63 window sticker question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 window sticker question...

What's the deal with #93 and #96. Are they recouping the business costs of selling this?

Bob Johnstone
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

These figures do not appear on the window price sticker, only on the dealer invoice. To answer your questions however, yes.

Richard Quinn
    editor: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

These figures do not appear on the window price sticker, only on the dealer invoice. To answer your questions however, yes.

Richard Quinn
      editor: Antique Studebaker Review
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

With silent mufflers, that's gotta be an Avanti! [^][]

And it was worth every penny, advertising, TV or whatever! Because I believe that car cost way more than the $4500.00 they charged, to build!

Send me a full truckload, I'll take em all!

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

And it was worth every penny, advertising, TV or whatever! Because I believe that car cost way more than the $4500.00 they charged, to build!

Send me a full truckload, I'll take em all!

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Bob, I love the shot of your 55 with a straight stretch in front of it just beggin to put the hammer down an not let up till the corner comes at ya!I have a 55 hardtop I used to drive ,but without power steering it was a bear to turn at slow speed.The body is still solid,so I may attempt to put it on one of my GT frames once I get to retirement an have the time.Neil
            NEIL G.

Comment

Bob, I love the shot of your 55 with a straight stretch in front of it just beggin to put the hammer down an not let up till the corner comes at ya!I have a 55 hardtop I used to drive ,but without power steering it was a bear to turn at slow speed.The body is still solid,so I may attempt to put it on one of my GT frames once I get to retirement an have the time.Neil
              NEIL G.

Comment

Thank you, Mr. Quinn...

Yes, an Avanti.

And yes, Neil, that shot was taken by a fellow traveler, Paul Johnson, driving his 64 Avanti behind us as we motored along on our Route66 Tour, in 2003. I think it was in New Mexico and we had one in front of us and 5 vehicles behind.. We drove a little over 6000 miles on the trip and the car performed like it was factory new. Wonderful experience..

I have lotsa pics, if you're interested...

Bob Johnstone
                64 GT Hawk (K7)
                1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Thank you, Mr. Quinn...

Yes, an Avanti.

And yes, Neil, that shot was taken by a fellow traveler, Paul Johnson, driving his 64 Avanti behind us as we motored along on our Route66 Tour, in 2003. I think it was in New Mexico and we had one in front of us and 5 vehicles behind.. We drove a little over 6000 miles on the trip and the car performed like it was factory new. Wonderful experience..

I have lotsa pics, if you're interested...

Bob Johnstone
                  64 GT Hawk (K7)
                  1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Such charges are still included on dealer invoices today, except they are much more substantial. During my years in the car business twenty years ago, it was the usual to argue with people who had obtained an invoice price from the library or at their credit union (this was before the internet) as to why I had to be several hundred dollars above their "invoice" to even try to sell them at invoice. The charges are real and paid on every car. I think I've read somewhere that Studebaker began charging dealers for TV advertising when the Mr. Ed exclusive sponsorship began.

Kevin Wolford
                    Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
                    60 Lark VI Conv.
                    63 Avanti R1

Comment

Such charges are still included on dealer invoices today, except they are much more substantial. During my years in the car business twenty years ago, it was the usual to argue with people who had obtained an invoice price from the library or at their credit union (this was before the internet) as to why I had to be several hundred dollars above their "invoice" to even try to sell them at invoice. The charges are real and paid on every car. I think I've read somewhere that Studebaker began charging dealers for TV advertising when the Mr. Ed exclusive sponsorship began.

Kevin Wolford
                      Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
                      60 Lark VI Conv.
                      63 Avanti R1

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

<snip>
                        Anyone know the full story behind Avanti "Silent Mufflers"[?] TIA

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

&lt;snip&gt;
                          Anyone know the full story behind Avanti "Silent Mufflers"[?] TIA

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

I believe the charge for silent mufflers was due to the manufacturing cost.('')
                            After all, the standard muffler was just a wide spot in the exhaust..

Bob Johnstone
                            64 GT Hawk (K7)
                            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I believe the charge for silent mufflers was due to the manufacturing cost.('')
                              After all, the standard muffler was just a wide spot in the exhaust..

Bob Johnstone
                              64 GT Hawk (K7)
                              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
                              X