Anyone Know This Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Know This Truck

A friend wants to buy this truck and wanted to know about fair price etc. It's in Montana and I understand it does run with original running gear. He's asking $5500 for it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	13631444_1836442739919692_1940445033192040071_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1751400 Click image for larger version

Name:	54 3R back.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1751401
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

My suggestion is to offer 2500.00 and see what he says. The worst is a definitive NO. I dare say... no one is busting down his door. I am enclosing a photo of a car I purchased out of Nevada. He was asking 50,000.00 for the pieces and parts of a 1930 L-29 Cord. I offered 25k immediately. Told him my offer was good for 24 hours then I would buy another project that was far less money and not a pile of pieces and parts but assembled. He called me later in the day and gave me a number of 30k. Allen Barth took the check with him to Nevada.....called me and said all metal was but surface rusted. I would have paid more but my low ball bid paid off. I would post some shots but I will not hijack someone's thread.

Bottom line is ....nothing ventured .....nothing gained.

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
      A friend wants to buy this truck and wanted to know about fair price etc. It's in Montana and I understand it does run with original running gear. He's asking $5500 for it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56698[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]56699[/ATTACH]
      It looks familiar, there might have been a thread over on the Studebaker Truck Talk about it.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

It appears to be one of the few ULTRA Rare 1954 Models!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yeah, a 3R5 or 3R6. With a radio antenna in the "correct" position and rear bumper.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

In my opinion, a "C" cab, from '49 to the last, is pretty equal in value, when it comes to restoring, driving, and enjoying. The '54, being "rare," is of little consequence to me. It mostly means, they didn't sell many. Engine options, drive trains, short bed, long bed, two piece windshield, single windshield, and all the other variations of how they were dressed, is the "fun" part. Anyway you want one equipped, they are still basic, uncomplicated, honest, little dependable vehicles.

Whether a basic half ton six, big six, or V8, light chassis, heavy hauler, Scotsman or Transtar, they cast one of the most iconic shadows of their era. How many others accomplished that while spanning an entire decade of production?
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

A long time Studebaker owner has his '56 1/2 ton - V-8 with overdrive for sale on Corvallis, Oregon craigslist for $2500.00

Comment

Can you find 1-piece windshields for these trucks ?

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                  Can you find 1-piece windshields for these trucks ?
                  Yes. Phillips Glass has them for around $375.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                    A long time Studebaker owner has his '56 1/2 ton - V-8 with overdrive for sale on Corvallis, Oregon craigslist for $2500.00
                    I wish it was closer. I would love to examine the truck myself. If it is as good as it looks, it would be an alternative to my current plan of installing a V8 in my 6 cylinder truck.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Wonderful patina, reasonably straight tailgate, spare and carrier in place, rear bumper, radio.

The '54 is my favorite year, but unfortunately, that means a 6-cyl and that's why I bought a '55.

It will always be an unfathomable mystery why Studebaker didn't offer the V8 in pickups from '51-on. Yes, most mid-western farmers were CASOs and the V8 would have taken a year or two to catch on, but it would have cost nothing to do so and any additional sales would have been gravy.

Then, in '55, choosing the gutless 224" as the first pickup V8 - why would that ever have been a good idea? The lack of off-idle torque led to the demand for the Commander six to be reinstated. No reason to drop the big six in the first place, because it would have cost nothing to keep it in the lineup; even a troglodyte placing a new truck order deserves to have his preference if it's economically profitable.

jack vines
                      Last edited by PackardV8; 07-26-2016, 01:58 PM.
                      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                        Wonderful patina, reasonably straight tailgate, spare and carrier in place, rear bumper, radio.

The '54 is my favorite year, but unfortunately, that means a 6-cyl and that's why I bought a '55.

It will always be an unfathomable mystery why Studebaker didn't offer the V8 in pickups from '51-on. Yes, most mid-western farmers were CASOs and the V8 would have taken a year or two to catch on, but it would have cost nothing to do so and any additional sales would have been gravy.

Then, in '55, choosing the gutless 224" as the first pickup V8 - why would that ever have been a good idea? The lack of off-idle torque lead to the demand for the Commander six to be reinstated. No reason to drop the big six in the first place, because it would have cost nothing to keep it in the lineup; even a troglodyte placing a new truck order deserves to have his preference if it's economically profitable.

jack vines
                        Yup -- all good points. The fact that more than half of Studebaker's 1955 trucks were sold with V8s tells you how late they were introducing the V8.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                          It will always be an unfathomable mystery why Studebaker didn't offer the V8 in pickups from '51-on.

jack vines
                          I spoke with a former Studebaker dealer in Georgetown, Texas, that ordered a new 2R16 to use as a dealer wrecker and tried to get South Bend to put in a 232 in 1953. They said it couldn't be done by them so he ordered the truck and had a complete 232 and had the crate tied down to the rear frame of the truck to be shipped together. He said his two shop mechanics had the big six out and the 232 in its place over a long weekend and it was still the dealer wrecker when he sold out in '65. That truck was in a salvage yard in the late '90s in Liberty, Texas, and hope someone saved it...

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                            I spoke with a former Studebaker dealer in Georgetown, Texas, that ordered a new 2R16 to use as a dealer wrecker and tried to get South Bend to put in a 232 in 1953. They said it couldn't be done by them so he ordered the truck and had a complete 232 and had the crate tied down to the rear frame of the truck to be shipped together. He said his two shop mechanics had the big six out and the 232 in its place over a long weekend and it was still the dealer wrecker when he sold out in '65. That truck was in a salvage yard in the late '90s in Liberty, Texas, and hope someone saved it...
                            I do not doubt the story, but the fact is that Studebaker had already done all the engineering necessary to install the V8 in a C-cab truck. They built more than 2000 of them for export to India during 1951-54. They were RHD, 4x4, 1.5-ton trucks with 232 V8 engines and 4-speed transmissions.
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                              The fact that more than half of Studebaker's 1955 trucks were sold with V8s tells you how late they were introducing the V8.
                              My '54 Truck Fact Book shows the availability of the V8 in the 1-1/2 ton, (3R28) & up, but not in the 1/2 to 1 tons.

I got to see a couple of '55's with V8 last weekend parked side by side.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X