Rear axle torque and grease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Rear axle torque and grease

I searched the forum looking for info on torquing the rear axle hub nut on my 49 2R5 because page 150 in the shop manual says 120-130 ft lbs, but the torque chart in the back of the manual says 240-250 ft lbs. I found a post from Robert Crandall from last September that has raised another question. Why no grease on the shaft or bore? Is there really a chance of slippage, straining the key and keyway?
    1949 2r5 28196
    170ci 6cyl
    4spd

The hub needs to go on dry. If you grease it the hub will crack. I have a torque wrench just for that because mine are spec'd to 175 ft/lbs
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

This point cant be stressed enough, hub goes on dry, axle dry, key dry taper in and down. don't ask how we know just take our words of advice, hub's/ drum's getting scarce!!! Doofus

Comment

Torque to 170, then torque more until the holes line up.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks everyone. What's the preferred method to keep the axle from turning while torquing the nut?
          1949 2r5 28196
          170ci 6cyl
          4spd

Comment

Once you've gotten past 100 ft-lbs or so, you can lower the truck far enough down to keep the tire from turning.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

How many times do you torque to 170, then think you'll break something trying to get that next constellation... ?

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                How many times do you torque to 170, then think you'll break something trying to get that next constellation... ?
                Every time.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                X