PDA

View Full Version : Year the automatic shift pattern changed

Jeff T.
10-03-2006, 10:01 PM
When did Studebaker(and the industry)change the automatic shift pattern moving reverse from the end of the pattern to between P and N.

I need to pick up a V8 automatic for my project so I figured on getting something that will not get shifted into reverse when an inexpereienced driver might want Low.

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
The Replacements.

N8N
10-03-2006, 10:11 PM
The Flightomatic never did change. Only the Powershift had the "modern" pattern, which was mandated across the board by a FMVSS... um... sometime. Probably after 1966.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

StudeDave57
10-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Studebaker kept them that way to the end, but (starting in '63) there were some special ordered with the 'Power Shift' (the 'other' pattern you're speaking of)- those are nice to find, but not the norm~ except in the Avantis and 'R-powered' cars!!!

StudeDave [8D]
V/P San Diego County SDC
San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
'57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
'57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
'57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
'58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
'65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

rockne10
10-03-2006, 11:18 PM
Inexperienced drivers have probably never seen a column shift automatic; they all seem to be on the console anymore, unless they are big land yachts. And I keep retelling the story about a professional mechanic at a Chevy dealership who didn't know how to put a three-on-the-tree into reverse.
Column shift automatics have a window that tells you what gear you've selected. If an inexperienced driver selects the wrong gear, he/she is not yet ready to be looking through the windshield.

Off my soapbox now.

JDP
10-04-2006, 12:15 AM
Small point: While Powershifts were often ordered on Avanti Powered Larks/Hawks, many were sold with the Flight-O-matic.

http://stude.com/sig.jpg
Studebaker On The Net
http://stude.com
Studebaker News Group
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
Arnold Md.
64 Daytona HT
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
63 GT Hawk
63 Avanti R1/AC
63 Avanti R2 (Sold)
63 Daytona HT
63 Lark 2 dr.
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark convert
60 Hawk
57 Silver Hawk
53 Starliner
51 Commander

Bill Pressler
10-04-2006, 07:08 AM
Exactly. My R1 Lark, built on 9/28/62, has the Flightomatic. Build sheet says so too. I've had people tell me, "Can't be"!

Bill Pressler
Kent, OH

ROADRACELARK
10-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Bill,
Also the same with my 63'Cruiser, R1 #4822. It originally came with the standard FOM, as did most all of the early Larks without bucket seats.
As the factory found out the standard FOM's couldn't "stand the strain" of increased power, IIRC there was a "recall" and all of the early cars were up-fitted with the "heavy duty" FOM, under warranty. That included...trans, torque convertor, fluid lines and a new radiator w/ built in cooler. To my knowledge, there were no "factory produced" Power Shift or 4-speed cars without bucket seats. :)
Dan Miller

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
Road Racers turn left AND right.

N8N
10-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Dan,

what about '61 Hawks? Also I know of at least one '63 R2 Lark that came from the factory with a bench seat and four speed (now has buckets though) and IIRC Lee just picked up an R2 Wagonaire with a front bench and four speed.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

ROADRACELARK
10-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Nate,
The 61 Hawk had the WIDE bucket seats, no console, also had the curved shifter and not the straight one like the GTs. I'm sure they may have been some "engineering-detoured" special orders on the early cars, but when the "package" program started, the buckets became part of the package with the Power Shift.:)
Dan

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
Road Racers turn left AND right.

StudeRich
10-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Jeff; if you have never owned a Flight-O-Matic, when you do you'll get it, (how to drive it that is). It's really pretty easy, Studebakers' "reason" for the pattern was as their advertising said: "to easily go from Reverse to Low to "rock the car" to get out of mud or snow". You learn to always push AWAY from the wheel, going from Neutral through drive and Low, and the detents will prevent selecting Park or Reverse, that's IF your shift housing is not all worn out!

quote:Originally posted by Jeff T.

When did Studebaker(and the industry)change the automatic shift pattern moving reverse from the end of the pattern to between P and N.
I need to pick up a V8 automatic for my project so I figured on getting something that will not get shifted into reverse when an inexpereienced driver might want Low.Jeff T.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

GTtim
10-04-2006, 11:29 PM
I think there is a hydraulic lock-out built into the transmission to keep reverse from being engaged if the car is going more than about 4 mph forward. Seems to me I tested that feature once upon a time, but I'd be too chicken to do it now.

Tim K.
'64 R2 GT Hawk

StudeDave57
10-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Well, If that's the case, they don't work too good!!! I have also unintentionally hit reverse at a much higher speed then 4MPH~ it went right into gear, and I PROMPTLY took it right out of course!!! That's the only time I've ever 'chirped' the tires in that '65, and it's never going to happen again if I can help it!!! [:0] [B)]
A very long time ago, way before my brother put the 400SBC/700R4 combo in his '59 Lark that car once had it's trans shifted into reverse (by a young passenger) at an extrime speed as well- that trans didn't live as long as mine... [xx(]

StudeDave [8D]
V/P San Diego County SDC
San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
'57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
'57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
'57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
'58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
'65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

StudeRich
10-05-2006, 02:00 AM
Tim; you are remembering the Studebaker Automatic Drive, the Detroit gear 3 band ones. That is true of them, but not so, the Flight-O-Matics as Dave said, they DO engage reverse!:(

quote:Originally posted by GTtim

I think there is a hydraulic lock-out built into the transmission to keep reverse from being engaged if the car is going more than about 4 mph forward. Seems to me I tested that feature once upon a time, but I'd be too chicken to do it now.
Tim K.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

John Kirchhoff
10-05-2006, 11:04 AM
I know this doesn't have anything to do with studes, but it's a good story none the less. When I was young, a neighbor gal had the carb on her '56 Caddy worked on at a shop a mile from my house. She was lead footed and of course when she headed for home, she floored it. The throttle stuck and by the time she rounded the S curve by my place, that big old wallowing road barge was doing 80 mph with tires squalling in distress. By the time she neared her house another mile down the road, it was topping 90 with no signs of relenting it's quest for WFO. From there it was another straight mile and at that speed, straight off an embankment for an blazing Evil Knevil ending to her ride. In front of her house she made the decision that put that old black Caddy in the weeds for the next 15 years. Rather than simply turn off the key, she threw it into reverse. The tranny literally exploded and parts were scattered along the road for 300 feet or more. If you want to visualize the ensuing carnage, just throw a handfull of ball bearings across a gym floor. Some stories are just too good to keep to yourself! However, I will keep to myself the story of our egg customer, his rusty old Chevy wagon, the concrete block in the road and the tranny in the seat next to him.

Jeff T.
10-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the tranny info... I was not sure if the pattern was changed or not... All of my Stude automatics are from sixes and will not work with an eight unless I intend to kill them in short order.

A couple of automatic stories:

My sister once asked me what would happen if you shifted a Chevy powerglide into reverse at highway speed. ( I owened a 66 Chevelle at the time)

I replied: an awful noise??

No, she replied, it just stalls....

My sister was teaching my brother to drive with my 62 Lark and he got confused with the FOW shift pattern and backed into a Camero that was parked too close to our driveway. Turned out that the Camero had plates from a minivan and dubious title history i.e. may have been stolen and the police only found out because of a Studebaker "ecentricity"

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
The Replacements.