A different kind of Studebaker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A different kind of Studebaker.

Yesterday my wife and I had just arrived home from an outing with our Silver Hawk. She was driving so I got out to open the door where we keep
    the car when a car pulls up in the alley. A man about my age and a young man about 15. He said he spotted us driving through town and followed us
    home. We had just came from a car show so I told him they could get out and look at the car if they liked. They got out and he introduced himself as
    Mike Studebaker and his son Dillon. Well, I figured there is lots of people with the Studebaker name and there probably was no relation to the ones I had read about. Then he went on to tell me that his 4th. great grandfather was indeed Clement Studebaker. He also knew the family history better than
    I, so I am quite certain he wasn't pulling my leg. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. He and his son both wanted to sit in the car and look it over closely so by this time I was more than happy to oblige. I got a few pictures of them with the car and we chatted a while about Studebaker stuff. Then he told me he had recently moved to town and asked permission for another visit someday hopefully with his father. I was more than eager to grant permission for this. I guess we all live in a small world.
    Is there any other members that have had an encounter with a distant Studebaker relative?

Is he aware the Studebaker National Family Foundation as mentioned here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...wn-MD-in-1700s

Craig

Comment

We have a member in our chapter who is indeed a Studebaker....
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I have done some research and, unless I am wrong there were two Clement Studebakers, father and son. Senior was the wagon maker and junior was the one who started making automobiles in 1902.

Comment

The late Henry Studebaker of Olympia, WA had a large painting (print, I don't remember) of a 'tree' with all the 'branches' and his line back to one of the original brothers.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Here in Oregon, the mayor of the town of Lake Oswego is a Studebaker and traces his routes to the family. He does not own a Studebaker car or truck. . . yet.
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I remember back in the early 1970's having lunch with Emert Studebaker who I believe founded the Studebaker Family Association and still have a coffee mug from that time that I got as a gift. IIRC, it was just outside of Dayton, Ohio. He had a sizable Studebaker collection and I got a ride in a near pristine 3/4 ton Champ pickup...

Comment

Since "Studebaker" is a modified version of the original name, they are all related somehow, I'm sure.

Comment

Clement Studebaker Sr and family arrived in this country on 08-31-1736 on the HMS Harle accompanied by his older brother Peter and family and his unmarried younger cousin Henrich. They walked off of the Harle in the Port of Philadelphia on 09-01-1736. They were taken immediately to Market Square swore allegiance to King George II and the Penn family. These records remain and in possession of the PA Museum and Historical Commission. Both brothers were granted 250 acre Penn's Land Grants in Berk's County (now PA0 but never executed them. Peter moved in 1737/38 to western Fredrick County MD and assisted his friends the Hagers (who taught him and Clement English on the Harle) and helped them found Hagerstown MD now in Washing County. Clement remained in PA. reappearing in 1749 in Paradise Township York County (now Adams County) where he was a blacksmith/farmer and more. His third son was Clement Jr. who was a carpenter/joiner and blacksmith. Clement Jr owned 235 acres in Tyrone Twsp Adams County and was the father of John Clement who married Rebbeca Mohler of Ephrata PA. John Clement was the father of Henery, Clement, John Mohler, Jacob and Peter. Of course these five brothers were the famous ones we all know. Want more of the story of the early years of the family in America? Just email me and ask. I'll be more than happy to tell you a lot more.
                  Last edited by Avantidon; 07-25-2016, 08:28 AM.
                  sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                    We have a member in our chapter who is indeed a Studebaker....
                    We have 2 members in North Carolina............
                    Jack White
                    Charlotte,NC
                    North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

I know many descent dents personally an most are SDC members and many own and drive Studebakers as well

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
                        I remember back in the early 1970's having lunch with Emert Studebaker who I believe founded the Studebaker Family Association and still have a coffee mug from that time that I got as a gift. IIRC, it was just outside of Dayton, Ohio. He had a sizable Studebaker collection and I got a ride in a near pristine 3/4 ton Champ pickup...
                        Are you sure that wasn't Carroll (sp?) Studebaker? The description fits him.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

From what I have read, when the three and their families arrived in Philadelphia, their surname was misspelled on the immigration log. No immigrants since have been spelled STUDEBAKER. So, logically, if the name is Studebaker, there is a link. It may be to a branch of the family other than John Clement and his five boys but, family nonetheless. Avantidon can correct me if I'm wrong.
                          I also believe there is some evidence that the family has traced its roots in the area of Sollingen, Germany as far back as the sixth or seventh century. There were extensive family history articles in Turning Wheels several decades ago.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Brad, you are correct their actual name was Stauenbecker a pure German name. Others say it was spelled different than that but the records in the Pa Museum and Historical Commission archives show it as Studebaker on the Penn's allegiance records. The family traces it roots to Sollingen Germany where Peter and Clement were members of the craftsmen guild as they were skilled makers of swords and cutlery of all types. The Guild refused to allow them to leave so they moved and changed their trade to blacksmiths Clement was a prolific father with many children while Peter was not so prolific. Many many members of the family traveled west but only John Clement Great Grandson of Clement Sr. traled to South Bend and settled there. I'd have to get my history file out to tell you where everyone else went including those like Clement Jr who stayed in the Adams County area of PA. By the way Heinrich was single when he came here in 1736. However, in 1756 when he was killed in an Indian raid in today's Franklin County PA. he was married with at least 4 or 5 children. In the raid he and his oldest son were killed. The Indians carried off his daughter , son and wife with a newborn. Because she could not keep up she and the baby were also killed leaving only the one son and daughter with the Indians. Their story is another fantastic Studebaker story equal to many others.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              Are you sure that wasn't Carroll (sp?) Studebaker? The description fits him.
                              I don't think so... Here's his obit. http://www.studebakerfamily.org/our-founder/

Tipp City rang clear in my mind...

Comment

Working...
                              X