1956 Pelham Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 Pelham Wagon

I heard there were not many of these made in 1956. Does anyone have one in good shape or has retired one?

Pete

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-07-16 at 1.28.18 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	1751355

I think the '57 Pelham 6 (Champion) and Parkview V8 (Commander) are overall much better looking especially the Front End.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Taupe Parkview Texas8 .jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1707896 Click image for larger version

Name:	57Parkview_IncaYellowRR.jpg
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1707897 Only 738 '57 Parkviews, a lot more '57 Pelhams and even MORE Scotsman Wagons.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      I think the '57 Pelham 6 (Champion) and Parkview V8 (Commander) are overall much better looking especially the Front End.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]56477[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]56478[/ATTACH] Only 738 '57 Parkviews, a lot more '57 Pelhams and even MORE Scotsman Wagons.
      Strictly a matter of opinion,...but I've always felt the '56 series sedans & wagons are much 'cleaner' and have a nicer overall appearance than the '57-'58's!

(A good example is the overdone tail lamp assy used on the '57's, compared to the stylish yet simple '56 version)

Comment

Yep that has always been a matter of Taste, I won't say not everyone has any, just that it does differ!

What I do not like about the '56 Wagon is that short cropped Rear quarter makes the complete side view look unbalanced.
        And then of course there is that wanna be Hawk Grille. I do have to say though, that '56 Sedan Rear is one of the MOST beautiful designs EVER.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My 56 is not a Pelham, (I don't think), but I do love it. I'm pretty sure its a Commander.
          Last week I ran the fuel lines, got the fuel sender ready, (a modified 66 Mustang sender), and have had it running several times getting the kinks out of the electrical. Radiator is in, electric fans will go in next week. Exhaust is on. Boy, its got very limited clearance under there, thats fer sher. Progress has been soooooo slooooooow. My business is taking all my time lately. But I guess I shouldn't complain about that, eh?
          It still looks the same as it did after the top chop.

sals54

Comment

According to the Classic Car Database, there were 2,236 Pelham wagons built in 1956.
            I prefer the styling of the 56's over the 57's. Really don't like the tail and rear treatment at all on the 57's, most especially on the wagons. The tail light assembly is not bad... not great... but acceptable. The front end is good. So, a second best for me.
            I have to agree with Ed on the 56's. Elegance in simplicity. A pan would be those silly fibreglass fins. I'm debating removing them. Bess will never be a show car as long as I own her anyway.
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
              My 56 is not a Pelham, (I don't think), but I do love it. I'm pretty sure its a Commander.
              Last week I ran the fuel lines, got the fuel sender ready, (a modified 66 Mustang sender), and have had it running several times getting the kinks out of the electrical. Radiator is in, electric fans will go in next week. Exhaust is on. Boy, its got very limited clearance under there, thats fer sher. Progress has been soooooo slooooooow. My business is taking all my time lately. But I guess I shouldn't complain about that, eh?
              It still looks the same as it did after the top chop.

This wagon has the potential to be a 'real looker'!....The chopped roof really works on this car!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                This wagon has the potential to be a 'real looker'!....The chopped roof really works on this car!
                Potential?????? It already is a real looker!
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

It's interesting the way S-P adapted the '56 Golden Hawk fiberglass fins to these wagons. (Or was it the other way around??)

Comment

If you're not concerned about the number of doors, James and Stephanie Bell are selling a '57 4-door Provincial wagon in Bellingham WA.

Mark L

Comment

Originally posted by Mark L View Post
                      If you're not concerned about the number of doors, James and Stephanie Bell are selling a '57 4-door Provincial wagon in Bellingham WA.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5657006667.html
                      Nice looking car....clean interior, and I dig the power steering!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark L View Post

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5657006667.html
                        Thats a really good looking wagon. Especially for the price. I decent looking, nice running, starting and stopping car for $4500 ? ? ? Thats a steal.
                        sals54

Comment

The Lark roof/top chop sure makes that puppy look sleek, almost slinky.
                          It looks good now, but with the right paint treatment. POOCHIE ! Sweeet !
                          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I'm just dying to take it for a spin. Next couple of days I'll be at Disneyland with the grandkids. Then I'll get back and be swamped with work again. Sooooooo, maybe the following week I'll finallly get to drive it.
                            sals54

Comment

I certainly prefer the '56 interiors over the '57 models! A lot was given up on the Studebaker side to make the '57 Clippers more distinctive.

I also like the '56 sedan 'red flare' rail lamps and the exhaust ports exiting through the bumper, kind of like the senior Packards but nicer. And the front styling has always reminded me of '55-56 Thunderbird's.

Chris.

Comment

Working...
                              X