Battery ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery ideas?

I'm shopping for a recommended one from the pool of pros and amateurs here! I've bought a few from my local NAPA, but they tend to puke when filled just to the ring (not the top) and leave a nice mess, even with the battery pad. If memory serves, they're exide brand.
    Mind you, they've not let me down over time, I just have to keep the water level lower than I'd like.
    What have you liked for dependability and a nice dry working area?

Western Washington, USA

If you don't mind a non-original look, go with a sealed Optima.
    I have one in my custom and i don't have to worry about leaks.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I think anything Exide is pure crap, and most of the auto parts store batteries are made by Exide. Interstate is still pretty good, Delco is excellent, Sears aren't as good as they once were. For a combination of low price and good quality I've been buying Costco batteries. I think they are made by Johnson Controls. Costco also sells Optima if you want to spend $150.

Dwain G.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Optima, Tom, there is no choice. If you are handy you can disguise it as a tar top, too. Absolutely no sputter, put it in any position.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars3.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe
        '55 President State Sedan Project
        '60 Lark VI (Now on Ebay)
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

If you didn't want to spend for the Optima (which is a great batt) I'd go with an autozone battery, they are made by Johnson Controls and I have had good luck with them.
          Thanks

Randy Wakefield
          ----------------------
          1955 President sedan

"For the future that we wait..."

Comment

I have a 12 volt system and use a WalMart battery. I do keep it charged in the non use periods. Six volts batteries, I always got at a local farm supply house, no problems with those batteries.

Comment

Tom; here in Wash. you and I have the Schucks Auto Parts stores. Some States know them as Kragen or Checker, anyway I get the Autolite Batteries there (not to be confused with the now defunct Autolite Electric Co.) they bought the name.

I think it is another Johnson Controls Batt. whatever it is, it's a very good buy for the $69.95 for the Standard 84 month Orange & Black label one, not the premium 94 one, it's overpriced not a good value for my money.

These Batteries do not have all the plastic built in carry handles, weird color cases, protruding cell covers etc. like some do, they look like a Studebaker batt. with a black case and with the decal they really do!

The height is right for the hold down and they still make the Group 24, be careful not to get the 24F (Ford) it's posts are backwards!
              The Diehard Silver & Gold no longer come in group 24, I think only the Weather Handler does, and it has raised cell covers that the hold down doesn't fit, as was said: they USED to be good!

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks all! Merry Christmas!

Western Washington, USA

Comment

Have you tried Antique Auto Batteries service? They make reproduction batteries for any classic cars. See this link: http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/

Comment

I've seen a site back a few months which sold "old style" covers for modern batteries. I'll try to find it.

Paul

Comment

Those are GREAT for trailered show cars, but the downside to paying a lot for a Tar Top, is the old design caps will spew acid all over your fresh engine and compartment paint and maybe chrome! Not really what Tom needs for a driver.

StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I know this isn't a great picture, but the holder is a stock Studebaker battery holder in a 53 coupe.

Its not a true tar top, but conceals an Optima. Its made from Formica and glue. Oh yes, a trio of real caps. The battery is mounted diagonally.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars3.jpg[/img=left]
                        Tom Bredehoft
                        '53 Commander Coupe
                        '55 President State Sedan Project
                        '60 Lark VI (Sold, delivery in two weeks.)
                        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                        All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

Its not a true tar top, but conceals an Optima.
                          Nice work, Tom []

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Regardless of the brand of battery, they shouldn't boil over or spew anything anywhere. True, a fine film of acidic material will eventually form on the battery top, but that takes time. If it's boiling over or liquid is running down the sides of the battery, then it's being overfilled and or overcharged.

As far as electrolyte level goes, as long as you keep it over the top of the plates, you're ok. The orginal "maintanence free" batteries were nothing more than an ordinary battery with extra electrolyte. Instead of having to fill the battery every so often, you just ran them several years until the plates were exposed, the plates sulfated and then you bought a new battery. I've pried the caps off of a lot of maintanence free batteries because they needed maintaining!

Comment

I would add the maintenance free batteries have CA and perhaps another element or two add to the plates. Is this wrong? I think some of this is to stiffen the plates to make them thinner so more plates can be p;aced into a smaller area, result is higher cranking amps.

Comment

Working...
                              X