Civil forfeiture.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil forfeiture.

If you are interested in this or it happened to you.
    Last month, the Supreme Court tossed out the case Alvarez v. Smith, a challenge to a portion of the asset forfeiture in Illinois that allows the...

Robert Kapteyn

Yeah, if you're gonna drive around with 17 grand on you you better have a current license etc.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Having 'Mary Jane' ride with you is ALWAYS a big mistake!

Comment

Not necessarily,

Maybe you should have written, "Having 'Mary Jane" ride with you is ALWAYS a big mistake if driving outside of Colorado or Washington states, or are under the age of 21 in those states or are driving while high in those states, or are driving on Federal territory while within those states."

Here, it's legal for a regular citizen over the age of 21 to have up to an ounce of MJ in their possession and they can consume it where they please as long as it isn't within view of the "general public." Of course, they can be charged with public intoxication or driving while intoxicated; and there are tests the police can conduct to determine the level of THC in one's blood at the time one is charged.

The medical marijuana laws here are even more liberal. If someone here holds a medical marijuana card as a patient they can purchase any combination of the following from a licensed retail marijuana store:

- One ounce of usable marijuana
        - Sixteen ounces of marijuana-infused product in solid form
        - Seventy-two ounces of marijuana-infused product in liquid form, or Seven grams of marijuana concentrate

For qualified patients and designated providers, under state law, qualified patients and designated providers have an affirmative defense to criminal prosecution as long as the patient or designated provider has completed a valid medical marijuana authorization form and complies with the legal amounts allowed to possess and grow — up to 15 plants and 24 ounces of usable marijuana. They also allow medical patients to form mini co-ops - I think of up to 4 persons - and grow their own weed up to a certain amount.

This medical marijuana rule might have changed by now because it was written as "Up to July 1, 2016." I don't know what, if any rule changes, restrictions or revocations have been instituted since July 1st.

So, if any of you old retired hippies are longing for the good old days, and wish there was someplace you could comfortably re-live them before you leave this rock, come on up to Washington State for your Maryjane vacation and bring along your trailer or camping gear. Stop at a retail weed shop after you leave the airport or have crossed the state line, make your choices, pay your money and then head out and rent yourself motel or hotel room, or a camping spot out in a private, state or county park, and toke away till your heart's content. As long as the blinds are pulled and the tent flap is down, you are not within the general view of the public.

Don't forget to bring your recordings of your favorite 60's and 70's tokin' tunes.
        Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
        Kenmore, Washington
        hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
        '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
        '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
        '69 Pontiac Firebird
        (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Ha!!!! Sometimes...a little remaining ignorance, or innocence, is not so embarrassing after all! I'm now in my seventies, watched a lot of television, movies, and been exposed to a couple of lifetimes of stuff. I've survived combat, put myself through college, raised a family, and worked a long career.

But, to this day...first thing that comes to mind when I hear "Mary Jane," is the name of a penny candy you could buy in 1951, or the pretty little girl in my third grade class. Associating the name "Mary Jane" with marijuana has never been part of my "word association" scheme...and I hope it stays that way.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Hee, Hee,

Well, I used it because he used it. Folks around here mostly refer to it as marijuana or weed. Incidentally, I love Mary Jane candy. Bought a bag of it not so long ago at a dollar store during a rest break on a haul trip across the country. Boy, was that a mistake. Once I got started, I couldn't stop. I finished off that bag within 200 miles. Wanna guess what happened when all of that molasses got into my system? Let's just say that it wasn't pretty - that's for sure. Stops were a whole lot more frequent after that.
            Kenmore, Washington
            hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
            '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
            '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
            '69 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
              Not necessarily,

Maybe you should have written, "Having 'Mary Jane" ride with you is ALWAYS a big mistake if driving outside of Colorado or Washington states, or are under the age of 21 in those states or are driving while high in those states, or are driving on Federal territory while within those states."

Here, it's legal for a regular citizen over the age of 21 to have up to an ounce of MJ in their possession and they can consume it where they please as long as it isn't within view of the "general public." Of course, they can be charged with public intoxication or driving while intoxicated; and there are tests the police can conduct to determine the level of THC in one's blood at the time one is charged.

