likely out of a 57. Nothing really special in terms of the motor. It is a regular 289 with a supercharger setup. The full setup can go for $1500 to 2000. For 2800, all of it should be in good running condition
                  I guess that your comment that it is a 57 is based on the numbers produced and models that used it each year. Without the Engine Number, we do not know if it is a 1957 or a 1958. It could possibly be a 1963-1964 or something cobbled together.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If anyone has a '57 or '58 Golden Hawk and needs a "PS" block, I have one for sale.
                    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Working...
                    X