Ross Gear Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Ross Gear Box

Well I know it has been a long time since I have posted anything but I have been working a LOT on my 56 Champion 2dr.

To give some idea. I have taken the engine out. Bought a new one from SI. Painted to the correct colors. New Pressure plate, Clutch, and throw out bearing. I also painted bell housing to match engine and recent rebuilt transmission.

I took the front suspension out and replaced ALL of the bushings. I put New springs from SI and new shocks. Repainted all components.

I also ground down the Engine cradle, transmission cradle, and frame rails to bare metal and repainted semi-gloss black. I also painted the firewall black.

I have rebuilt and painted the starter and Generator to original.

My question is on the steering gear box I replace a leaking seal behind the pitman arm and a new gasket on the opposite side.

The lubricant was dark black and thick. Is it an oil or grease? The shop manual calls for Kendall 400 or Kendal 200 alternative. My local guys are not sure as to what that is.

Where do I get it and how full do I fill the unit.

I have gone this far and I do not want to do anything wrong at this point.

Thank you for any help.

Seems like the consensus of opinion is John Deer Corn Head Oil.

Comment

I had a tube of 'steering box grease' from SI,it is black.
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Here's a few prior discussions that could be of value to you.

John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I just parted out a derelict '56 Champion 2-door. It had a small Saginaw box in it, and I am pretty sure that was original. Did they fit both types to the Champions? I thought the Ross box was used on C/K cars and Commanders.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I am not sure if they put both brands on Champions but the Shop manual has a listing for both on the Lubrication chart.

Do you still have any parts left of the 2dr? Now that HOPEFULLY my mechanical items are re-done next I am doing the interior. Like floor pans seats, headliner, door glass, etc..

The following year is body and paint.

Comment

Yes many Years, all Champions did have the slightly quicker, Saginaw box between 1953 and 1958, no Commanders did.

They are the same Worm and Sector Type so not a Huge improvement, but most everyone that has one finds them a bit better and longer lasting than a Ross.

I am NOT talking about the MUCH better Late Saginaw Recirculating Ball Type on '61-'66 Larks, or the '54 to '57 Saginaw Power Steering Box, Night and Day difference.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The only "interior" parts I saved were the window regulators, and some door handles. The doors, and trunk lid I kept. And the engine, transmission, and rear end. All else was scrapped. It was real tough, and had been sitting in the woods for years with no windows in it.
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                X