The medical marijuana laws here are even more liberal. If someone here holds a medical marijuana card as a patient they can purchase any combination of the following from a licensed retail marijuana store:

- One ounce of usable marijuana
              - Sixteen ounces of marijuana-infused product in solid form
              - Seventy-two ounces of marijuana-infused product in liquid form, or Seven grams of marijuana concentrate

For qualified patients and designated providers, under state law, qualified patients and designated providers have an affirmative defense to criminal prosecution as long as the patient or designated provider has completed a valid medical marijuana authorization form and complies with the legal amounts allowed to possess and grow — up to 15 plants and 24 ounces of usable marijuana. They also allow medical patients to form mini co-ops - I think of up to 4 persons - and grow their own weed up to a certain amount.

This medical marijuana rule might have changed by now because it was written as "Up to July 1, 2016." I don't know what, if any rule changes, restrictions or revocations have been instituted since July 1st.

So, if any of you old retired hippies are longing for the good old days, and wish there was someplace you could comfortably re-live them before you leave this rock, come on up to Washington State for your Maryjane vacation and bring along your trailer or camping gear. Stop at a retail weed shop after you leave the airport or have crossed the state line, make your choices, pay your money and then head out and rent yourself motel or hotel room, or a camping spot out in a private, state or county park, and toke away till your heart's content. As long as the blinds are pulled and the tent flap is down, you are not within the general view of the public.

Don't forget to bring your recordings of your favorite 60's and 70's tokin' tunes.
              WOW!!!...that's a lot of info!......Well, in the future should anyone have any questions concerning 'pot', I think we now know who to ask!!!
              Last edited by SN-60; 07-24-2016, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Sure ask away,

Google is my friend. Ask me anything you want and I can probably provide you some kind of decent answer in just a few minutes. Or, you can just go straight to google and search for Washington State Laws for medical and recreational use of marijuana.
                Kenmore, Washington
                hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                '69 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                  If you are interested in this or it happened to you.
                  Last month, the Supreme Court tossed out the case Alvarez v. Smith, a challenge to a portion of the asset forfeiture in Illinois that allows the...

Robert Kapteyn

There should be an open season for lawyers with no bag limit...

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
                    S'funny,

That's exactly what I say about people that clean a roof with a pressure-washer just about every time I go up onto an asphalt comp roof to inspect it and discover that some idiot with a pressure-washer had been up there blasting away and stripping the protective layer of stone granules off the cover.
                    Kenmore, Washington
                    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                    '69 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
                      There's only one good one, the one I use. Bob

Comment

"There's only one good one, the one I use. Bob"

Is his name Bernie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNWtYtJlvwo

Perhaps in this election year, this song would seem inspirational:

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music Group North AmericaBlizzard Of Lies (Vocal) · Dave FrishbergDave Frishberg Classics℗ 1991 Concord Jazz, Inc.Released o...

And if you are worried how things might turn out, this will put your mind at ease:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                        Last edited by 48skyliner; 07-25-2016, 05:58 PM.
                        Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                        See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

A lot of discussion about MJ but nobody talked about civil forfeiture.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

In some states, there is no need to allege possession of drugs or any criminal offense to "legally" steal a motorist's cash. The fact that one is carrying cash is considered sufficient grounds to suspect that illegal activity is taking place, and a groundless "suspicion" is all the guardians of our property need. Agencies are incentivised to steal cash from motorists and courts offer little actual help for honest victims. TN & LA are notorious and Congress has done nothing to help though legislation has been introduced.

Comment

The referenced article shows that no drugs were found, and no drug charges were filed. The only evidence of drugs was the dog alerting. Another article turned up somewhere about a man, I believe of Laotian descent, collecting money for a charity, and having receipts for the donations, being stopped in Oklahoma for a tail light out. A dog was called, the dog alerted, no drugs were found, but the money was found, and was taken. No charges were filed. I think I recall a much earlier article about a man taking cash to a car auction, being pulled for something small, having his cash found by an alerting dog, and having his cash also taken. 90% of my recollection is probably wrong, but my memory of those articles, and reading the referenced article above makes me question: Are the dogs trained to alert to cash in addition to alerting to drugs?

Comment

Working...
                              X