PDA

View Full Version : 63 R1 Carburetor Rebuild Question

Never Enough Studebakers
07-17-2016, 02:12 PM
I just received my SI carb kit for my R1. And the needle & seat are much different then the ones I removed from the carb. The new needle and seats are longer and when installed the float won't move at all or not with out a lot of float adjustment anyway. I thought I would see if anyone else has encountered this with Avanti R1 carb kit.

Prior to the rebuild, I jacked up the rear end of the Avanti to look at disconnecting the fuel line from the tank so I could drain the old fuel out. While the back was up in the air gas started to pour through the carb and down the intake. So I purchased a new carb kit and also a fuel pump. So I wonder if someone rebuilt this before and used the wrong needle and seat.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank You
Jim

rkapteyn
07-17-2016, 02:36 PM
Always install solenoid in the gasoline.
Many Avantis burnt the way you describe
Wire it to the ignition switch.
Any suggestions on what solenoid to use?

Robert Kapteyn

SN-60
07-17-2016, 03:19 PM
I just received my SI carb kit for my R1. And the needle & seat are much different then the ones I removed from the carb. The new needle and seats are longer and when installed the float won't move at all or not with out a lot of float adjustment anyway. I thought I would see if anyone else has encountered this with Avanti R1 carb kit.

Prior to the rebuild, I jacked up the rear end of the Avanti to look at disconnecting the fuel line from the tank so I could drain the old fuel out. While the back was up in the air gas started to pour through the carb and down the intake. So I purchased a new carb kit and also a fuel pump. So I wonder if someone rebuilt this before and used the wrong needle and seat.

Thank You
Jim

Entirely possible!...The way gas flowed through the carb when the car was 'nose down' probably means the carb needles and seats weren't operating correctly.....Go with the needles & seats in the new carb kit and adjust floats accordingly!

PS...IMPORTANT!....I once had a flooding problem with an Avanti AFB carb that drove me nuts!....It turned out that one of the 5/16" core plugs had fallen out of a secondary venturi cluster.....When you overhaul your carb check these core plugs, which are located at the rear of all four venturi clusters, and seal with J-B weld if any of them appear to be working loose. :)

karterfred88
07-17-2016, 04:35 PM

Thank You
Jim
The R1 carb is a pretty generic AFB. I have used many different suppliers, never had a wrong needles and seats--are you sure someone didn't do a carb substitute? The inlet needles and housings are pretty long in comparison to some other carbs. Click a photo and post it here. The AFB should either have a tag under one of the top cover screws, or be stamped on the edge of the front mounting base with the model number. Jacking up the car will sometimes overflow the float bowls out the vent tubes-especially if set too high to start with.

Never Enough Studebakers
07-17-2016, 04:51 PM
The tag was missing and I will look for the stamp. I will also post a picture here in about an hour. Thanks

Never Enough Studebakers
07-17-2016, 06:09 PM
The number stamped on the carburetor is 3589S which my kit from SI covers. The needle and seat on the left are the new ones from the kit and the right side is what I removed from the carb.

SN-60
07-17-2016, 08:35 PM
The number stamped on the carburetor is 3589S which my kit from SI covers. The needle and seat on the left are the new ones from the kit and the right side is what I removed from the carb.

The new ones look correct to me! :!:

bezhawk
07-18-2016, 09:48 AM
The ones on the right look like high flow seats out of a Rochester Carb which although they will fit, they also will flood easier. They present more surface area to the fuel pressure, so they unseat easier. Also some large displacement Chrysler products also used this type of seat in their Carter carburetors. (which is probably what you have). Most Studebaker vendors have the correct parts for your car. Ordering from other places, nowdys, will either get you blank stares from a pimple faced kid that never held a carburetor in his hands, or someone that has never heard of a Studebaker.

karterfred88
07-18-2016, 11:43 AM
You have the right ones now. Be careful trying to set the float drop and height, as the float tangs and arms may have been monkeyed with, to make the old ones "work". Good luck!!

Never Enough Studebakers
07-18-2016, 04:02 PM
Thanks Everyone, I really appreciate the HELP!!! Yeah the float tangs are really bent due to the original needle and seats. This is why I asked first, so if I didn't have to make a drastic adjustment I wouldn't. There will be a lot of bending to make the new ones work.